Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 pm

91 held scoreless.

Nashville turned a 3-2 lead into a 5-3 loss at Chicago in the 3rd.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Ovechkin with 25 goals to tie Stamkos.

Fun Fact: Ovechkin only has 4 goals against teams currently in the top 8. 2 against the Pens, One against Toronto, and 1 against the Rangers. Only 1 of those 4 wasn't on the power play....
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 pm

sniper wrote:Ovechkin with 25 goals to tie Stamkos.

Fun Fact: Ovechkin only has 4 goals against teams currently in the top 8. 2 against the Pens, One against Toronto, and 1 against the Rangers. Only 1 of those 4 wasn't on the power play....

It's easy to score 25 when your division is made up of ECHL teams.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Yeah 14 of them are against teams in his division.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Buffalo and New Jersey each get a point. Not what Buffalo wanted...
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm

PPenguinsFan66 wrote:Buffalo and New Jersey each get a point. Not what Buffalo wanted...

that's fine. Any type of Buffalo win will do.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:09 pm

A devils win would help bury the flyers a little more
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 pm

pens#1 wrote:A devils win would help bury the flyers a little more

That's what I want. And I do not like Buffalo.
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 pm

pens#1 wrote:A devils win would help bury the flyers a little more

Buffalo hops over Philly though.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Buffalo's shootout win clinches a playoff spot for the Penguins.

kind of fitting that Chicago and Pittsburgh both clinch a playoff spot on the same night.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Wait, are we trying to minimalize what Ovechkin has done but saying its because his division sucks? Stamkos is in that same division. Just saying. Both players have been very successful this season and his achievement should not be trivialized
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Rylan wrote:Wait, are we trying to minimalize what Ovechkin has done but saying its because his division sucks? Stamkos is in that same division. Just saying. Both players have been very successful this season and his achievement should not be trivialized

Yes it should :pop:
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Rylan wrote:Wait, are we trying to minimalize what Ovechkin has done but saying its because his division sucks? Stamkos is in that same division. Just saying. Both players have been very successful this season and his achievement should not be trivialized

They are both in the same division. Stamkos has 11 goals against playoff teams, 3 on the power play. Seems like a rather large difference to me. Enough that I certainly wouldn't consider him anywhere near an MVP candidate. It will be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 pm

It should when you consider Ovechkin hasn't scored at a pace like this since the steroid scandal broke :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Who cares if they are playoff teams or not that he scored against? In the modern NHL nearly every team is a potential playoff team. That type of logic is silly. Or the only scores on the powerplay? Are those worth 2 goals? Nope only one.

It doesn't matter when or who as long as goals are scored. This is just hoping to hate on a player that is playing phenomenal hockey. Oh and his team has been on a tear lately winning a lot of games.

And the steroid thing I know is a joke. But, he has also had multiple coaches trying to change who is as a hockey player.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Rylan wrote:Who cares if they are playoff teams or not that he scored against? In the modern NHL nearly every team is a potential playoff team. That type of logic is silly. Or the only scores on the powerplay? Are those worth 2 goals? Nope only one.

It doesn't matter when or who as long as goals are scored. This is just hoping to hate on a player that is playing phenomenal hockey. Oh and his team has been on a tear lately winning a lot of games.

And the steroid thing I know is a joke. But, he has also had multiple coaches trying to change who is as a hockey player.

If I was a Caps fan I'd care if he was scoring against teams that are going to make the playoffs considering that's who is going to be playing against in the playoffs. Yes he is playing much better lately. His team has also only played 5 games of the last 15 against teams currently in the top 8. So I'd be concerned about how he is going to play when he is playing playoff teams if I was a caps fan. Wouldn't you? He has 4 goals and 6 assists this year against teams in the top 8. As I said before 3 of those goals are on the power play. He's simply not getting the job done against playoff teams, especially at even strength.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 pm

AO's run might get him to be a finalist (I just don't see him outvoting Crosby for the Hart itself) IF the Caps hold on to win the SE division. Unfortunately, the closest to them is Winnipeg, who is 2 points back with one less game to play (net 4 back). (Carolina shares Winnipeg's max points but has played three fewer games)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Again...playoff teams is 100% irrelevant when only 10 points separates the last place team from 8th. Yes 10 points is a lot, but 5 games that may have been different bounces changes everything. But I am not going to get into that. A large majority of his teams games are against his own division, a division that has the 3 worst teams in the conference. Using the top 8 is just using stats that fit into your view that Ovechkin's numbers (and the Caps for that matter) are inflated. They aren't. They still had to win against teams that are still fighting for a spot. So stop using playoff teams as a barometer. In fact, at least Ovechkin's team is currently IN the playoffs.

Besides, Ovechkin was one of the few players that has been visible in the playoffs for the Capitals the past few years. He wants to win and was generally quite visible when allowed to play. Hunter's leash was way too tight and as such Ovechkin's numbers suffered. But he was and is still an elite goal scorer that is helping propel his team from what looked like certain disaster to a playoff spot.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 pm

relantel wrote:AO's run might get him to be a finalist (I just don't see him outvoting Crosby for the Hart itself) IF the Caps hold on to win the SE division. Unfortunately, the closest to them is Winnipeg, who is 2 points back with one less game to play (net 4 back). (Carolina shares Winnipeg's max points but has played three fewer games)

There is simply no way he should be a hart finalist. NONE! His team has exactly one win this entire year against a team currently in the top 8! An overtime win against Boston. They also beat the Rangers and Islanders in a shootout. They have zero regulation wins against a playoff team, all year! Seriously they are going to make the post season by beating nobody. How is that a hart finalist? It's pathetic that a team with a record like that is even going to be in the playoffs.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Rylan wrote:Again...playoff teams is 100% irrelevant when only 10 points separates the last place team from 8th. Yes 10 points is a lot, but 5 games that may have been different bounces changes everything. But I am not going to get into that. A large majority of his teams games are against his own division, a division that has the 3 worst teams in the conference. Using the top 8 is just using stats that fit into your view that Ovechkin's numbers (and the Caps for that matter) are inflated. They aren't. They still had to win against teams that are still fighting for a spot. So stop using playoff teams as a barometer. In fact, at least Ovechkin's team is currently IN the playoffs.

Besides, Ovechkin was one of the few players that has been visible in the playoffs for the Capitals the past few years. He wants to win and was generally quite visible when allowed to play. Hunter's leash was way too tight and as such Ovechkin's numbers suffered. But he was and is still an elite goal scorer that is helping propel his team from what looked like certain disaster to a playoff spot.

So you don't think it's odd that his team can't beat any of the playoff teams and he can't score against playoff teams? Look most players and teams take advantage of the weaker teams to get their points. I got not problem with that, but they don't do it to this extreme. It's ridiculous how drastically different his and his teams numbers are between non-playoff teams and playoff teams for it to be a coincidence. The only reason his team is making the playoffs is because his team is the best of the worst division in hockey. In reality none of those teams deserve to be in the post season.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:18 pm

But there aren't really any weaker teams. If 10 points is what separates the last place team from a playoff spot it isn't a drastic drop off. This isn't like playing the '03 Penguins. Besides his team is in the playoffs regardless of the division. 42 points is 7th place and the Capitals have 20 wins, most amongst teams with 42 points. That would make them at least a 7th place team, 2 points from 6th and 4 points from 5th. They are 5th in the conference in ROW wins and they are 8-1-1.

Playoff teams comment is still completely irrelevant. But that is fine, don't let other factors and numbers get in your way of hating a player and team.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Rylan wrote:But there aren't really any weaker teams. If 10 points is what separates the last place team from a playoff spot it isn't a drastic drop off. This isn't like playing the '03 Penguins. Besides his team is in the playoffs regardless of the division. 42 points is 7th place and the Capitals have 20 wins, most amongst teams with 42 points. That would make them at least a 7th place team, 2 points from 6th and 4 points from 5th. They are 5th in the conference in ROW wins and they are 8-1-1.

Playoff teams comment is still completely irrelevant. But that is fine, don't let other factors and numbers get in your way of hating a player and team.

His team is in the playoffs because it plays more games against teams in its crappy division than other teams like the Devils and Flyers. Switch the division the Flyers and Capitals are in and the capitals aren't in the playoffs. I'm not saying he's an awful player. He's clearly one of the best in the league. I'm simply pointing out that he and his team are taking major advantage of bad teams to the point that they can't beat a good team. If there aren't really any weaker teams, why can't his team beat any of the ones in the top 8? I mean, they are all basically the same strength right? You'd think they'd win a couple of them.

They are 5th in the conference in ROW wins, with only one against a playoff team. Wow. By the way the 03 pens would have finished within 10 points of the pace Florida is on if they both played a full season, so by your logic there isn't that much of a difference.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter. We've already derailed the thread enough.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Here's hoping Rags-Leafs goes to OT. But tbh, I think the loss at Winnipeg was the final nail in the Flyers' coffin. The Rags can now start shovelling dirt over their grave.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Gaucho wrote:Here's hoping Rags-Leafs goes to OT. But tbh, I think the loss at Winnipeg was the final nail in the Flyers' coffin. The Rags can now start shovelling dirt over their grave.

I would love to see a Rangers-Bruins round 1. Either in the 2-7 or 4-5 spots. I have a weird feeling that Ottawa is free falling to 8 or 9.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 pm

I'd say we could pencil the Rangers, which still leaves one more spot we need filled to keep the flyers out. Assuming the Senators can win a few down the stretch
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NPR