Flyers will be scary for years to come

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:44 am

I've heard that "pens are going to be scary for years to come" in the past, look at where we are now.

Not saying we have a sucky team, but teams are never as good as the seem when they are winning and are never as bad as they are when they are loosing.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,898
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Page 554 of the new CBA

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby GenoSidStaalsy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:50 am

While the Flyers are playing well, they are up 3-0 because the Penguins have all lost their heads, not due to anything the Flyers are and aren't doing. If the Pens were playing the way they've played most of the season, the Pens would not be getting destroyed like this, and might even be up in the series.
GenoSidStaalsy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:53 am

It didn't occur to me till today but the Flyers haven't been that good. They have had the same problems the Pens have had this series, but their goalie has just been bad as opposed to abysmal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,212
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:57 am

Like I said before.

The Flyers are not winning this series.

The pens are loosing it.

That's what frustrates me so much, it's one thing to be outplayed at your own game, but right now I have no clue what their game is. I am not calling for any heads.. I just think that win streak kinda ruined this team on some level.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,898
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Page 554 of the new CBA

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Sort of off-topic the way the discussion has gone, but still related to the OP: Morrow is maybe a year away.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,520
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:18 pm

shmenguin wrote:eh. jagr will be gone, talbot will stop caring, guys will become too expensive to keep, their goaltending is still hilarious, their defense isn't very good and they still have the ability to look like crap against other teams.

they're a very good team, but not a juggernaut

oh... and laviolette will run his course. you can't coach 1 team like that for 2 long before guys turn on you


Good points all. A lot of Pens' fans are now wishing we had a passionate coach like Laviolette or Torts rather than the cerebral Dan Bylsma, but players just tune those guys out after a few years.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,312
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Tico Rick wrote:but players just tune those guys out after a few years.


the same can be said for bylsma
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,753
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby JS© on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:34 pm

We should judge the Flyers' future by a 3 game sample. 9 players playing with a point per game average? THAT'S JUST CRAZY! Rookies are scoring hat tricks, Talbot looks like he's on a pace to score 12 SHGs this postseason (look out 66!).

Because these insane scoring rates will never let up, right? I'm almost sure that the Flyers will continue to put up 7-8 goals per game like they were the reincarnation of the 1983 Oilers. I'm sure Jagr will continue to produce 54 pts as he progresses into his 40s. Will the Flyers even have enough room to re-sign a Jakub Voracek, considering they have other RFAs to sign and a few empty spots on D to fill?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,549
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:40 pm

I wouldn't base this on that 3 game sample but also on the regular series games towards the end of the season when everyone was playing their system better. Personally, I disagree with people saying that the Pens are losing this series and that the Flyer's personnel is somehow not that good. When I watch these games, i see a well oiled machine beating a bunch of individuals. Sounds familiar right? Anyone remember the Red Wings? Give me a good team over a bunch of over-hyped individuals any day.

The Pens are getting beat. owned. hammered. butchered. outplayed. outhustled. outworked. you get the point. the better team is definitely winning this series.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby blurryhaze312 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:Paul Martin? :lol:

I kid. :pop:


You're getting squat for Paul Martin right about now lolol


Well, he makes more than Staal. Does that count? :lol:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,106
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Pathetic, Fake Fan by Simple Definition

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:45 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:but players just tune those guys out after a few years.


the same can be said for bylsma


Few coaches can successfully find the right balance. Babcock seems to both earn respect through cerebral coaching and express enough passion to keep the players in check. Not that I think Dan should be ousted but his message seems to have been lost somewhere...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Ash UK

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Flyers have 3 mil in cap space going into next season and they will need to find a replacement for Jagr, resign Voracek who is a RFA, and replace both Carle and Kubina who are UFA's.

I don't see them being scary for years to come.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,277
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Is it?

DB's system no longer works in 2012?
They don't have the personnel to execute it?
The players have stopped buying in?

If it's 1 and/or 3, it's time for him to go.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,292
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 pm

columbia wrote:Is it?

DB's system no longer works in 2012?
They don't have the personnel to execute it?
The players have stopped buying in?

If it's 1 and/or 3, it's time for him to go.


As much as I hate to see the the Jack Adams coach getting fired. There are a few things that I could see as the reasoning for him to get fired.

1) The power play. It's not Yeo's fault as it's still failing.

2) Players look like they've tuned him out. That's biggest cause for alarm/concern.

3) I remember reading way back when that Shero wanted "his" guy but went with Bylsma because his system was different than MT's. Now they're back to needing a guy that can preach responsibility with the puck and team defense again.

If Shero isn't happy with the way the team is playing and can't immediately fix the defense, the coach is the first to go.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,189
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Antonio on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 pm

The Flyers will not get out of the second round. Strange as it sounds, they are not that good. Going down 3-0, 2-0, 3-1, 1-0, and allowing 12 goals in 3 playoffs games is only bested by allowing 20 goals in 3 games. They are built against our weaknesses. We actually most likely would have beaten the other 3 bottom seeds if we had played them (shows how important winning ONE more regular season game would have been).
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Antonio on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:I've heard that "pens are going to be scary for years to come" in the past, look at where we are now.

Not saying we have a sucky team, but teams are never as good as the seem when they are winning and are never as bad as they are when they are loosing.


Oh don't kid yourself. The Pens have most definitely been scary this series.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:1) The power play. It's not Yeo's fault as it's still failing.


until this series, i'd say the power play was a big success this year
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,753
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:06 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:1) The power play. It's not Yeo's fault as it's still failing.


until this series, i'd say the power play was a big success this year


Without Crosby yes. That's just not going to happen and unless they get two power plays, it's going to continue to be broke.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,189
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Rossi brought up an interesting point today on the X morning show. He said the reason that Bylsma's system hasn't been very effective this playoffs was because obstruction is back and appears to be here to stay. With the amount of obstruction thats going on the Pens forwards have no shot at winning the battles in the corners when they dump it in.

I know that's not the reason they are down 3-0, but it makes sense to as to why the Pens haven't had nearly the offensive zone time they've had in the past.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,277
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Staggy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:It didn't occur to me till today but the Flyers haven't been that good. They have had the same problems the Pens have had this series, but their goalie has just been bad as opposed to abysmal.


Yeah, if they weren't facing a team that's playing with their collective heads up their asses, they'd be losing the series.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:07 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Rossi brought up an interesting point today on the X morning show. He said the reason that Bylsma's system hasn't been very effective this playoffs was because obstruction is back and appears to be here to stay. With the amount of obstruction thats going on the Pens forwards have no shot at winning the battles in the corners when they dump it in.

I know that's not the reason they are down 3-0, but it makes sense to as to why the Pens haven't had nearly the offensive zone time they've had in the past.


Then good God learn to freaking play a modified system where obstruction is going to be involved. It's no surprise that every year around play-off time teams start playing tighter defense and the refs start getting more lenient.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,189
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Avyran on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:07 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:1) The power play. It's not Yeo's fault as it's still failing.


until this series, i'd say the power play was a big success this year

:thumb: This series has been very different from most of the season (though I guess you could see it starting at the end of the year).
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,396
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:45 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:08 pm

The fact that two of the best players on the planet can't play together on the same power play is abysmal, and taking one off the power play is all but an admission that you can't figure out how to make it work.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,189
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Rossi brought up an interesting point today on the X morning show. He said the reason that Bylsma's system hasn't been very effective this playoffs was because obstruction is back and appears to be here to stay. With the amount of obstruction thats going on the Pens forwards have no shot at winning the battles in the corners when they dump it in.

I know that's not the reason they are down 3-0, but it makes sense to as to why the Pens haven't had nearly the offensive zone time they've had in the past.


Then good God learn to freaking play a modified system where obstruction is going to be involved. It's no surprise that every year around play-off time teams start playing tighter defense and the refs start getting more lenient.


I agree. The problem is the Pens have two guys getting into forecheck late and that leaves the long stretch pass there for the taking. The fact that the coaching staff hasn't changed their philosophy is whats mindboggling.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,277
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:09 pm

ironically, increased obstruction has caused our defensemen and forwards to roam around wherever the hell they want. interesting theory.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,753
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


e-mail