Amateur Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Amateur Hockey Thread

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:56 am

most of the rinks here in ATL are sand. the newest one is concrete though and that results in much harder, faster ice.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:18 pm

meow wrote:I treat buying hockey equipment like I treat buying toliet paper. I'll pay more for a high quality product that will last longer. Most of the time, it is more cost effective to do it this way.

and never buy anything that was previously used.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 pm

Straightened one of my old sticks. Interested in trying it to see how it works. Unfortunately I will be out of town next week and won't be able to try it until I get back from NOLA.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mango Salsa on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:22 am

dodint wrote:Not sure if this will link correctly, but my local rink (only rink, 67 miles away) is resurfacing and repainting the last few days and have been putting up pictures of the process. They're using sand as the base layer which I wouldn't have guessed. I assumed the base was just smoothe concrete with ice on top. Kirk S. Nevin Arena used to melt off their ice and do roller hockey in the summer so I assumed that's how it was done. This rink here is basically laying down a sand bed, freezing it, putting three coats of paint on top, and then ice on top of that. Pretty neat, but they're already a week overdue and had to move some adult league games.

I helped with that at the rink I used to play at (Hagerstown MD) its an extremely tedious process. The boards & doors have to be realigned because the ice gets under and heaves them up & out. Then repairs to coolant tubing, level the sand, build up layers of ice, paint white, more ice, lay out the lines, circles, goal creases, stencils for sponsors & huge bulldog at center ice, hand paint everything, then build up more ice one layer at a time.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to NPR