Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 pm

mikey287 wrote:Normally Reimer blows...played the best game I've ever seen him play by a considerable margin tonight. And I watch the Leafs a lot. Unreal game. Boston owned the puck for a full 15 or 16 minutes out of 20 in that 3rd in the attack zone. Been a while since I've seen that kind of offensive zone domination, had me on the edge of my seat all night.
.


Not sure why you're so down on Reimer. I don't doubt you've watched them more than me (I'd say I saw them 4 or 5 times during the season and I've watched most of this series) but they get outshot almost every game, and their D-core is awful. He was seventh in save percentage on a team that was 27th in the league in S/A. After Kessel, he's probably their MVP.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,248
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 10, 2013 10:52 pm

How dare the Caps celebrate an OT win in the playoffs.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,103
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 10:55 pm

mikey287 wrote:Normally Reimer blows...


insert lolwut.jpg
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Rylan on Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Game 7
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Other NHL games

Postby offsides on Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Good, a game 7 coming up.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,485
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Rylan on Fri May 10, 2013 10:57 pm

lol NBCSN was going all weird showing highlights for the Det-Ana game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Other NHL games

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Pavel Datsyuk is the best player I've ever watched in person outside of Crosby and Lemieux.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,248
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Other NHL games

Postby SolidSnake on Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Kraftster wrote:How dare the Caps celebrate an OT win in the playoffs.

Their celebrations have been over the top for the past 5 years or so
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 pm

slappybrown wrote:Pavel Datsyuk is the best player I've ever watched in person outside of Crosby and Lemieux.


Wtf? Malkin, Jagr, Ovechkin? You never seen them either?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Kraftster wrote:How dare the Caps celebrate an OT win in the playoffs.

Their celebrations have been over the top for the past 5 7 years or so
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 11:05 pm

slappybrown wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Normally Reimer blows...played the best game I've ever seen him play by a considerable margin tonight. And I watch the Leafs a lot. Unreal game. Boston owned the puck for a full 15 or 16 minutes out of 20 in that 3rd in the attack zone. Been a while since I've seen that kind of offensive zone domination, had me on the edge of my seat all night.
.


Not sure why you're so down on Reimer. I don't doubt you've watched them more than me (I'd say I saw them 4 or 5 times during the season and I've watched most of this series) but they get outshot almost every game, and their D-core is awful. He was seventh in save percentage on a team that was 27th in the league in S/A. After Kessel(kadri anyway) he's probably their MVP.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Other NHL games

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Godric wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Pavel Datsyuk is the best player I've ever watched in person outside of Crosby and Lemieux.


Wtf? Malkin, Jagr, Ovechkin? You never seen them either?

I considered putting Jagr above him, but Datsyuk's so excellent at both ends. I think he's "better" than Ovi or Malkin. He is so, so good.

EDIT - And again, this is in person at the game. Just my opinion. I can understand why those other guys would be higher on someone else's list.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,248
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Other NHL games

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Godric wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Normally Reimer blows...played the best game I've ever seen him play by a considerable margin tonight. And I watch the Leafs a lot. Unreal game. Boston owned the puck for a full 15 or 16 minutes out of 20 in that 3rd in the attack zone. Been a while since I've seen that kind of offensive zone domination, had me on the edge of my seat all night.
.


Not sure why you're so down on Reimer. I don't doubt you've watched them more than me (I'd say I saw them 4 or 5 times during the season and I've watched most of this series) but they get outshot almost every game, and their D-core is awful. He was seventh in save percentage on a team that was 27th in the league in S/A. After Kessel(kadri anyway) he's probably their MVP.

Kadri hit the wall big time in the final half of the season. I really dislike Kessel, but he was more valuable to that team by most any metric.

I do like Kadri though.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,248
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Other NHL games

Postby profpolisci on Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 pm

I have to think even Ted wouldn't hire the guy from LA.
go Kings go
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,320
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:21 am

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 pm

slappybrown wrote:Kadri hit the wall big time in the final half of the season.


He did, probably an injury or something. I don't hate Kessel but I really do not find him easy to cheer for/like either.

slappybrown wrote:
Godric wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Pavel Datsyuk is the best player I've ever watched in person outside of Crosby and Lemieux.


Wtf? Malkin, Jagr, Ovechkin? You never seen them either?

I considered putting Jagr above him, but Datsyuk's so excellent at both ends. I think he's "better" than Ovi or Malkin. He is so, so good.

EDIT - And again, this is in person at the game. Just my opinion. I can understand why those other guys would be higher on someone else's list.


In the last 6 years its been a toss up of who the best player on the planet was at that moment between Ovi, Crosby, Datsyuk and Malkin. I just can't put any of them up peak against peak vs Jagr and not struggle to argue against Jagr.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Other NHL games

Postby SolidSnake on Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 pm

St Louis seems like they just don't have enough offense, as I say that Polak scores. I find myself becoming a fan of David Backes after watching this series
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Other NHL games

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Reimer's improved this year, without a doubt. But he's nothing more than an average goalie. Lots of holes, isn't especially adept at anything really...I'm surprised there's any love affair with him outside of Leafs nation (even they are up and down on him)...just an average goalie, in terms of pure tools, I'm not positive Scrivens doesn't have a higher upside, but less likely to reach it.

For the people that like him...what's to like? Low set-up goalie with a weak high glove, average rebound control at best, not handy with the stick (which would really aid a team with slow defensemen, but alas...), using his athleticism a little better now (shaking off the shackles of the Allaire hellhole), but I'm not sure about his idea of vertical geometry to utilize it to its fullest...nor is he amazingly athletic, average reflexes, average lateral movement, for a low setup goalie he doesn't seal the ice with any sort of super effectiveness...gets sucked back to his goal line pretty often, and as a result, he loses his angles a little too often for my liking...

Is this just a stat grab and that's why he's good or is there something I'm not seeing...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,913
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Disagree completely on his athleticism and reflexes, but it doesn't surprise me because yet again I find myself disagreeing with your evaluation of a goaltender.

:slug:

Spoiler:
tim thomas
Last edited by Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Other NHL games

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 pm

profpolisci wrote:I have to think even Ted wouldn't hire the guy from LA.
go Kings go


Eric Cartman?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,923
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Other NHL games

Postby profpolisci on Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
profpolisci wrote:I have to think even Ted wouldn't hire the guy from LA.
go Kings go


Eric Cartman?


Smeagol
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,320
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:21 am

Re: Other NHL games

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 pm

mikey287 wrote:Reimer's improved this year, without a doubt. But he's nothing more than an average goalie. Lots of holes, isn't especially adept at anything really...I'm surprised there's any love affair with him outside of Leafs nation (even they are up and down on him)...just an average goalie, in terms of pure tools, I'm not positive Scrivens doesn't have a higher upside, but less likely to reach it.

For the people that like him...what's to like? Low set-up goalie with a weak high glove, average rebound control at best, not handy with the stick (which would really aid a team with slow defensemen, but alas...), using his athleticism a little better now (shaking off the shackles of the Allaire hellhole), but I'm not sure about his idea of vertical geometry to utilize it to its fullest...nor is he amazingly athletic, average reflexes, average lateral movement, for a low setup goalie he doesn't seal the ice with any sort of super effectiveness...gets sucked back to his goal line pretty often, and as a result, he loses his angles a little too often for my liking...


I'm certainly not going to challenge your scouting report (nor could I, since I frankly am confused by some of what you wrote), but if he were as bad as your above analysis would make him out to be, why wouldn't his performance as measured by his statistics reflect that? He faces the 4th most shots per night and turned away a greater percentage of shots than all but 6 other goalies in the league. Perhaps your view is that this season is too small a sample size? But that's unlikely because you then write:

mikey287 wrote:
Is this just a stat grab and that's why he's good or is there something I'm not seeing...?


STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.
STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.
STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.
STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.
STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.
STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.
STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.
STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.
STATS ARE A MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE.

They're not made up numbers that have nothing to do with hockey. They're a pretty good measure of how valuable you've been on a hockey rink. Consider this: if you watched all 48 Leafs games last season, could you rank the Leafs players in order of most to least valuable? I bet you'd be pretty wrong in several cases. But stats -- numbers -- can give you a better, more accurate picture. Because you can't catalog, quantify, and remember everything you've seen. You have no idea if Reimer went .909 or .927 off the top of your head. That's why we write things down. It helps our brains out, it doesn't hurt them. Sure, you can add in things that you observed that are difficult to quantify to your overall evaluation of a player. But I can't stand when people say "stats" are that grossly different from "performance." They're a reasonably close approximation. They just are.

Apologies to the original here, adapted for our purposes: http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2007/02/fffx.html

I know you don't like save%, but I think you're in the minority (or will soon be there because the nerds are coming).
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,248
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Save% is great to evaluate a goaltender. Just not by itself, you need to add quality of shots to the picture too
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Other NHL games

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Godric wrote:Save% is great to evaluate a goaltender. Just not by itself, you need to add quality of shots to the picture too

I have to go to bed Godric, but tomorrow we will discuss why shot quality in the long term is largely a myth.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,248
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Other NHL games

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Godric wrote:Save% is great to evaluate a goaltender. Just not by itself, you need to add quality of shots to the picture too

I have to go to bed Godric, but tomorrow we will discuss why shot quality in the long term is largely a myth.


nite nite
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Other NHL games

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Godric wrote:Disagree completely on his athleticism and reflexes, but it doesn't surprise me because yet again I find myself disagreeing with your evaluation of a goaltender.

:slug:

Spoiler:
tim thomas


This makes me feel a lot better about my evaluation then...

Spoiler:
zing. :slug:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,913
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


e-mail