For the experts out there

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

For the experts out there

Postby MarioLives on Mon May 06, 2013 7:10 am

I have seen a lot of talk about the Isles having too much speed for the Pens. What do you think the rankings would be of the teams in the playoffs as far as speed goes? Fastest teams to the slowest?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: For the experts out there

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 06, 2013 9:29 am

Whew, that's a whopper of a question...

I don't think it's worth ranking them all...but I'll say this...

1. Chicago - They're fast, very mobile defense and they play a fast game.
The Islanders and Canadiens are fast too...the Habs don't always play a fast-paced game, but they do have some speed and quick strike ability. The Ducks play a fast game and their depth is fast. Their best players aren't the speediest (Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Beauchemin) but they fit fine in the system. They might have the fastest depth in the league. Vancouver is faster than their best players would represent.

In terms of slowness (in no real order):
The Rangers are pretty slow and play a slow game. Hagelin is fast, but he's just a depth forward. So is Kreider.
Toronto has some speed at forward (Kessel, Kadri) but they have one of the least mobile defenses in the NHL which is greatly inhibited when they scratch both of John-Michael Liles and Jake Gardiner from their lineup.
Boston is pretty slow throughout their lineup and play a slow game. Their defense isn't very mobile either.
San Jose started out slower, but after moving Douglas Murray and Ryane Clowe, they sped up a little. They're still a board-working team that uses size a lot. Not really a free-flowing attack team.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Mon May 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Nice, thanks that helps. I am trying to see if speed or size is winning these days
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Gotta add Grabovski for the list for Toronto.

This is why I said before playoffs were set that I feared Toronto and Isles more than any other team. Speed and a history of causing us trouble in the last several years.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm

guiner wrote:Gotta add Grabovski for the list for Toronto.

This is why I said before playoffs were set that I feared Toronto and Isles more than any other team. Speed and a history of causing us trouble in the last several years.

Are you just specifying Eastern Conference teams? Because if you're expanding that league wide I think the 'Hawks might even be quicker than the Isles.

I know there was an entire thread devoted to the 'Hawks being overrated, but there's no question in my mind that they're a team that could match up extremely well if we have to play them in the SCF.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Return to NPR