I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:Why don't we just trade Jordan Staal for Rick Nash. I mean its pretty obvious that Staal wants out after not signing a 10 year $60 million contract with us. So package Staal who can be the face of a franchise for Nash and give Sid the winger he needs...


Staal would not resign with Columbus....

so you think they would trade Nash to get a 1 year rental of Staal before he gets the hell out of there??
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:man there are some bad posts in there.....

can we make a post and pin it to the top saying Paul Martin and/or Tyler Kennedy are not hot/valuable assets that will be key players in landing a guy like Nash, Ryan, or Yandle


It won't be read or will be ignored.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,096
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Pens15 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah, our utter lack of NHL ready forward prospects make this hard to see happening.

Then again, if we had any of those, we'd probably just as soon be keeping them anyway.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,103
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:03 pm

I think this has been mentioned before, but a three-way trade may be in order here.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,153
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Pens15 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Columbus doesn't have to lower their asking price. Nash is signed for 6 more friggin years, there's no rush. Other teams will get desperate, so they should just wait it out.

And enough with this crap about having a guy on your team that doesn't want to be there. They are open to trading him, so he needs to act like a professional and be patient. He will get his when someone wants him bad enough to pay the asking price.

And the other thing - teams will get into a bidding war.

So case in point - Pens don't have what it takes to get him and won't later because the asking price may never be lowered.


With that being the case, I could see him not moving. Columbus will have to realize that they are not going to get an Eric Lindros type haul for Rick Nash. Just don't think it's going to happen. So either they lower the price, or they will end up keeping him.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,103
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:06 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:Why don't we just trade Jordan Staal for Rick Nash. I mean its pretty obvious that Staal wants out after not signing a 10 year $60 million contract with us. So package Staal who can be the face of a franchise for Nash and give Sid the winger he needs...


Staal would not resign with Columbus....

so you think they would trade Nash to get a 1 year rental of Staal before he gets the hell out of there??



Thats true, I guess we should just keep Staal...
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:04 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Tico Rick wrote:I think this has been mentioned before, but a three-way trade may be in order here.


that would get super complicated.... I'm not quite sure how it would work too

I doubt a team like NY, Philly, Det, SJ, etc would get in a 3 way deal to help the Penguins get Nash...

they would basically be trading some of their forward prospects to Columbus and getting some of the Penguins DMen prospects in return..... I dont see that happening

its really hard to piece together a 3 team deal involving the Penguins getting Nash.... I just dont think too many teams in the East will want to help the Penguins land Nash
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Krom on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Sign Weber to an offer sheet the Preds might not match, then trade Letang to Jackets for Nash.

Of course, you'd burn all your bridges with Nashville. Who could, in turn, do the same with Malkin down the line.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:14 pm

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:
RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:Why don't we just trade Jordan Staal for Rick Nash. I mean its pretty obvious that Staal wants out after not signing a 10 year $60 million contract with us. So package Staal who can be the face of a franchise for Nash and give Sid the winger he needs...


Staal would not resign with Columbus....

so you think they would trade Nash to get a 1 year rental of Staal before he gets the hell out of there??



Thats true, I guess we should just keep Staal...


I thought the Staal deal was really good actually

I'd rather have Sutter/Pouliot/Dumoulin than Staal for 1 more season before he bolted for Carolina
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Krom wrote:Sign Weber to an offer sheet the Preds might not match, then trade Letang to Jackets for Nash.

Of course, you'd burn all your bridges with Nashville. Who could, in turn, do the same with Malkin down the line.


wow

I'm speechless after this one :face:
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Krom on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:17 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
Krom wrote:Sign Weber to an offer sheet the Preds might not match, then trade Letang to Jackets for Nash.

Of course, you'd burn all your bridges with Nashville. Who could, in turn, do the same with Malkin down the line.


wow

I'm speechless after this one :face:



Why be speechless? This is a message board.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Krom wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:
Krom wrote:Sign Weber to an offer sheet the Preds might not match, then trade Letang to Jackets for Nash.

Of course, you'd burn all your bridges with Nashville. Who could, in turn, do the same with Malkin down the line.


wow

I'm speechless after this one :face:



Why be speechless? This is a message board.


Nashville can never sign Malkin to an offer sheet.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,666
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Krom on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Krom wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:
Krom wrote:Sign Weber to an offer sheet the Preds might not match, then trade Letang to Jackets for Nash.

Of course, you'd burn all your bridges with Nashville. Who could, in turn, do the same with Malkin down the line.


wow

I'm speechless after this one :face:



Why be speechless? This is a message board.


Nashville can never sign Malkin to an offer sheet.


In keeping with the majority of posts on this thread, I was speaking in the hypothetical. Sarcasm can get lost in translation.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Froggy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:41 pm

It's not even hypothetical. Malkin can't be signed to an offer sheet because at his next deal, he won't be a RFA
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,572
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Froggy wrote:It's not even hypothetical. Malkin can't be signed to an offer sheet because at his next deal, he won't be a RFA


not to mention the Penguins would pretty much have to offer Weber a 10+ year and like $14 million per season for Nashville not to match.....

so the Penguins would give up 4 1st round picks and crush their salary cap.... just so they could trade Letang to get Weber and Nash

thats some brilliant management!!!!!
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Krom on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:54 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
Froggy wrote:It's not even hypothetical. Malkin can't be signed to an offer sheet because at his next deal, he won't be a RFA


not to mention the Penguins would pretty much have to offer Weber a 10+ year and like $14 million per season for Nashville not to match.....

so the Penguins would give up 4 1st round picks and crush their salary cap.... just so they could trade Letang to get Weber and Nash

thats some brilliant management!!!!!



Now you're getting it.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:20 pm

penny lane wrote:since Sid made a commitment to the pens, it is beyond time to make one back to him.
He needs a quality, not ancient & not on a tryout-out contract wing.



That's easy and the solution helps solve 2 problems.


Give Crosby; Neal and Kunitz. Give Malkin; Kennedy and Martin. Crosby gets his wingers, Malkin has a terrible year and takes a pay cut. That will leave us with the cap space to sign Parise and Suter next year.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,712
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:47 pm

penny lane wrote:since Sid made a commitment to the pens, it is beyond time to make one back to him.
He needs a quality, not ancient & not on a tryout-out contract wing.


I agree with you, but again, at what price

do you potentially gut your farm system to bring in a guy like Nash or Ryan? I dont know.... I guess it depends on what the price is and I'm sure they've made some calls to see the asking price...

do you take a gamble and sign Semin to a multi-year deal (because I doubt he has signs a 1 or 2 year deal)

at worst, the Penguins go into next season with pretty good cap space to still potentially bring in a good player via trade and can have Crosby with Kunitz/Dupuis (which he's had alot of success with) and Malkin with Neal

thats still a damn good top 2 lines/top 4 forwards with 3 legit all stars

but I agree, ideally, the Penguins should get Crosby a winger who can score 30+ goals a year next to him to repay him for taking much less salary that he could have taken
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Kennedy. Vitale. Jeffrey. Our only homegrown forwards on the NHL roster outside of Sid and Evgeni. This is a problem.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,199
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Image
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,560
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:03 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Kennedy. Vitale. Jeffrey. Our only homegrown forwards on the NHL roster outside of Sid and Evgeni. This is a problem.


not really because 3 homegrown guys in Goligoski, Staal, and Whitney brought in Kunitz, Neal, and Sutter

who cares how you get them.... whats it matter if you trade a homegrown DMan for a forward.... its not like they can only sign free agents on huge deals to get good players on the Pens

and its funny that you have to say "outside of Crosby and Malkin"...... arguably the 2 best players in the NHL..... why not include them?
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:06 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Kennedy. Vitale. Jeffrey. Our only homegrown forwards on the NHL roster outside of Sid and Evgeni. This is a problem.


not really because 3 homegrown guys in Goligoski, Staal, and Whitney brought in Kunitz, Neal, and Sutter

who cares how you get them.... whats it matter if you trade a homegrown DMan for a forward.... its not like they can only sign free agents on huge deals to get good players on the Pens

and its funny that you have to say "outside of Crosby and Malkin"...... arguably the 2 best players in the NHL..... why not include them?


They were "gimme" picks...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,096
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Because the Penguins got extremely lucky and had no choice but to pick them? You're right, it doesn't matter where you get them, but our D prospects will fetch significantly less than Goligoski right now. The problem with waiting for a trade to get a forward is that the price and 'value' fluctuates depending on exogeneous factors (outside the Pens control) such as the cap room, who won the Cup with what type of players, and other teams' needs. Right now, the price is extremely high for any of these forwards (so it has been said) and the Penguins literally do not have the pieces to put together a solid trade for one. It will probably be years before you can expect one of our D prospects to bring in a similar return to the Gogo trade outside of possibly Despres.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,199
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:31 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Because the Penguins got extremely lucky and had no choice but to pick them? You're right, it doesn't matter where you get them, but our D prospects will fetch significantly less than Goligoski right now. The problem with waiting for a trade to get a forward is that the price and 'value' fluctuates depending on exogeneous factors (outside the Pens control) such as the cap room, who won the Cup with what type of players, and other teams' needs. Right now, the price is extremely high for any of these forwards (so it has been said) and the Penguins literally do not have the pieces to put together a solid trade for one. It will probably be years before you can expect one of our D prospects to bring in a similar return to the Gogo trade outside of possibly Despres.


the thing is, the Penguins dont NEED to make any trades right now to improve their top 2 lines.... they have 3 all star caliber players in Crosby, Malkin, and Neal.... Kunitz is good for 20 to 25 goals and Dupuis should be around 20

the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line is proven already.... it was great when they were together in the past and I imagine that line will be together to start the year if they make no major additions before the season..... and Neal and Malkin have each other

so while it would be great to get Crosby another winger, its not an absolute necessity right now

the Penguins arent going to be forced to trade a player they dont want to trade to get Crosby that winger, because it isnt a huge need right now..... Ray Shero is not an idiot.... I'm sure he knows what the value of his young DMen are right now and what they could fetch now or down the road in a trade.... if he makes a deal, I'm sure it will be one hes comfortable with and has evaluated from all angles
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:35 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Because the Penguins got extremely lucky and had no choice but to pick them? You're right, it doesn't matter where you get them, but our D prospects will fetch significantly less than Goligoski right now. The problem with waiting for a trade to get a forward is that the price and 'value' fluctuates depending on exogeneous factors (outside the Pens control) such as the cap room, who won the Cup with what type of players, and other teams' needs. Right now, the price is extremely high for any of these forwards (so it has been said) and the Penguins literally do not have the pieces to put together a solid trade for one. It will probably be years before you can expect one of our D prospects to bring in a similar return to the Gogo trade outside of possibly Despres.


the thing is, the Penguins dont NEED to make any trades right now to improve their top 2 lines.... they have 3 all star caliber players in Crosby, Malkin, and Neal.... Kunitz is good for 20 to 25 goals and Dupuis should be around 20

the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line is proven already.... it was great when they were together in the past and I imagine that line will be together to start the year if they make no major additions before the season..... and Neal and Malkin have each other

so while it would be great to get Crosby another winger, its not an absolute necessity right now

the Penguins arent going to be forced to trade a player they dont want to trade to get Crosby that winger, because it isnt a huge need right now..... Ray Shero is not an idiot.... I'm sure he knows what the value of his young DMen are right now and what they could fetch now or down the road in a trade.... if he makes a deal, I'm sure it will be one hes comfortable with and has evaluated from all angles


They need to get somebody to fill that last top 6 spot. Kennedy isn't it, and Tangradi please give me a break, he will be lucky to make the roster. Shero has to do something, I guess will find out before camp what his plan is.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

e-mail