Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby meow on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:45 am

Rylan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Rylan wrote:Semin has not been the reason Carolina sucks. He has been their best player all year. (Excluding Cam Ward, one of the few examples where goalie IS the most important part of the team)

semin was a good signing, but eric staal would like to have a word...

Eric Staal has quietly put better numbers up than I thought. I rephrase my statement into "Semin and E.Staal have not been the reason Carolina suck"

Is it wrong that I am a bit happy to see J. Staal struggle? Maybe not happy, but I've always felt he was over-hyped.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am

I absolutely love my penguins but Chicago would probably beat them in 6 unless Geno and Sid are going at 100% in the series.

Chicago's Defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pittsburgh's Defense
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 am

J. Staal was not worth $6 million a year.

Is he a good hockey player? Yes. He at $4 million was probably a little bit less than he is worth, but he fit his role and was an effective hockey player. He will probably turn into E.Staal lite here in the next few years.

Honestly, I was glad to see him leave and return Sutter and company. Had the Pens signed Staal I would have been less than thrilled. Not angry though, just not happy.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Rylan wrote:J. Staal was not worth $6 million a year.

Is he a good hockey player? Yes. He at $4 million was probably a little bit less than he is worth, but he fit his role and was an effective hockey player. He will probably turn into E.Staal lite here in the next few years.

Honestly, I was glad to see him leave and return Sutter and company. Had the Pens signed Staal I would have been less than thrilled. Not angry though, just not happy.

Both J. Staal and Sutter can take over games and be clutch as a 3rd line Center.

(was at this game^)

Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Godric wrote:I absolutely love my penguins but Chicago would probably beat them in 6 unless Geno and Sid are going at 100% in the series.

Chicago's Defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pittsburgh's Defense

Pittsburgh's Goaltending >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicago's goaltending
Pittsburgh's Offense>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chicago's Offense
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Godric wrote:Both J. Staal and Sutter can take over games and be clutch as a 3rd line Center.

sutter can take advantage of opportunities when presented, but he can't take over games.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:07 pm

pens#1 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
pens#1 wrote:Are the Hawks that good or is a combo of the west being a bit weaker this year?

The West is very good. The Blackhawks are that good. The other team doesn't touch the puck at all the entire game. I wish there was possession time for the NHL, the Blackhawks would beat other teams by several minutes every night...it's unreal what they do. They don't allow shots because they just own the puck, it's all speed, quick transition...tonight was a good example. They score off a draw in their own end. The Stars had like 6 shots or whatever tonight, or so it felt like that...Emery is horrible, so he gives up two weak ones which prevented another shutout.

Head's up: Here's your next "OMG, stats, this goalie is great!" ridiculousness...how many times have I heard that Emery is "back" (he was here before?) and he's a #1 and all that noise...he's horrible. He's just flat out bad. But here we go again...soon we'll realize about goalie stats, soon...

so where do the Pens stack up against the Hawks?

It's tough to say really. The weakest point of the Blackhawks is their goaltending. Especially if Emery somehow gets the start. They aren't deep down the middle...if we're healthy, the Crosby/Malkin dilemma will be problematic for them to match up against. They have to use Toews against Crosby because that's their only chance to gain possession off the faceoff. That's their best defensive center against our best player. They need to make that match up I think.

Then when Sharp gets healthy, I'd aim for a Sharp-Bolland-whoever (I guess Kane) to go against Malkin. Sharp will take the faceoffs and between him and Bolland (who has been iffy all year really, but he's a good player), they should be the match for Malkin and friends.

They're fast...and we're not. That worries me a bit. The mobility of their back line will be tough late in the playoffs for our older, slower wingers perhaps...Duncan Keith is an awesome skater, Leddy is one of the faster d-men I've seen in the league, Hjalmarsson is very mobile, Seabrook and Oduya can skate too...those guys can move and they can move the puck. And like I said, they just own the puck. The difference will be established zone time...both teams have too much skill to be on the defensive for too long...eventually, the team with the puck will score. Period. Both teams are too good skill wise.

I'd play Vitale in the series for the right-handed centerman that can take draws and his speed. He'd be a must. Kennedy would be a must too, to be honest. Johnny Oduya on that third pairing turns the puck over a lot while under pressure, TK and/or Vitale would generate a lot of possession time or at least anti-Chicago possession time if deployed on a 2-1-2 forecheck, I feel.

We'd need to win faceoffs, such a big part of the game, so it goes without saying...but that's a difference, having possession vs. trying to acquire possession vs. that team. They can play, man, they can play...it'd be tough...

We're a long way from that...St. Louis can play these guys, I'd like to see them go at it in the first round...it could be a long series there...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I don't think HCMT is enjoying this game.

Price has looked rather average lately.

Fleury for Price? :pop:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:17 pm

mikey287 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Semin has only played 9 games since the extension (Mar. 26 to present). He has 8 points in those 9 games, despite the fact Carolina has only won 2 games in that stretch.

The 8 points in 9 games is exactly his career pace to date...

Oops, I didn't check it. I thought for some reason that Semin had no points beside the two goals.

Oh well...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sniper on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:38 pm

mikey287 wrote:
pens#1 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
pens#1 wrote:Are the Hawks that good or is a combo of the west being a bit weaker this year?

The West is very good. The Blackhawks are that good. The other team doesn't touch the puck at all the entire game. I wish there was possession time for the NHL, the Blackhawks would beat other teams by several minutes every night...it's unreal what they do. They don't allow shots because they just own the puck, it's all speed, quick transition...tonight was a good example. They score off a draw in their own end. The Stars had like 6 shots or whatever tonight, or so it felt like that...Emery is horrible, so he gives up two weak ones which prevented another shutout.

Head's up: Here's your next "OMG, stats, this goalie is great!" ridiculousness...how many times have I heard that Emery is "back" (he was here before?) and he's a #1 and all that noise...he's horrible. He's just flat out bad. But here we go again...soon we'll realize about goalie stats, soon...

so where do the Pens stack up against the Hawks?

It's tough to say really. The weakest point of the Blackhawks is their goaltending. Especially if Emery somehow gets the start. They aren't deep down the middle...if we're healthy, the Crosby/Malkin dilemma will be problematic for them to match up against. They have to use Toews against Crosby because that's their only chance to gain possession off the faceoff. That's their best defensive center against our best player. They need to make that match up I think.

Then when Sharp gets healthy, I'd aim for a Sharp-Bolland-whoever (I guess Kane) to go against Malkin. Sharp will take the faceoffs and between him and Bolland (who has been iffy all year really, but he's a good player), they should be the match for Malkin and friends.

They're fast...and we're not. That worries me a bit. The mobility of their back line will be tough late in the playoffs for our older, slower wingers perhaps...Duncan Keith is an awesome skater, Leddy is one of the faster d-men I've seen in the league, Hjalmarsson is very mobile, Seabrook and Oduya can skate too...those guys can move and they can move the puck. And like I said, they just own the puck. The difference will be established zone time...both teams have too much skill to be on the defensive for too long...eventually, the team with the puck will score. Period. Both teams are too good skill wise.

I'd play Vitale in the series for the right-handed centerman that can take draws and his speed. He'd be a must. Kennedy would be a must too, to be honest. Johnny Oduya on that third pairing turns the puck over a lot while under pressure, TK and/or Vitale would generate a lot of possession time or at least anti-Chicago possession time if deployed on a 2-1-2 forecheck, I feel.

We'd need to win faceoffs, such a big part of the game, so it goes without saying...but that's a difference, having possession vs. trying to acquire possession vs. that team. They can play, man, they can play...it'd be tough...

We're a long way from that...St. Louis can play these guys, I'd like to see them go at it in the first round...it could be a long series there...

I think Anaheim, St. Louis, and LA are capable of beating them. Maybe a healthy Vancouver and possibly Minnesota can beat them. I don't think Chicago responds well against teams that hit them, particularly their D-men. Obviously any team that beats them is going to have a great goal-tending performance.

Against Pittsburgh, their speed is very worrisome. The trades made the Pens tougher, but also slower. I do think Malkin's line should be able to dominate Chicago's. They haven't shown it this season, but at their best that line is better than Chicago's by a significant margin. I also think the Pens could make their lines up in a manner that would give them an advantage on both the third and fourth line (based on who dresses). Having Malkin and Crosby allows them to move a guy like Iginla to the 3rd line by moving Morrow to the second making the 3rd line more of a threat to score, while not hurting the second too badly.

Special teams and injuries would be huge. Pens PP has been good, Chicago's PK has been good (though fading since the first half of the season). Chicago's PP has been average all year, while the Pens PK hasn't been impressive. The Pens PK has to be better than it's been the last couple post seasons. It's highly unlikely both these teams even make it to the finals let alone get there healthy. Pens have a lot of NHL caliber players who are waiting to play. Not sure Chicago can say the same.

Offense. Chicago hasn't come close to seeing a team as good offensively as Pittsburgh (could say the same about Pitt seeing Chicago, but I think the east has better offense than the west). They haven't had to worry about matchups too much. At most they've only had to truly be concerned with one line. Pittsburgh will force them to. I have a feeling their third D pairing and goalies which have looked good so far this year will be exposed when their team doesn't have the best offense on the ice or the puck nearly as much.

Would definitely be a good series and Chicago is the only team that I think could beat Pittsburgh with Pittsburgh playing their best hockey. I don't think any other team in the league could provided they are healthy. For that reason, I hope one of the other teams out west takes them out.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Tonight the Rangers can eliminate the flyers mathematically.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Whomever said that Anaheim, LA, and St. Louis could beat the Blackhawks is pretty dead on. The Hawks really big weakness is against teams that use the body. They've struggled against Anaheim because Anaheim just beats them up.

As for the Pens, as long as everyone is healthy, I think the only team that really scares me in the East is the Rangers. Lundqvist can win series by himself.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Pulling for Jets, Leafs, Canes, Panthes and yes, Flyers.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Whomever said that Anaheim, LA, and St. Louis could beat the Blackhawks is pretty dead on. The Hawks really big weakness is against teams that use the body. They've struggled against Anaheim because Anaheim just beats them up.

As for the Pens, as long as everyone is healthy, I think the only team that really scares me in the East is the Rangers. Lundqvist can win series by himself.

No he can't.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 pm

meow wrote:Is it wrong that I am a bit happy to see J. Staal struggle? Maybe not happy, but I've always felt he was over-hyped.

Nah. I kinda feel the same way. I don't hate him, but I didn't like how he left here. For that, I will probably always have some bad taste in my mouth. Regardless, I expected this as I never saw him as an offense-first player. Not to mention his defense went to hell his last season with us. He is not a playmaker and never was. He is a grinder so that's how he will have to play. Problem is he is not a very motivated player and doesn't always play his best. I dunno. Maybe he will still get better on offense because he does have some maturing to do, but the numbers he is getting this year are what I expected, except for the "-" because that is shocking.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Until the Flyers are mathematically eliminated I want them to lose. Not a good start tonight
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:14 pm

The Isles are serious about making the playoffs.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Brian Campbell is serious about earning his paycheck.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Until the Flyers are mathematically eliminated I want them to lose. Not a good start tonight

Glad they beat the Habs, hope the beat the Rangers and miss the playoffs but draft as far down as possible.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Until the Flyers are mathematically eliminated I want them to lose. Not a good start tonight

Same. Unhappy with what's going on tonight.

"Gimme an E!"

for eliminated
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:20 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:

Glad they beat the Habs, hope the beat the Rangers and miss the playoffs but draft as far down as possible.

I was going for alternating Ws and Ls, for my entertainment and my peace of mind, but I guess it doesn't matter. I'm all for their draft position to be messed up.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens#1 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Jets are wining which is good
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Sid needs to get back.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

I was going for alternating Ws and Ls, for my entertainment and my peace of mind, but I guess it doesn't matter. I'm all for their draft position to be messed up.

I hate the Rangers too so if the Flyers can help them miss the playoffs so much the better.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens2005 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Kaizer wrote:Tonight the Rangers can eliminate the flyers mathematically.

Not sure I get this. If the rangers win they have 48 points...the flyers could still win out and have 49, no?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NPR