Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 am

Just posted that gif on FB. Caps fans are going nuts....love it
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 am

But he had covered his man, and now people are getting on him for not covering everyone else's man? Could Ovie have gotten to the Ranger? Maybe. But if he does and the puck swings to a defenseman who scores, whose fault would it be?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 am

Rylan wrote:Ovie is a winger so wouldn't his assignment have been the blue line anyways? And with I think 3 or 4 Capitals already low wouldn't him getting back have put everyone on the line out of position?

in squirt hockey maybe. there's no reason for a player to drift in like that unless he's completely given up on the play. OvenChicken's not the only one out of position but he's the only one that did absolutely nothing.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 am

Rylan wrote:Ovie is a winger so wouldn't his assignment have been the blue line anyways? And with I think 3 or 4 Capitals already low wouldn't him getting back have put everyone on the line out of position?

Generally, yes. Let's look...

The play starts as a fairly innocuous 1 on 2. Steve Oleksy (61 white) and Jack Hillen (36 white) have a fairly easy task at their hands despite their limited skill set. Ryan Callahan (24 blue) is willing to take the shot from near the top of the circle, so this is a simple step here, take the shot, back door man takes the rebound and it should be a pretty easy out too. But...it's Washington.

The shot is blocked (looks like by Hillen's stick). The puck ends up in the left circle, Hillen gets back to his perch and the Rangers are out-numbered 4 to 3 in the offensive zone. So this still isn't looking threatening. But...it's Washington.

Both d-men are watching the puck/Callahan as he retrieves it inside the circle. The only Ranger attackmen are on Hillen's side of the ice, so Oleksy is going to step up and try to protect his net and the middle of the ice knowing that he has support on the strong side of the rink. So far, so good.

Hillen decides that he has better things to do in May than play hockey. So, he also steps to the middle of the rink and the puck as if it's the 1-on-2 all over again. Like nothing has changed...this morphs into a situation where two Rangers are the only players below the dots vs. no Capitals. It's easy pitch and catch to cash on the 2-on-0.5 down low on a flabbergasted Hillen...

Now, this isn't necessarily Ovechkin responsibility. But if he's a savvier player that sees this development taking place, maybe he takes a little bit more of an aggressive stance on it...takes a stride towards keeping the puck out of his net in the third period...

His primary responsibility? No. Does, say, Marian Hossa or Pascal Dupuis probably at least try to fix that situation? I'd like to think so.

In a vacuum, yeah, you're probably right. Weak side winger, you pretty much just have to prevent the puck from getting to the weak side point man and then you support the puck to get it out of the zone efficiently (in most systems). But with a little defensive awareness, he might see that something is amiss and makes an effort at it...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 am

So the only reason Ovechkin is getting blasted is because he didn't make it "look" like he was doing something?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 am

Maple Leafs' WAG catfight?

http://deadspin.com/toronto-maple-leafs-lose-wags-exchange-death-eyes-497348635

Spoiler:
I read the update. Mainly posted because they're both hot.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 am

Rylan wrote:But he had covered his man, and now people are getting on him for not covering everyone else's man? Could Ovie have gotten to the Ranger? Maybe. But if he does and the puck swings to a defenseman who scores, whose fault would it be?

Not really sure he had his man covered, given where he is coming from. Not really sure he was doing anything.

Looks worse than it actually is because of his posture, but that's kinda the point.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 am

If you watch Mrs. Reimer, she sends deathglare towards the dude in the Northstars at then looks up at Mrs. Phaneuf.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am

Rylan wrote:But he had covered his man, and now people are getting on him for not covering everyone else's man? Could Ovie have gotten to the Ranger? Maybe. But if he does and the puck swings to a defenseman who scores, whose fault would it be?

Whoever lost their man in front of the net. You always take the bigger threat.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:46 am

PensFanInDC wrote:

Doesnt change the fact that you dont just glide into your zone and stare at the wide open opponent in the slot. Nobody is there to defend him? You, as the LEADER go in and defend him. At least take a stride or 2.

He would've taken a stride or 2 or 10 if the Ranger player was anywhere near the boards.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 am

The funny thing is, if AO had a chance for a breakaway he would of been skating like he was shot out of a cannon
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 am

Yeah I really don't see how you can justify anything on Ovi's behalf. You don't skate like that into your own zone in the regular season let alone a playoff game. I dont care if he had no shot, you have to at least try. 10 million a year, you have to at least *try* FFS
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Thu May 09, 2013 12:21 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Yeah I really don't see how you can justify anything on Ovi's behalf. You don't skate like that into your own zone in the regular season let alone a playoff game. I dont care if he had no shot, you have to at least try. 10 million a year, you have to at least *try* FFS

There's probably 11 other forwards on that team that wouldn't have been gliding to the net like that. Really pathetic, especially for the "captain".

Had he hustled there, I think it's probably still a goal - but who knows, maybe the shot is rushed or the puck fumbled a bit. Really no excuse there.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Thu May 09, 2013 12:27 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Just posted that gif on FB. Caps fans are going nuts....love it

haha - what are their responses? excuses? Sid's a whiner? Pens are tied in the series to an AHL team? Malkin kicked an old lady down a flight of stairs?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Rylan wrote:If you watch Mrs. Reimer, she sends deathglare towards the dude in the Northstars at then looks up at Mrs. Phaneuf.

According to one of the Canadian sportscasters I follow (can't remember which one) - Mrs. Reimer posted on twitter something about someone near them saying something completely uncalled for. I think the guy in the Northstars hat said something (probably about Phaneuf), and they were both reacting to it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Thu May 09, 2013 12:43 pm

More importantly, would you rather?

EC for me.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Looks like Ovi's controller got disconnected.

Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 pm

The Therrien effect wearing off early in Montreal.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Gaucho wrote:The Therrien effect wearing off early in Montreal.

I fully expect Montreal to make the Finals next year, lose, underperform the following year and fire MT before winning the Cup.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Bye bye habs
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Still a great season for them. They finished 15th last season, didn't they?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 pm

They need a lot of help on their roster. Real smallish team and not that talented. What MT did with them this year as opposed to last year's disaster is quite an accomplishment.

They have some good young talent but need to get some size in a hurry and a couple of proven scorers. The Habs aren't built right now to last very long in the playoffs.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Hossssssssa. Looks like the Hawks will finish off the Wild tonight.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 7:17 am

nocera wrote:

I fully expect Montreal to make the Finals next year, lose, underperform the following year and fire MT before winning the Cup.

Bylsma will be available at that time. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NPR