Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby profpolisci on Sat May 18, 2013 1:37 pm

offsides wrote:Real nice assist by Zetterberg on that goal. Detroit trying to make a series out of this.

They're bringing five cylinder's, six cylinder's and eight cylinder's.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens2005 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:50 pm

profpolisci wrote:
offsides wrote:Real nice assist by Zetterberg on that goal. Detroit trying to make a series out of this.

Lol, Pierre sucks so much.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby profpolisci on Sat May 18, 2013 1:51 pm

The alternative is Bob Cole. I can't handle that.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Red Wings going big with the much-hated stretch pass.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sat May 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Wings up 3-1 about 12 to go in the 3rd.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat May 18, 2013 2:18 pm

pens2005 wrote:
profpolisci wrote:

Lol, Pierre sucks so much.

Yes he does, and in more ways than one. :pop:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sat May 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Looks like game, set and match to me. Can't see Chicago pulling an LA or a Boston.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sat May 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Haha good good
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Sat May 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Make a series of of this? Trying? They're about to beat the 'oh-so-hyped' Blackhawks in Chicago and go back to Detroit with home-ice advantage in the series. I don't even like Detroit (though I like them much better than I like Chicago), but I can't believe how little respect they've gotten. Just about everything written about Detroit in the last series was negative, yet they still handled Anaheim. They haven't been given a ghost of a chance against Chicago, yet they dismantle them on the road to even the series at 1-1. That's a big step for the lower seed every time, as a split is pretty much the goal going into the first two games of a series in that situation. I don't know if they can keep it up and finish Chicago, but one thing they have proven in the playoffs so far is that they're not going away easily and they don't give up. I think they deserve some credit for what they've done against much higher rated talent, especially with their present post-Lidstrom defense.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 18, 2013 2:31 pm

offsides wrote:Looks like game, set and match to me. Can't see Chicago pulling an LA or a Boston.

Game anyway. 1-1 in the series now.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Sigwolf wrote:

Make a series of of this? Trying? They're about to beat the 'oh-so-hyped' Blackhawks in Chicago and go back to Detroit with home-ice advantage in the series.

Last round you easily could have substituted Pens for 'Hawks and Isles for 'Wings.

Still, with the benefit of hindsight, the Isles *were* trying to make a series of it.

So I don't think that wording is so far fetched.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sigwolf on Sat May 18, 2013 2:40 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:

Make a series of of this? Trying? They're about to beat the 'oh-so-hyped' Blackhawks in Chicago and go back to Detroit with home-ice advantage in the series.

Last round you easily could have substituted Pens for 'Hawks and Isles for 'Wings.

Still, with the benefit of hindsight, the Isles *were* trying to make a series of it.

So I don't think that wording is so far fetched.

Except the Blackhawks didn't have a multi-year history of first round collapses to fuel doubt on one side and hope on the other. The Redwings roster is also not made largely of players that have never seen a playoff game, as the Isles roster was. I don't think the two situations can at all be comparable beyond the barest surface similarities. Detroit is full of experience, and I think they are completely in this series. I could be wrong, but I guess we'll see... :wink:
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sat May 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Furthermore, the Pens performance against the Isles took them from Cup favorites to people doubting they could make it out of the Eastern Conference, despite winning in six games and never trailing in the series. If the situation is directly comparable, that means maybe Chicago is not the unstoppable juggernaut the media has made them out to be, and that means the Cup is completely up for grabs for the remaining eight teams. In truth, that may actually be the case...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Sigwolf wrote:Furthermore, the Pens performance against the Isles took them from Cup favorites to people doubting they could make it out of the Eastern Conference, despite winning in six games and never trailing in the series. If the situation is directly comparable, that means maybe Chicago is not the unstoppable juggernaut the media has made them out to be, and that means the Cup is completely up for grabs for the remaining eight teams. In truth, that may actually be the case...

I don't get where the media has painted the 'Hawks as " the unstoppable juggernaut ", I do believe they are the number one seed against a much lower seeded team... who won their first game and then proceeded to lose home ice advantage.

The only way I see a difference between the two situations is, as you said, Detroits experience.

You said it best when you said "Time will tell".
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Sat May 18, 2013 3:25 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:The only way I see a difference between the two situations is, as you said, Detroits experience.

I think you're overlooking another important difference... Detroit has already beaten a higher seeded team this playoff year. The last time the Isles did that was? (I really don't know). In recent memory, it has been very tough to go into Detroit and win on the road. I don't think many teams have worried about having to go win a game on the Island. :o Again, the similarities are only on the surface.

As for the media, do you see anyone talking about the weaknesses of the Blackhawks? They talk about the Penguins weaknesses all the time. Have you seen anyone in the media give the Blackhawks opponents a chance at winning a series, I haven't. They were talking about the Isles winning the series right from when the series went to 1-1 all the way until game 6. I repeatedly saw the talking heads on the NHL network give Ottawa a better than even chance against the Pens before game one was even played. In my mind, there is no comparison in how the two number one seeds have been covered, and I have not seen a negative thing said about Chicago.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Sigwolf wrote:I have not seen a negative thing said about Chicago.

Well we have diffeent media sources then.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Sat May 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Except the Blackhawks didn't have a multi-year history of first round collapses to fuel doubt on one side and hope on the other:

sure they do, they were eliminated in the first round each of the last two years.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Sat May 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Sigwolf wrote:

Make a series of of this? Trying? They're about to beat the 'oh-so-hyped' Blackhawks in Chicago and go back to Detroit with home-ice advantage in the series. I don't even like Detroit (though I like them much better than I like Chicago), but I can't believe how little respect they've gotten. Just about everything written about Detroit in the last series was negative, yet they still handled Anaheim. They haven't been given a ghost of a chance against Chicago, yet they dismantle them on the road to even the series at 1-1. That's a big step for the lower seed every time, as a split is pretty much the goal going into the first two games of a series in that situation. I don't know if they can keep it up and finish Chicago, but one thing they have proven in the playoffs so far is that they're not going away easily and they don't give up. I think they deserve some credit for what they've done against much higher rated talent, especially with their present post-Lidstrom defense.

All good points, but when I posted that, it was still early in the game (2nd period) and the outcome was still in doubt since the score was only 2-1. I simply meant that they were trying to win to make this a competitive series.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat May 18, 2013 8:00 pm

In my picks pool, I picked the Wings in 6. I may have been drunk when I did, but hope the Wings win (I'll be happy in 7).

Rooting for the Sharks tonight as well (for an interesting series, but I picked them too :(
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pronovost19 on Sat May 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Hypothetically, If you are the NHL, are you hoping for Pens-Wings Part III?
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby profpolisci on Sat May 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Forslund but no Razor? TSN it is then.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pronovost19 on Sat May 18, 2013 8:11 pm

profpolisci wrote:Forslund but no Razor? TSN it is then.

Forslund & Razor money...just told wife we ot good and ugly....forslund and micheletti
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sat May 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Razor is indeed the best color guy
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat May 18, 2013 8:15 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:In my picks pool, I picked the Wings in 6. I may have been drunk when I did, but hope the Wings win (I'll be happy in 7).

Rooting for the Sharks tonight as well (for an interesting series, but I picked them too :(

IMO, which is usually wrong, I think the Sharks and Kings are the two teams in the West playing the best. I think whichever team comes out of this series, plays for the Cup. I probably just gave the kiss of death to both teams.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pronovost19 on Sat May 18, 2013 8:15 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Razor is indeed the best color guy

Hughson and razor best ever
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NPR