Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:41 pm

pens2005 wrote:The flyers, once again, force another team into a scrum match, totally get them off their game, and dominate a hockey game.

It's unreal how much their **** gameplan works every friggin time.

They get away with a lot of little stuff. Always intiate the crap seldom get the initial call.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,156
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: 4.5 hours south of Josh Harrison's hometown.

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:44 pm

bh wrote:Selanne with a nice goal tonight. He just seems like his style is from another era. One of my favorite non Penguins.


Meh. He's alright. :pop:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,008
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE!

Re: Other NHL games

Postby pens2005 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Flyers have played so bad this season and they are 3 points from the division lead. Lol.

They'll easily win the division now, in my opinion.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,301
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Other NHL games

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:46 pm

But the Pens are 2nd in the conference!!
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,018
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm

pens2005 wrote:Flyers have played so bad this season and they are 3 points from the division lead. Lol.

They'll easily win the division now, in my opinion.

Waaaa ??? Where's that jump to conclusions mat when you need it.

As a side note: I have a slight man-crush on Wayne Simmons. Man, would he look good beside Crosby.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,727
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:55 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
pens2005 wrote:The flyers, once again, force another team into a scrum match, totally get them off their game, and dominate a hockey game.

It's unreal how much their **** gameplan works every friggin time.

They get away with a lot of little stuff. Always intiate the crap seldom get the initial call.


I don't know what's more frustrating: (a) Their game plan in general; (b) the fact that it's working with increasing effectiveness as the short season progresses; or (c) that 3-4 years ago, when our guys were kids, they were masters at neutralizing it and now...

Laviolette makes me want to punch my TV, and not like Mike Babcock would, in the he-ticks-me-off-because-he's-such-a-good-coach way.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,008
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE!

Re: Other NHL games

Postby pcm on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:03 pm

The Flyers have an identity. It works perfectly for them, because they know who to be on the ice... The Penguins lack an identity, since they can't be the upstart talented kids since they won the cup, and so they fall prey to other teams labeling them instead, "spoiled brats" etc.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Other NHL games

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
pens2005 wrote:The flyers, once again, force another team into a scrum match, totally get them off their game, and dominate a hockey game.

It's unreal how much their **** gameplan works every friggin time.

They get away with a lot of little stuff. Always intiate the crap seldom get the initial call.


I don't know what's more frustrating: (a) Their game plan in general; (b) the fact that it's working with increasing effectiveness as the short season progresses; or (c) that 3-4 years ago, when our guys were kids, they were masters at neutralizing it and now...

Laviolette makes me want to punch my TV, and not Mike Babcock would, in the he-ticks-me-off-because-he's-such-a-good-coach way.

We don't have the kind of grit at the blueline and even at forward that we did a few years ago.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,156
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: 4.5 hours south of Josh Harrison's hometown.

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:10 pm

pens2005 wrote:Flyers have played so bad this season and they are 3 points from the division lead. Lol.

They'll easily win the division now, in my opinion.


Easily? I dunno, pens2005. They certainly have offensive talent (aside from Jeroo, they've got hot players in Simmonds and Voracek), but the mind-games plan currently is important to their success. I just don't think that's good long-term strategy, imo. They're a Bryzgalov slump from falling again, because I think their D just doesn't have it like previous years. If they have to rely on Leighton this year, then they'll suffer for it. Plus, there's the glorious situation that they're up against the cap.

If the Jets win tonight (they're playing the Caps), then the Flyers are back down out of the top 8. Hopefully, BUF pulls one out vs. NJ.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,008
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE!

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
pens2005 wrote:The flyers, once again, force another team into a scrum match, totally get them off their game, and dominate a hockey game.

It's unreal how much their **** gameplan works every friggin time.

They get away with a lot of little stuff. Always intiate the crap seldom get the initial call.


I don't know what's more frustrating: (a) Their game plan in general; (b) the fact that it's working with increasing effectiveness as the short season progresses; or (c) that 3-4 years ago, when our guys were kids, they were masters at neutralizing it and now...

Laviolette makes me want to punch my TV, and not Mike Babcock would, in the he-ticks-me-off-because-he's-such-a-good-coach way.

We don't have the kind of grit at the blueline and even at forward that we did a few years ago.


Duly noted, NC and pcm. I was mistakenly banking that maturity and experience could help them compensate for the relative "gritlessness." Hah.

BTW, I'm not a blind Shero minion, but I'm surprisingly calm and convinced that he's going to do something at the trade deadline to address this. Call it female (fan) intuition...hopefully, it's not more wishful thinking...
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,008
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE!

Re: Other NHL games

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:57 pm

I feel similarly LD, and I sure hope it's not female intuition with me...

Of other note: nothing is done easily in the Atlantic, period. That just doesn't make sense.

Not being talked about is the fact that Bryzgalov is playing every game for Philadelphia, here in the hyper season, that's a lot of work. We'll see how well that does him in the playoffs...they don't trust the backup and if the Flyers are hovering around that 8th seed for a while, they can't take the chance of letting a point or two go here and there...hopefully that'll catch up with them...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,062
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:48 pm

PfanTN wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:That hit is ugly, but not one of the worst we've seen. The thing I dont like about it is how he explodes upwards into the opponent, who is already crouched down pretty low in skating posture..if Z stays low and crouched as he initially is it is probably just as devastating of a hit but potentially safer, although I'm sure there would be whiplash issues.. Although if he stays low himself he might not even go for the big hit because he could get impacted just as harshly.

Its very close though IMO on the clean/dirty line, and I hate that the linesman came in and protected Z while their big goon Rinaldo fought for him..

He left his feet, lead with his elbow, and targeted the head. It's not even close. That is a textbook example of the type of hit they're trying to take out of the game. I agree though, that he went full-on Bobby Clarke there and ducked behind a goon.

Left his feet? absolutely. lead with elbow and targeted the head? come on now. again, a little objectivity......


His elbow is clearly tucked.. compare to Matt Cooke hit on McDonague a few seasons ago..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,710
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: Other NHL games

Postby shmenguin on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
PfanTN wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:That hit is ugly, but not one of the worst we've seen. The thing I dont like about it is how he explodes upwards into the opponent, who is already crouched down pretty low in skating posture..if Z stays low and crouched as he initially is it is probably just as devastating of a hit but potentially safer, although I'm sure there would be whiplash issues.. Although if he stays low himself he might not even go for the big hit because he could get impacted just as harshly.

Its very close though IMO on the clean/dirty line, and I hate that the linesman came in and protected Z while their big goon Rinaldo fought for him..

He left his feet, lead with his elbow, and targeted the head. It's not even close. That is a textbook example of the type of hit they're trying to take out of the game. I agree though, that he went full-on Bobby Clarke there and ducked behind a goon.

Left his feet? absolutely. lead with elbow and targeted the head? come on now. again, a little objectivity......


I'm practicing my "But he's Harry Zolnierczyk!" (no sarcasm; they guy is a hack) He had better get at the very least a Shanacall, since he had a game misconduct for kneeing Perreault a few days ago.

Go Sens Go!


in which TK beats up a convicted child pornographer...
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,930
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:56 pm

mikey287 wrote:I feel similarly LD, and I sure hope it's not female intuition with me...

Of other note: nothing is done easily in the Atlantic, period. That just doesn't make sense.

Not being talked about is the fact that Bryzgalov is playing every game for Philadelphia, here in the hyper season, that's a lot of work. We'll see how well that does him in the playoffs...they don't trust the backup and if the Flyers are hovering around that 8th seed for a while, they can't take the chance of letting a point or two go here and there...hopefully that'll catch up with them...


This matters. They're going to ride Bryzmonaut into the far reaches of the galaxy if they have to. They don't even want Leighton to hold the match at the bottom of the rocket.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,008
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE! FLEUR-EE!

Re: Other NHL games

Postby npv708 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Holy heck.

Blake Wheeler is one tough son of a gun.

It was announced he was done for the day after taking a shot off the knee...comes back and plays in the 3rd.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,759
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Other NHL games

Postby profpolisci on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Hold them, Mr. Miller
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,350
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:21 am

Re: Other NHL games

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 am

Jason Garrison cashed in. 33 points last year. He'd be on pace for less than half of that this year.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,006
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Other NHL games

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:47 pm

I got that feeling that Chicago finally loses today
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,129
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Other NHL games

Postby offsides on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:53 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I got that feeling that Chicago finally loses today


I'm picking Chicago to keep the string alive. Quite an entertaining game so far. These two teams know how to play solid hockey.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,495
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Other NHL games

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm entertained by the game. 0-0? Nevermind, it must be boring!
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Rochester/Buffalo, NY

Re: Other NHL games

Postby meow on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Glad to see Detroit is still the kings of subtle interference.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,623
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Other NHL games

Postby brwi on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Streak in serious danger.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Other NHL games

Postby meow on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:49 pm

That's gotta be delay of game!
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,623
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Other NHL games

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Finally a loss? Dare I say?

Hmm Detroit penalty for last 2 minutes of the 3rd.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,612
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: slappybrown loves mallo cups!

Re: Other NHL games

Postby brwi on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:50 pm

what a FAIL clearing the puck late.....
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,132
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


e-mail