Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby profpolisci on Wed May 22, 2013 12:42 am

There you go.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby offsides on Wed May 22, 2013 12:45 am

Series tied at 2, Great hockey game by two very good teams. The next game in this series should be another good one. Playoff hockey is hard to beat, good stuff.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:37 am

Sigwolf wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I'd like him to really go into detail like I know he can (he was a noted tactician in his coaching days) but only 1% would really know what he's talking about...

Would that be the extensive coaching days he had in his one partial season in the NHL coaching Hartford to a losing record, or the one full season he coached in the ECHL where he led his team to a losing record and seventh in their division? He's a know-it-all hack that has ridden his right-place-at-the-right-time assistant job in Pittsburgh in the early 90's to a somehow lucrative career. There is a very good reason no NHL team has wanted any part of his "knowledge" in the past twenty years...

You said "extensive", I just said "coaching days". But yes, those days. He was actually supposed to be something just short of a wunderkind in the NHL coaching ranks. Supposed to be one of the next big coaches in the early 90's. It wasn't a lack of knowledge or ideas that knocked him out in Hartford, it was the same thing that makes people dislike him now as an on-air personality...his personality. He was a dictator and treated his players too harshly. He was too exact with his science and it turned the organization against him.

A number of teams have inquired about him in recent years but he's turned them down because he's happy doing what he's doing. There's more job security in broadcasting than coaching or management. To put "knowledge" in quotation marks in your post is to insinuate that Pierre doesn't have any...unfortunately, you're hoisted by your own petard on that count...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 am

Pierre has two very different media personalities. If you've ever heard him give an interview on XM's NHLNetwork station, you would never guess that it's the same guy that does the NBC games. He speaks calmly and intelligently. Not like this rambling idiot that is between the benches for NBC telecasts.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 am

meow wrote:Pierre has two very different media personalities. If you've ever heard him give an interview on XM's NHLNetwork station, you would never guess that it's the same guy that does the NBC games. He speaks calmly and intelligently. Not like this rambling idiot that is between the benches for NBC telecasts.

Yup. Same thing on TSN Radio. He just really loves the game and gets a little "too excited" and too into it and it turns people off apparently...I'd probably be the same way in that position too...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 am

meow wrote:Pierre has two very different media personalities. If you've ever heard him give an interview on XM's NHLNetwork station, you would never guess that it's the same guy that does the NBC games. He speaks calmly and intelligently. Not like this rambling idiot that is between the benches for NBC telecasts.

Its a shame that the use I have for him is putting up with his inane prattle during telecasts.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 22, 2013 9:35 am

doing that between the benches thing is a tough gig. you can't just watch the game and make pithy comments. you have to plan out what you're going to say, make sure the producer has the correct highlight packages cued up, build some sort of persistent narrative, etc.

it's a fairly useless element to broadcasts. i wish pierre was just a color guy.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am

Definitely. Same when he's doing TSN broadcasts. Obviously, NBC wants him to be a different broadcaster/"personality" to their American audiences. That generally leads to over-emphasizing a LOT about particular players or a few general slogans he uses.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 am

He brings all the hate on himself, though. It's no secret that just about everyone in the hockey community thinks he is a boob. NHL players tweet remarks about him rambling like an idiot. You'd think you would change your approach a bit to accomidate your audience's preferences.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 22, 2013 10:12 am

I cant believe how far Brad Richards has fallen...

"After skating 23 shifts and 18:23 in Game 5 against the Washington capitals, Richards’ ice time was sliced to 9:34 in Game 6; it was 11:12 in Game 7; in the first three games against the Bruins, Richards has played 12:57, 10:34 and then 8:10 in Game 3, when Coach John Tortorella had him benched in the third period.

Sixty-million dollars over nine years. Benched in the most important game of the Rangers’ season."
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 22, 2013 11:18 am

Joe Thornton has seemed to have got to his game these playoffs.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 am

meow wrote:He brings all the hate on himself, though. It's no secret that just about everyone in the hockey community thinks he is a boob. NHL players tweet remarks about him rambling like an idiot. You'd think you would change your approach a bit to accomidate your audience's preferences.

Like I said previously, this is what happens when you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Wed May 22, 2013 11:26 am

meow wrote:He brings all the hate on himself, though. It's no secret that just about everyone in the hockey community thinks he is a boob. NHL players tweet remarks about him rambling like an idiot. You'd think you would change your approach a bit to accomidate your audience's preferences.

I think he accommodates his bosses at NBC in order to keep drawing a paycheck from them.

Another example is Mike Milbury who was a very good analyst before being hired by the Isles as GM(probably WAS the reason he was hired in the first place) and now he's just a character playing an entertainment role on NBC.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sigwolf on Wed May 22, 2013 11:31 am

mikey287 wrote:You said "extensive", I just said "coaching days". But yes, those days. He was actually supposed to be something just short of a wunderkind in the NHL coaching ranks. Supposed to be one of the next big coaches in the early 90's. It wasn't a lack of knowledge or ideas that knocked him out in Hartford, it was the same thing that makes people dislike him now as an on-air personality...his personality. He was a dictator and treated his players too harshly. He was too exact with his science and it turned the organization against him.

A number of teams have inquired about him in recent years but he's turned them down because he's happy doing what he's doing. There's more job security in broadcasting than coaching or management. To put "knowledge" in quotation marks in your post is to insinuate that Pierre doesn't have any...unfortunately, you're hoisted by your own petard on that count...

Interesting that you defend him so vigorously that you resort to personal attack, however clevery insinuated. I, as would nearly anyone, find it difficult to believe a coaching wunderkind would bounce around to a few teams primarily as an assistant over five years followed by an unsuccessful year in the ECHL, of all things, and never be seen in the coaching ranks again. Seems like someone would want to utilize some of that genius for their team regardless. His resume speaks for itself, no amount of spin can wipe away the fact that he couldn't stick in the NHL as a coach. Being a dictator and treating his players harshly doesn't come close to explaining it away, either. Plenty of NHL coaches have spent many years coaching in the NHL with just such a description, Mike Keenan immediately comes to mind, but Scotty Bowman would also probably fit.

A number of teams have inquired according to whom, him? A common theme among people who cannot compete at the highest levels of any occupation is that they are "happy where they are". In certain instances, that is completely understandable. However, it is a rare thing that someone who appears to have such passion for an occupation would be happier talking about it than actively participating in it. There are an awful lot of examples of commentators that have been more than happy to leave their job security behind to return to the coaching ranks. Most movement the other way comes from a coach being fired and unable to get another position, or as a retirement move to finish their career.

As for why "knowledge" was in quotes, that then led you to imply I had none for daring to have a different opinion than yours of an NHL commentator, was not to imply he doesn't have any. It was to imply that a team getting him is not like hiring an encyclopedia. You don't just get his knowledge, you get his personality and everything else that comes with him, and he is an annoying putz, regardless of his knowledge... the same reason he turns off so many fans.

edit...

on further review, I think we are just in a circular argument here. I, and I think many of the other people here that dislike him, aren't complaining about his hockey knowledge. The problem is that he is like an idiot circus clown on the air. No amount of knowledge can overcome that in my mind, while others may not care or have a higher tolerance for it. I didn't convey that very well in the first post, but I think that's where the problem lies. I do, however, still doubt his coaching skills. Being book-smart does not necessarily translate into being able to do a particular job.
Last edited by Sigwolf on Wed May 22, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Wed May 22, 2013 11:33 am

It's like, people only do things to get paid. And that's just really sad.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Didn't Pierre interview for the MTL and Wild GM positions within the last few years?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm

columbia wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Isn't NBC supposed to stream all of the games for free for existing cable/satellite customers? I tried to watch the game and it says "Coverage has concluded for today" but there is a link to "watch now" on another page...

I have tried a number of times from my phone - Verizon - and Game Center says that it's being nationally broadcasted.
Just checked through my ISP - Comcast - and it comes through.....However, there seemed to be a "do you have the right provider" check.

I watched Sunday's game for a while, and it asked me for login credentials for my CATV provider, and it worked fine. Multiple angles and even a rink level view sans announcers. This was on my desktop.

Last night, it never asked me for CATV credentials but said coverage was done for the day. Yet, it said that the game could be streamed live several places on the website. Odd.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 22, 2013 3:29 pm

A little late to the party, but didn't anybody else immediately think "no way that bounces out for Fleury" on the initial shot that lead to the Bruins GWG last night?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 pm

tfrizz wrote:A little late to the party, but didn't anybody else immediately think "no way that bounces out for Fleury" on the initial shot that lead to the Bruins GWG last night?

:lol: I didn't think of that, but it's pretty funny none the less. I told my roommate, "ya know, with the way Lundqvist is playing tonight, if that sequence doesn't lead to a goal and the Rangers pull out a win there, that goes into Madison Square Garden's classic games reel immediately..."

The way he was playing last night and then the mind-control save there with minutes to go...it would have been pretty epic. I mean, that bounced over his pad...that's one of the most ridiculous bounces I've seen...

Last two playoffs (to date) for Henrik Lundqvist:
30 GP, 1.91 GAA, .933 save pct., 5 shutouts.........he's 14-16 in that stretch. Score that man a goal...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 22, 2013 3:53 pm

:shock:

How in the hell did that not bounce forward? Physics be damned!
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu May 23, 2013 11:40 am

Multiple sources reporting that Brad Richards will be a healthy scratch for the Rangers tonight.

He still did a media session though.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 23, 2013 11:48 am

I saw that. Unreal what has happened with that guy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 23, 2013 11:50 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Multiple sources reporting that Brad Richards will be a healthy scratch for the Rangers tonight.

He still did a media session though.

TSN reporting it as well.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Thu May 23, 2013 11:52 am

HAHAHAHAAA
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I saw that. Unreal what has happened with that guy.

He's old. The Rangers gave him a huge contract when he was already old.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NPR