Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby brwi on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Instead of the original 25. Really? Every time I think Gary Bettman has a clue he does something completely asinine like this. What the hell difference is 25 vs. 21 games and is it any way enough to override your league disciplinarian over 4 games? Just stupid, IMO.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:34 pm

- Unexpected amount of playoff games for Phoenix probably helped prompt this. Conventional "wisdom" says that 1 playoff game = 2 regular season games for suspensions.

- CBA negotiations coming up. Nothing says "look, the system works...it's fair" better than reducing a big suspension on the eve of discussions...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,917
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:10 am

i thought the suspension was a little lengthy, given the comps, but the outrage over the lowering is a bit over the top.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,957
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:11 am

I agree with lowering it. I also agree with the outrage, as its entertaining even if its not running as rampant as I had hoped.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,244
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:48 am

Based on severity I guess I get it, but i'm not sure how you can agree with lowering his suspension. Repeat offender, pretty clear hit to the head, and a near complete reversal of the NHL's position at the time of the suspension:

Should the 25 games not be served by the conclusion of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the remaining games of the suspension will carry over into the following regular season. Torres will be prohibited from playing in any preseason games until he has served this 25-game suspension (playoff and regular-season games).
Should the suspension carry over to next season, because he is classified as a repeat offender under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Torres will forfeit $21,341.46 in salary for every regular-season game in which he is ineligible to play.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,255
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 am

I agree with lowering it because it was excessive. It couldn't possibly be more simple.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,244
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 am

I think it was a political move by Bettman.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,917
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby bhaw on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:39 pm

mikey287 wrote:I think it was a political move by Bettman.


this.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I agree with lowering it because it was excessive. It couldn't possibly be more simple.


Simple? The NHL rallies against hits to the head for 2 years, overreacts to a vicious hit to a star player by a repeat offender in the playoffs, makes a clear example of him publicly and directly, then Bettman overrules the disciplinary committee admitting they overreacted and the penalty was excessive, reduces it by what is essentially an arbitrary number of games, thereby opening the door to appeal any long-term suspension here forward as a similar overreaction, and your position is that it couldn't be more simple?

Its a political move by Bettman. It has little to do with excess.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,255
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I agree with lowering it because it was excessive. It couldn't possibly be more simple.


Simple? The NHL rallies against hits to the head for 2 years, overreacts to a vicious hit to a star player by a repeat offender in the playoffs, makes a clear example of him publicly and directly, then Bettman overrules the disciplinary committee admitting they overreacted and the penalty was excessive, reduces it by what is essentially an arbitrary number of games, thereby opening the door to appeal any long-term suspension here forward as a similar overreaction, and your position is that it couldn't be more simple?

Its a political move by Bettman. It has little to do with excess.


No, my position couldn't be more simple. And it has everything to do with excess. It was longer than most other suspensions handed out and was handed out during the playoffs. The original suspension was political and an overreaction. The adjustment was reasonable.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,244
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Fast B on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I agree with lowering it because it was excessive. It couldn't possibly be more simple.


Simple? The NHL rallies against hits to the head for 2 years, overreacts to a vicious hit to a star player by a repeat offender in the playoffs, makes a clear example of him publicly and directly, then Bettman overrules the disciplinary committee admitting they overreacted and the penalty was excessive, reduces it by what is essentially an arbitrary number of games, thereby opening the door to appeal any long-term suspension here forward as a similar overreaction, and your position is that it couldn't be more simple?

Its a political move by Bettman. It has little to do with excess.


No, my position couldn't be more simple. And it has everything to do with excess. It was longer than most other suspensions handed out and was handed out during the playoffs. The original suspension was political and an overreaction. The adjustment was reasonable.


I'd say Torres earned every game of that excessive suspension with his body of work over the years. The guy is a scumbag; it's amazing that Cooke gets all the bad press and Torres continues to play just as dirty a game as he ever did.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,858
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Rocco on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Torres was given that many games to guarantee he wouldn't play again in the post-season.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,058
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:09 pm

So I am guessing Asham misses the first game of the Rangers season?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,656
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Considering there was no remorse from Torres or the Yotes on the hit it should have been increased.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,014
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I agree with lowering it because it was excessive. It couldn't possibly be more simple.


Simple? The NHL rallies against hits to the head for 2 years, overreacts to a vicious hit to a star player by a repeat offender in the playoffs, makes a clear example of him publicly and directly, then Bettman overrules the disciplinary committee admitting they overreacted and the penalty was excessive, reduces it by what is essentially an arbitrary number of games, thereby opening the door to appeal any long-term suspension here forward as a similar overreaction, and your position is that it couldn't be more simple?

Its a political move by Bettman. It has little to do with excess.


No, my position couldn't be more simple. And it has everything to do with excess. It was longer than most other suspensions handed out and was handed out during the playoffs. The original suspension was political and an overreaction. The adjustment was reasonable.


The adjustment was an equal, opposite political overreaction. This is why no one trusts the NHL, including the PA, to do the right thing...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,255
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby Rocco on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:54 pm

DelPen wrote:Considering there was no remorse from Torres or the Yotes on the hit it should have been increased.


Of course there was no remorse- it helped Phoenix win the series. He could have pretended to be upset and no one would have believed him.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,058
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:40 am

Can bettman reduce the length of hossas concussion too
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,786
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam


Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


e-mail