Hanging regular season banners

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hang them or no?

Yes- they are a sign of accomplishment
30%
No- the regular season means nothing
30%
Indifference- ?????????
20%
Yes to player achievements, no to division banners
3%
No to player achievements, yes to division banners
17%

Total votes : 30

Hanging regular season banners

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Saw this picture on twitter of all the Caps 'successes' throughout the ages. I know the Pens have division banners hanging and banners for players individual achievements as well, but personally I wish they didn't. The playoffs are the only thing that really matters. That is what determines where you draft, that is what goes down in history as being remembered. I mean, the Caps have a presidents trophy banner, Eastern Conference regular season banner, and a division banner ALL FROM THE SAME YEAR! Ugh. They didn't even represent the East in the finals or anything. They flamed out. They choked. They're forgotten.

I can sorta see hanging a banner for Eastern Conf Champs if you are the team that reps the conference in the Stanley Cup finals, but that I think is where I personally draw the line.

What say you?
Last edited by Fire0nice228 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Hanging regular season banners

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Aren't the Pens division banners from the playoffs? Similar to the new playoffs for next year. They have the divisional playoff, then the ECF.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 pm

I believe they have both.. I swear I saw some Atlantic division banners hanging as well as the older ones. So that is something else to consider too. Does winning playoff division matter, or just that you rep the East overall.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Pens have division champion regular season banners up. I'm oil with that. All teams do it. Now the regular season Easter conference championship banner the caps put up is uber lame.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Whats the difference though? Regular season division championship banner..you could argue that the Eastern Conf one is more of an achievement because its over 14 teams not just 4. Of course neither mean anything when your bounced in the first round.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Like others have said, we have a slew of these.

Main difference is we also have 3 Stanley Cup Champions banners.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Regular season conference banner seems silly, it's not an even playing field.
I am ok with regular season division and playoff conference champions though. And Ross/Hart banners. IDK about Richard, Selke, Norris et al banners, never gave them a thought.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby redwill on Fri May 03, 2013 1:06 am

I give them credit that they got the apostrophe right in the Presidents' Trophy banner.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 03, 2013 7:44 am

I have no problem with hanging a presidents trophy banner, a division champ banner or a conference banner, but hanging a regular season conference champ banner is a stretch.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri May 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Yes for division.

Yes for one banner listing winners and years of individual awards.

Yes for winning the conference in the playoffs.

No for President's trophy, meaningless on it's own.

Absolutely NO to regular season conference inner. So Lame. No team that hasn't won 12 playoff games should ever think about raising one.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 pm

I would think a President's trophy banner would be better than a division champs banner
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri May 03, 2013 2:57 pm

meow wrote:I would think a President's trophy banner would be better than a division champs banner

In Hockey, especially. In the NFL, winning your division is a must, since it means you make the playoffs. In the NHL, it doesn't make much difference.

I also think the work Champions is tossed around a lot more than I recall in the past. For instance, in the NCAA tournament this year, the teams that won their regional brackets... I don't think I have ever seen someone that didn't win an actual championship put a hat on that said 'Champion' on it:

Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri May 03, 2013 3:22 pm

I have no problem with teams hanging divisional, conference, Presidents' Trophy banners along with their cup banners (if they have one of course). To me it's an accomplishment that not only a team and its fans can be proud of, but worthy of making a banner for. Also it's something most teams do anyways but in the end I don't got a problem with it.

But no to raising a banner because your the regular season champions of your conference.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby mac5155 on Sun May 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Don't the pens have 1 banner per accomplishment and then add years to the banner?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun May 05, 2013 11:27 pm

The "Regular Season Champion" thing just screams ridiculous. Maybe it's the choice of wording or whatever, but it just sounds bad. It's like hanging a banner for going undefeated in preseason.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 06, 2013 12:10 am

Well, we could hang a banner in the CEC honoring Donnie Iris :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 06, 2013 2:18 am

The Caps also have the 2010 Winter Classic Champs banner too, right? LOL.

For me:

Yes - division
Yes -conference - if you rep the conference in the SCF
Yes- SC - if you win

I'm not a huge fan of the President's Trophy banner because it screams "We blew it in the playoffs!" but I can totally understand it, sure.

No entertainer banners, like the Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen consecutive sell-out banners at the Wells Fargo Center.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 06, 2013 7:47 am

I didn't know they had those banners, but I think thats kind of funny.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon May 06, 2013 2:37 pm

It seems weird to me that so many are okay with raising a regular season division banner, but then are saying no to raising a regular season conference banner. You only have to beat 4 other teams to win your division, 14 to win the conference. To me, winning the conference in regular season could be viewed as a bigger deal (even though the Caps got to cream the Southleast all those years en route to their reg season conf winning years).

To me , if you didn't win in the playoffs then don't hang it. The Verizon Center rafters are full of hockey banners and not a single one of them is representing playoff success. Thats lame.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 pm

i dont mind hockey related banners. the billy joel-type banners are just absurd.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Anyone ever been inside Montreals Barn? I can imagine that that would be the standard right?
(Yes I know they have so many more championships than anyone, but the Caps method is just assinine)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:It seems weird to me that so many are okay with raising a regular season division banner, but then are saying no to raising a regular season conference banner. You only have to beat 4 other teams to win your division, 14 to win the conference. To me, winning the conference in regular season could be viewed as a bigger deal (even though the Caps got to cream the Southleast all those years en route to their reg season conf winning years).

You only have to beat 4 other teams for the division, but you're playing them 6 to 7 times a year. You only see the rest of the conference maybe 3 times.

Also, 1st in the conference takes record/points against the Western Conference as well, which is why I think teams have the division banners over the conference banners.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes to Division banner - you win the division during the regular season
Yes to Conference champion in playoffs - I feel the conference is actually won during the playoffs
Yes to Cup - obvioius, you won the league
Yes to Presidents Trophy - not so much for the regular season champions of the league, but for the actual trophy (I know, doesn't make sense)

No to regular season Conference - (I hope the Pens don't do this)

Individual awards, I don't mind if you have a slew of them, like the Pens have 14 Art Ross. That is quite an achievment.

Everyone has their own opinion on this though.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 06, 2013 6:36 pm

With the league going back to old format, the only division championship banners appropriate would be if you are the representative out of your division in the ECF. To me first place in the regular season isn't worth a banner when you have to beat 2 teams (at least 1 anyhow) in your own division.

However, I'll throw this bone out here.

Say Pens some year are the 4th or 5th in their division but get switched to the other for the first 2 rounds. Do you raise a banner for winning a division you aren't in, haha?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Mon May 06, 2013 11:03 pm

yes to division champ banners, but have the years added onto one banner:

[DIVISION CHAMPIONS]
\ 2001 /
\ 2003 /
\ 2004 /
\ 2008 /
\ 2013 /