Caps learned to play defense

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Caps learned to play defense

Postby MarioLives on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Did the pens and caps switch bodies? Caps actually look like they are playing defense and a disciplined system
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:43 pm

They still don't have any hope of winning the Cup.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,655
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Godric on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 pm

I actually put green on the caps to win it all
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Godric wrote:I actually put green on the caps to win it all


One of the worst franchises in sports history...? You should have donated the money to charity...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,013
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby columbia on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Godric wrote:I actually put green on the caps to win it all


I put money on the Bruins, after two losses to VAN last year. :slug: :fist:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,688
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Steve on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Sad to say, but I think NYR in the finals. Looking at the matchups: Pens, Flyers, Boston - two of those will be gone, and the remaining team beat up, by the time they will have to play the Rangers.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,665
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Steve wrote:Sad to say, but I think NYR in the finals. Looking at the matchups: Pens, Flyers, Boston - two of those will be gone, and the remaining team beat up, by the time they will have to play the Rangers.


NYR would most likely face New Jersey in the 2nd round... a team that could very well knock them off.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,133
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby penmyst on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:51 am

The Caps "defense" has more resembled the sort of "defense" a spindly little kid puts up as a bully rains fists down on his head and forearms. Have you watched both of those games? The Bruins could have and should have won both running away. Other than the Caps PP, the Caps haven't mustered hardly any periods of sustained offensive pressure. The Bruins have went for long, constant, continuous sessions of forecheck--shot--forecheck--shot--forecheck--shot ad infinitum.

If it weren't for Holtby playing lights out, the Bruins would be up 3 games to 0 after the first 2. That's not a typo, it's an exaggeration for effect.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Caps aren't exactly playing an offensive powerhouse in Boston. Biggest difference from years past and this year is Mike Green. The guy doesn't make the same stupid plays he once did in the hopes that he can someday be the offensive stud he wanted so badly to be.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,202
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby C4 Row E on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:53 am

mikey287 wrote:
Godric wrote:I actually put green on the caps to win it all


One of the worst franchises in sports history...? You should have donated the money to charity...


I have the Kings at 50/1. I should have a little fun over the next few weeks.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,954
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:44 am
Location: 119

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 am

They had a highlight of Semin actually laying down to block a shot last night. Has any Pen's forward done this (outside of Adams)? Clearly the Caps now have their version of HCMT.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,702
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:03 pm

:face:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,670
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Maybe they space jam'd the penguins ability to play defense away from them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,560
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:39 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:They had a highlight of Semin actually laying down to block a shot last night. Has any Pen's forward done this (outside of Adams)? Clearly the Caps now have their version of HCMT.


Now that I think of it, you're right. I remember Pens' players throw themselves in front of the puck a couple years ago. I don't remember us doing that much lately. Maybe we did become lazy and entitled.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:They had a highlight of Semin actually laying down to block a shot last night. Has any Pen's forward done this (outside of Adams)? Clearly the Caps now have their version of HCMT.


Now that I think of it, you're right. I remember Pens' players throw themselves in front of the puck a couple years ago. I don't remember us doing that much lately. Maybe we did become lazy and entitled.


Pens have blocked 36 shots in 3 games, tied for 9th in the playoffs. Breakdown
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,133
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby offsides on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:They had a highlight of Semin actually laying down to block a shot last night. Has any Pen's forward done this (outside of Adams)? Clearly the Caps now have their version of HCMT.


Now that I think of it, you're right. I remember Pens' players throw themselves in front of the puck a couple years ago. I don't remember us doing that much lately. Maybe we did become lazy and entitled.


Pens have blocked 36 shots in 3 games, tied for 9th in the playoffs. Breakdown


Caps blocked 49 shats in 2 games, very unCap like.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,422
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby npv708 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 pm

The Caps strategy isn't that different from the MT Pens strategy of 2008. They give up a ton and I mean a ton of shots, but they're mostly poor angle and outside shots, so they rely on Holtby to make a lot of relatively easy saves. The thing that makes them good at it is that they have a very skilled and talented lineup with a lot of speed, especially on defense.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,658
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby MarioLives on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:26 pm

So will they win the series? Will they make it out of east? Seem to be playing well and within their system
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:56 am

No. Holtby will collapse at some point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,560
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:No. Holtby will collapse at some point.


This. That team is relying solely on Holtby. I honestly think losing game 3 dooms them.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,704
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby bhaw on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:52 pm

not sure if it was posted somewhere else, but did anyone read the article on Hunter blaming the Bruins for going after Backstrom's head? My favorite line, out of Dale Hunter's mouth was...

''It is crossing the line,'' Hunter said. ''To grab his head all the time is not the right way to play.''


I love the irony coming out of Hunter's mouth given the way he played the game and intentionally took a player out of the playoffs. I know it was long ago, but there is some humor there.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,996
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 am

bhaw wrote:not sure if it was posted somewhere else, but did anyone read the article on Hunter blaming the Bruins for going after Backstrom's head? My favorite line, out of Dale Hunter's mouth was...

''It is crossing the line,'' Hunter said. ''To grab his head all the time is not the right way to play.''


I love the irony coming out of Hunter's mouth given the way he played the game and intentionally took a player out of the playoffs. I know it was long ago, but there is some humor there.

Yeah, it wasn't missed by some national media types. John Buccigross posted Pierre Turgeon's response as a Youtube video of a baby laughing hysterically.

For those not in the know:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,031
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby Godric on Sat May 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Oops
Last edited by Godric on Sat May 12, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby canaan on Sat May 12, 2012 7:07 pm

For tonight, I am a rags fan
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,629
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Caps learned to play defense

Postby duke66 on Sat May 12, 2012 10:03 pm

yes they did learn, and u could argue this is the best caps team of the AO era (at least for playoff style), and yet still no further than the 2nd round.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,408
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: The Promised Land - @dukewall66

Next

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

e-mail