Giroux Discipline Hearing

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Giroux Discipline Hearing

Postby marek on Mon May 07, 2012 1:43 pm

If Giroux isn't suspended for his cheap shot on Zubrus then that's all the proof you need that NBC/Comcast has been and will continue to call the shots at the NHL Discipline Central Office.

It was a clear intent to injure Zubrus out of anger and frustration... a hit to the head using his shoulder and raising his arm into and through an opponents head.

If Cooke did that he'd be looking at 10+
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Giroux Discipline Hearing

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 07, 2012 1:49 pm

If Giroux isn't suspended for his cheap shot on Zubrus then that's all the proof you need that the NHL favors its star players when dealing with supplemental discipline. The Comcast conspiracy theories are embarrassing.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 07, 2012 1:52 pm

shmenguin wrote:If Giroux isn't suspended for his cheap shot on Zubrus then that's all the proof you need that the NHL favors its star players when dealing with supplemental discipline. The Comcast conspiracy theories are embarrassing.

Agree with this.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 07, 2012 1:55 pm

shmenguin wrote:If Giroux isn't suspended for his cheap shot on Zubrus then that's all the proof you need that the NHL favors its star players when dealing with supplemental discipline. The Comcast conspiracy theories are embarrassing.

Yep.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 07, 2012 1:58 pm

though to be more accurate, shea weber already proved that the league is too scared to treat everyone equally. this would just be reinforcement.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:17 pm

This is absolutely the test of the system; its a clear late purposeful headshot by the league's leader in playoff points leading into his teams elimination game. If they do not suspend him, its clear that guys can take these shots without any penalty.

I was also on the verge of changing my mind about the stupidity of the Flyers in terms of taking terrible penalties when they are down. This is without a doubt the dumbest penalty any Flyer has ever taken, hands down. Giroux has either eliminated his opportunity to wear the 'C' if they Flyers want to prove that this behavior is unacceptable, or basically guaranteed it if they want to prove that not much has changed besides the roster.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm

TRUST ME....THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE AT PLAY HERE.

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby marek on Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm

um... Giroux's cheap shot was 10x worse than Neal's hit on him and he got a game.
Neal is a "star" player. He was suspended. And he was because the talking heads on NBC said he should have been.

Those same announcers were awfully quiet yesterday. Not one of them even accepted or called it as a dirty hit.

Conspiracy theories are embarrassing??? There is a clear cut bias in the broadcasting and you're simply naive if you think that it doesn't trickle down to ice level. If McGuire calls a dirty hit a "hockey play" then the NHL & Shanahan don't need to police anything... the broadcasters have done that for them because viewers believe what they are told.

Every suspension that has occurred this post season has had a direct correlation with the length and depth of criticism by the studio talking heads. There was absolutely none yesterday about Giroux. Therefore he will not be suspended.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Seriously Marek? Did you happen to see the TSN coverage (which is followed by a LOT of hockey fans)? They absolutely ripped Giroux apart. Eviscerated him. Get real.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 pm

keith jones is an ex-flyer and a flyers fan. he went easy on giroux. pierre is a front runner who falls in love with whoever has the most heat. he went easy on giroux.

none of that has anything to do with a covert league mandate being handed down through its media outlets.
Last edited by shmenguin on Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Seriously Marek? Did you happen to see the TSN coverage (which is followed by a LOT of hockey fans)? They absolutely ripped Giroux apart. Eviscerated him. Get real.

Dude, that's Canada. Might as well be another country.

If Pierre or NBC had pull, Giroux wouldn't even have a hearing.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Mon May 07, 2012 2:37 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Seriously Marek? Did you happen to see the TSN coverage (which is followed by a LOT of hockey fans)? They absolutely ripped Giroux apart. Eviscerated him. Get real.

Then doesn't that coverage by TSN make the Xfinity, err NBC coverage of the play even more peculiar? Keith Jones' first response, after ignoring it through intermission, was that he shouldn't be suspended.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:40 pm

steelhammer wrote:

Then doesn't that coverage by TSN make the Xfinity, err NBC coverage of the play even more peculiar? Keith Jones' first response, after ignoring it through intermission, was that he shouldn't be suspended.

Keith Jones is a known, documented Philly homer. He is an analyst on CSN Philly. This is surprising to you?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Mon May 07, 2012 2:52 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
steelhammer wrote:

Keith Jones is a known, documented Philly homer. He is an analyst on CSN Philly. This is surprising to you?

My only point is that you have 2 different networks with 2 completely different takes on the hit. The Comcast coverage extended beyond Jones with Pierre doing his best attempt to massage the masses.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 07, 2012 3:05 pm

steelhammer wrote:

It's simple. They don't know what they're talking about.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Reporting one game suspension for Giroux....CONSPIRACY
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 07, 2012 3:08 pm

NHLFlyers
BREAKING NEWS: Claude Giroux was given a 1 game suspension by the NHL for a hit on Dainius Zubrus during the 2nd period of last night’s game

CONSPIRACY
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Mon May 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Lulz!!!!!!
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelhammer on Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 pm

The fact that it is only a 1-game suspension only confirms the conspiratorial nature of the NHL and Comcast. They can use the file footage for the definition of head shots they are supposedly trying to remove from the game.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 07, 2012 3:19 pm

1 game is fair IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Wow, the NHL got this one right!
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Therien's twitter re: the suspension comes off as a complete baby. im loving it.

Chris Therien ‏ @ctherien6
I totally agree. RT @Philly_Sak: @ctherien6 How many hits did we see Malkin make last series that were as bad or worse? Quite a few.

1m Chris Therien ‏ @ctherien6
To be honest with you all guys and gals, this is completely stunning and I can truly feel your frustration. Totally warranted.

3m Chris Therien ‏ @ctherien6
I don't understand how Weber gets a little cash fine and no game yet Claude gets a game. Its really not right....again!

6m Chris Therien ‏ @ctherien6
Extremely surprised by this call from the league as was Jonesy about the Giroux hit. What comparable did the league have?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 pm

First time offender, playoffs, one game is fair I think.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Comparables-stop comparing hits, it's pointless.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NPR