Hats off to Bettman

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hats off to Bettman

Postby nape on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:43 pm

He takes a lot of heat, but the decision to move away from ESPN was brilliant. A game on NBC during the afternoon, 3 games currently on and one later. Every game being played today is televised. This is better than ESPN could ever do.

For this, Gary Bettman, I applaud you.
nape
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Hats off to Bettman

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Agree, but I'd argue it took too long to get here. Without Comcast's purchase of NBC, we still wouldn't be here.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penmyst on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:38 am

I always felt it was the best move.

ESPN was never going to give the NHL anything more than cursory exposure. Most of the games were relegated to the Deuce and the Ocho networks anyways. ;)

And if the NHL had been around when ESPN got the NBA... it would have been even worse.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:53 am

Just in time for the CBA to expire this summer...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:Agree, but I'd argue it took too long to get here. Without Comcast's purchase of NBC, we still wouldn't be here.

Is that to say that Bettman and the NHL didn't have anything to do with the deal? Comcast was the NHL partner before NBC, and I would argue that all of the significant programming shifts have been made to accomodate the NHL, not the other way around.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:23 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:Agree, but I'd argue it took too long to get here. Without Comcast's purchase of NBC, we still wouldn't be here.

YES BUT IF IT WASN'T FOR COMCAST'S PURCHASE OF NBC WE WOULD BE PLAYING HOCKEY AND THE CRYERS WOULD BE GOLFING
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby orpchar on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Pro: Gary Bettman got the NHL on NBC Networks, where they are getting more exposure than they ever would on ESPN.

Con: Nickelback playing at the awards ceremony!? Really?!?!
orpchar
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 pm

orpchar wrote:Pro: Gary Bettman got the NHL on NBC Networks, where they are getting more exposure than they ever would on ESPN.

Con: Nickelback playing at the awards ceremony!? Really?!?!

I'd love to see the people in attendance boo them. That'd be hilarious.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stick_licker on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm torn on this. I agree that we get to see more games on NBC and Co. then we would on ESPN, but Millbury, pierre mcguire and roenick are a hefty price to pay. I don't understand who thinks that these clowns are worthy of NBC's "A team" (i.e. the sunday afternoon games that are nationally televised). I suspect that ESPN would have better analysts (I actually think Melrose is pretty decent).

I just can't fathom why NBC trots out the same horrible analysts / between the bench clown every game. Is there nothing we can do as fans to fix this?

I preferred when Versus was its own entity and not NBC channel #2353. They played a ton of games, were a niche channel for the "oddball sports" and had decent analysts if I recall correctly.
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Orlando Penguin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Stick_licker wrote:I'm torn on this. I agree that we get to see more games on NBC and Co. then we would on ESPN, but Millbury, pierre mcguire and roenick are a hefty price to pay. I don't understand who thinks that these clowns are worthy of NBC's "A team" (i.e. the sunday afternoon games that are nationally televised). I suspect that ESPN would have better analysts (I actually think Melrose is pretty decent).

I just can't fathom why NBC trots out the same horrible analysts / between the bench clown every game. Is there nothing we can do as fans to fix this?

I preferred when Versus was its own entity and not NBC channel #2353. They played a ton of games, were a niche channel for the "oddball sports" and had decent analysts if I recall correctly.

Um, how about taking what the analysts say with less than a grain of salt? You're a smart hockey fan, I assume, and can make decisions about the game you are watching. Why do you need former players and coaches to tell you what you're seeing and give their own opinions on it? The only guy I need to hear from is the play-by-play guy because the action moves so quickly. NBC has some of the best in the business in that department.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 am

Kudos for getting them on NBC, but i don't think it was his choice to leave ESPN. lulz.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:23 pm

First of all..ALL THE GAMES WERE ON TV??? Sorry, I was watching a repeat of a live poker match.

OK really, yeah it is awesome to have all of these games. Not a fan of the "analysts" and I most of the time as SOON as the period clock hits 0 I change the channel or go do something else. Some are worse than others, but I am sure this is not what they want...I did watch a segment with Roenick the other day and it seems he says one thing poorly followed by repeating himself and faking some emotion...it was something along the lines of "Come on, I don't want to see that...I want to see (whatever it was)...silence...yeah...come on...get in there and show that...*follow up question by other guy*...yeah,...dont want to see that...come on,,,*commercial*

I got a good chuckle out of it...so it was kind of entertaining I guess.

They do have a couple good guys...they just get drowned out by the not so good guys. Hopefully they get better in the future. I prefer the "B" team I think...or did in the past at least.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:14 am

For the money NBC paid the owers have to love it.

And a small thanks to NBC for lifting its rule on showing games on a outdoor TV, wish we could of enjoyed it longer.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:24 am

On the way home on Thursday's, I listen to "NHL Hour With Commissioner Gary Bettman" on Siriuss/XM.

He interviews people, takes calls from fans - seriously, what other commissioner does that - or has ever done that? I think it's pretty cool.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to NPR