Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Three Stars on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:22 pm

...and will pick first overall for the 3rd consecutive year.

It sucks to be the Blue Jackets. :(
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,575
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby canaan on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:24 pm

"the Edmonton Model"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,608
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Edmonton should be scary good in a couple years. They really need a stud Defenseman though.. I dont think they really need Yakupov. Hall and Eberle and Paajarvi/Omark is a good core of forwards, they need help elsewhere IMO
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,700
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Somehow they'll still miss the playoffs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,664
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Edmonton should be scary good in a couple years. They really need a stud Defenseman though.. I dont think they really need Yakupov. Hall and Eberle and Paajarvi/Omark is a good core of forwards, they need help elsewhere IMO


Well....take Yakupov and figure out how to parlay other assets for a young D.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,652
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby npv708 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:35 pm

columbia wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:Edmonton should be scary good in a couple years. They really need a stud Defenseman though.. I dont think they really need Yakupov. Hall and Eberle and Paajarvi/Omark is a good core of forwards, they need help elsewhere IMO


Well....take Yakupov and figure out how to parlay other assets for a young D.


Heck, they could trade down and pick up Murray or Trouba and still be in awesome shape.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,658
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Three Stars wrote:...and will pick first overall for the 3rd consecutive year.

It sucks to be the Blue Jackets. :(


Its easy to win a championship when you have so many first overall picks... :scared:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Three Stars wrote:...and will pick first overall for the 3rd consecutive year.

It sucks to be the Blue Jackets. :(


Its easy to win a championship when you have so many first overall picks... :scared:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Bettman has turned his attention to the Oilers.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,559
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Headshot77 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:31 pm

I feel like the blue jackets are cursed. (also, they are so moving to quebec)
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Mosby on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:33 pm

npv708 wrote:
columbia wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:Edmonton should be scary good in a couple years. They really need a stud Defenseman though.. I dont think they really need Yakupov. Hall and Eberle and Paajarvi/Omark is a good core of forwards, they need help elsewhere IMO


Well....take Yakupov and figure out how to parlay other assets for a young D.


Heck, they could trade down and pick up Murray or Trouba and still be in awesome shape.


I agree that they should listen to trade offers to move down any where in the top 5. Use the pick to take Murray/Trouba and get another asset. There is a lot of skill in the young Oiler top 6 but they are small and soft there too. While skilled, I don't like the team as a deep playoff team as it's too run and gun. Their defense needs more help then the offense.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Staggy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to draft Yakupov and then trade Hall, Paajarvi, or Omark for a young D-man?
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,839
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby mikey287 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Staggy wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to draft Yakupov and then trade Hall, Paajarvi, or Omark for a young D-man?


Depends on the deal. Trade Hall...? Bleh...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,004
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Staggy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:51 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Staggy wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to draft Yakupov and then trade Hall, Paajarvi, or Omark for a young D-man?


Depends on the deal. Trade Hall...? Bleh...


Yeah, I haven't really watched any Oilers games the past three years except for when they play the Pens. I really don't know how all their young players are looking so I just threw him in there with the other two.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,839
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Hall is such a bulldog on the ice....I hope to see him on the Oilers for years.
Someone like him makes hockey worth watching.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,652
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Mosby on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Staggy wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to draft Yakupov and then trade Hall, Paajarvi, or Omark for a young D-man?


Paajarvi or Omark wouldn't bring in much of a young d-man as both are question marks as NHL players. Oilers need high-end defenseman.

Yakupov hasn't played a game in the NHL. The Oilers have flexible with what they already have forward-wise to listen to offers. If they don't like any offers, they can just take Yakupov.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:09 am

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Firebird on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Headshot77 wrote:I feel like the blue jackets are cursed. (also, they are so moving to quebec)

They aren't going anywhere. They have a state of the art arena and Ohio is a decent hockey state.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,761
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby npv708 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 pm

I think the Panthers, Coyotes, and Islanders could all move relatively soon. Even the Devils are a possibility with their ownership issues.

Here's what should happen:

Panthers to Seattle, become super sonics
Coyotes to Quebec, become Nordiques
Islanders to Brooklyn, become Bombers
Devils to Kansas City, become Scouts.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,658
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Headshot77 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 pm

npv708 wrote:Coyotes to Quebec, become Nordiques
Islanders to Seattle, become super sonics
Blue Jackets to Kansas City, become Scouts.

Fixed
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby jimjom on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:22 am

Ib4 Tangradi for Yakupov
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,841
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Kaizer on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:29 am

Panthers to Seattle, become super sonics Totems
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,306
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby cma3585 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 am

Surely a respectable Canadian organization would NEVER do something like the Pens and tank to get three #1 picks.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,439
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Godric on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:13 am

Ryan Nugent Hopkins is going to be a hell of a player... I don't really know about Hall or MPJS, or Omark.... Eberle seems to have what it takes
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 am

jimjom wrote:Ib4 Tangradi for Yakupov


Glad you hurried up and got that one in
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,448
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Edmonton wins the draft lottery...

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:38 am

If you have the 1st pick and there's a clear-cut #1 (and there is), you don't trade down
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,448
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Next

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail