Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:22 am

mikey287 wrote:- Only a matter of time before Rinaldo gets what's coming to him. Someone is gonna call up a goon and get tired of that rat's **** and that'll be it for him...good riddance. I don't often wish ill-will of a serious nature towards a player, but whatever happens to Rinaldo isn't bad enough...no place for a player like that in the National Hockey League...try the LNAH...

i agree that he deserves the worst. i disagree that he'll get it, unfortunately.

i imagine this post was sparked by the malone hit. i can't find it online anywhere except for the inconclusive nhl.com highlights, but i didn't see any head contact on that hit. a lot of rinaldo's hits are legal and effective, so he's not exactly the most useless player in the league. the question i have is why aren't there more guys like him who exist only to take runs at other guys? he does it enough, legally, that it seems like a decent tactic. is it a "code" thing that there aren't more players doing this? not that i want to see that, i'm just curious why players like him are relatively uncommon.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 am

Many players hate players like him. The traditional guys, the veteran guys, the guys that have been around a while. They can't stand players like Rinaldo. They don't like what he represents at all. A guy that's not out there really to even play the puck, he's just out there to hit you...it's one thing if you're just an industrious player like Ryan Callahan, and that's your thing...that's respectable. He's a shot blocker, he scores 20, he's the captain, he's one of "them", the players respect him. There isn't a lot of respect for Rinaldo and what he does. It's just a lot of borderline hits and scum stuff...

Like I said, I don't like to see players get hurt. But when you're a player that's going around and just trying to hurt other players, I hope he gets what's coming to him...he's a rat. There's no place in the league for that...go out and play the game the right way, I don't mind big hits, I don't mind tough grinders, no...but there's 599 guys that go out there and try to play the puck, and you got one guy that goes out there and doesn't even look for it. Just looks for people with it. It's part of what's wrong with the game today...it's crap.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 am

it's weird with rinaldo...every time he scumbags someone, he has a conversation with the ref to qualify what he just did - even when he doesn't get a penalty. at least the book is out on the guy. i think he got a misconduct penalty a couple days ago for whiffing on one of his hits. but ultimately, he'll get a 30 game suspension for something horrific before he gets his face smashed in.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
columbia wrote:NHL Misery Watch (Looking at You, Flyers Fans!)
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... lyers-fans

Thank you for this evening's bathroom reading material.

(Women need some, too.)

LOL! I really enjoyed that piece top to bottom. Thanks, columbia!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:19 am

Sean McIndoe (of Down Goes Brown fame) has been a Grantland regular this season, so their hockey coverage has been upped a notch, both in frequency and entertainment.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MarioLives on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm

mikey287 wrote:Many players hate players like him. The traditional guys, the veteran guys, the guys that have been around a while. They can't stand players like Rinaldo. They don't like what he represents at all. A guy that's not out there really to even play the puck, he's just out there to hit you...it's one thing if you're just an industrious player like Ryan Callahan, and that's your thing...that's respectable. He's a shot blocker, he scores 20, he's the captain, he's one of "them", the players respect him. There isn't a lot of respect for Rinaldo and what he does. It's just a lot of borderline hits and scum stuff...

Like I said, I don't like to see players get hurt. But when you're a player that's going around and just trying to hurt other players, I hope he gets what's coming to him...he's a rat. There's no place in the league for that...go out and play the game the right way, I don't mind big hits, I don't mind tough grinders, no...but there's 599 guys that go out there and try to play the puck, and you got one guy that goes out there and doesn't even look for it. Just looks for people with it. It's part of what's wrong with the game today...it's crap.

I cant count how many times we have these conversations about players having something come to them; OV, Rinaldo, Half the Flyers and Senators.......nobody ever does anything to them. They run around and try to hurt people and never get it in return. How many times have we complained about OV leaving his feet and playing wreckless??? NOTHING ever happens........
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Yeah i'm not sure why anyone thinks that a player will "get whats coming to them". It hasn't been like that in many years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
columbia wrote:NHL Misery Watch (Looking at You, Flyers Fans!)
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... lyers-fans

Thank you for this evening's bathroom reading material.

(Women need some, too.)

LOL! I really enjoyed that piece top to bottom. Thanks, columbia!

Ha. Surprisingly some pretty humorous comments in the facebook section under the article

As a Flyers fan, all I can say is.... "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU**!"

As a Caps fan, I can now feel 100% vindicated. I knew Boudreau was the problem, and now that he's exiled to Anaheim, and the Caps are again Cup favorites, we know where the problem was.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Nah, this isn't anything like Ovechkin. This is a distinct group of player. This isn't even like a Matt Cooke or a Raffi Torres or whatever...this is a guy that really doesn't go out there and do anything but try to inflict pain. There are guys that actually play the game and questionable hits are a part of that...but this guy is all questionable hits. The players won't tolerate that for too long. Teams won't tolerate that for too long. You call up a guy from ECHL or LNAH or something, some monster, and just have him beat Rinaldo to the brink of death and that's it. These kind of guys are the product of a bad on-ice product in the league today, they're a product of the instigator rule, they're just not right for the game. He'll either change his tune or he's gonna get it...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:28 pm

I remember a few weeks ago, i dont know if it was someone on here, or an analyst on twitter or whatever, but they hit the nail on the head when they said Rinaldo is a danger to everyone on the ice. Not just the opposition. And thats true, he just nothing but fly around wrecklessly looking for a hit.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby profpolisci on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Ott wins it for Buff in OT
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Blue Jackets on an 11 game point streak
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 pm

WPG with a late lead against BOS.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Tybrus on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 pm

columbia wrote:WPG with a late lead against BOS.

And their arena is crazy loud. Awesome.
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Tybrus wrote:

They just blew the roof off the place after an empty netter.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tybrus on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 pm

nocera wrote:
Tybrus wrote:

I am excited for the Jets to go to the West. It will only help the franchise if they can develop some real rivalries.
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Tybrus wrote:
nocera wrote:
Tybrus wrote:

I am excited for the Jets to go to the West. It will only help the franchise if they can develop some real rivalries.

They're going to be fun to watch once they wash away that Thrashers stink.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm not that big on Wheeler, but he has something special with that crowd. They go absolutely berserker when he scores.

Remember this from last year?
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Columbus shooting for Chicago's record!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:25 am

HCMT was really gritting his teeth in the presser, after being asked about Subban taking a penalty in OT.
They just need to go on a slide and I think we'll get some good moments out of him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:35 am

columbia wrote:HCMT was really gritting his teeth in the presser, after being asked about Subban taking a penalty in OT.
They just need to go on a slide and I think we'll get some good moments out of him.

Honestly, Montreal is not as good as their record is. They have had some good goaltending and MT brought in a defensive game to their club. However, I can see them falling to that 4 seed and having to play Ottawa.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:00 pm

I am NOT a Detroit fan, but why wasn't that goal reviewed. Looked to me like the Wings got hosed, BIG time.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Kronwall dirty hit. Who would have guessed. Right into the head.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:37 pm

What an *******.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Radko Gudas has a face to fit his name.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NPR