Other NHL games 2013-2014 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games 2013-2014 season

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:No debate, everyone hates the Flyers more.

And who hates Rask...? Grow up :pop:

Also, **** that...no need to give them a point in that one...how many bounces can the Flyers get here down the stretch...I don't mean to be "that guy" that dismisses a team that really is playing well, they really are, and they have a really strong group of forwards, but man, there are just some bounces that they get in their games that are just like what the ****...?

Whatever, they're in now basically...even they can't lose a 3 game advantage with 8 left...especially considering the teams trying to get them are on the wrong side of average...just hope that the Rangers can murderize them...

The 2 vs. 3s are basically set in each East. Sort of hope that the Rangers get home ice over the Flyers, but that might even be tough.
Montreal and Tampa should be an entertaining series.

I really want Columbus - Detroit to win the wild cards, in that order. Bring the Jackets to Pittsburgh and Detroit to Boston.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:27 pm

mikey287 wrote:No way should he be a Norris contender this year. It would be a reputation job, like Lidstrom's last one, if he gets anything more than fringe consideration...

I was thinking about cobbling together an award thread where some of the people that watch a lot of non-Pens games could vote...but I'm not sure how much interest there would be...are there enough people that feel that they know the non-Pens teams to participate? If not, I'll make my own thread with blackjack...and hookers...in fact, forget the awards...

I'd be interested in reading it, so it could tip off who I should be watching. I wouldn't feel compelled to vote, though.

Thanks for the take on Chara, mikey and sniper. I wasn't attempting to compare them head to head, just wondering if they're both playing the same role for their respective teams: locker room leader with diminishing on-ice skills.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:32 pm

I agree. The Jackets are very much a "heavy" team, they are a Clarence Conference type of team, but in the wrong conference basically...I'm a little uneasy about playing almost any one in the playoffs at this point (which is a terrible feeling and it's been gnawing at me more and more as we inch closer to our real season...as this has been an 82-game preseason as far as I'm concerned...) but I think Columbus would be a good place to hawk our cheesy wares...JMFJ is a power forward that plays defense, Wisniewski can't clear his throat much less the crease, the Tin-Tin pairing doesn't seem to be anything like last year and honestly, I haven't even seen it exist for at least much of the late stages here...Nikitin was a scratch all together in the last CBJ game I watched...and they aren't playing that real passive defense from last year, where they had five guys basically come back below the hashmarks and all that...

Dare I say, I think we could take them...but who knows with this team...ok, no more discussion about that, it makes me nervous...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:39 pm

dodint wrote:
mikey287 wrote:No way should he be a Norris contender this year. It would be a reputation job, like Lidstrom's last one, if he gets anything more than fringe consideration...

I was thinking about cobbling together an award thread where some of the people that watch a lot of non-Pens games could vote...but I'm not sure how much interest there would be...are there enough people that feel that they know the non-Pens teams to participate? If not, I'll make my own thread with blackjack...and hookers...in fact, forget the awards...

I'd be interested in reading it, so it could tip off who I should be watching. I wouldn't feel compelled to vote, though.

Thanks for the take on Chara, mikey and sniper. I wasn't attempting to compare them head to head, just wondering if they're both playing the same role for their respective teams: locker room leader with diminishing on-ice skills.

Yeah, this is Chara's worst season in the last several as far as I'm concerned...I don't really ever look at stats, but I'm guessing he has a boatload of goals this year because of how the Bruins have switched up their power play this season...anyone that saw him score his backhand goal from 10 feet out today can speak to that a bit...he's now a goal line threat as well...

I'll share my Norris thoughts when I make that thread during the coming work week...but I get through my ballot (of 5) and he's not on the radar yet...now, of course, Chara's worst season (well, since he stopped looking like bambi on ice) is better than a lot of d-man's best...so everything is relative...but the dominance isn't really there...never a strong skater at all, and those knees and hips aren't getting any younger...he's a physical freak, so I think he'll hang around, but in more of a Hal Gill type of role than a Chris Pronger type of role as we head towards the sunset...that said, he's not done, and I'm sure he'll be a major force in these Stanley Cup Playoffs...though, he'll be without his normal playoff partner in crime, Dennis Seidenberg...

And in full disclosure, I'll counter my "I knew it! :idea: " post on Gustav Nyquist from a few nights ago (as he has once again scored while wearing Matt Carle as a backpack...be sure to check that one out tonight for those that aren't watching Wings/Bolts right now), here's my counter to that. I remember Chara going way back, I did not think very much of him. Thought he was a third pairing defenseman probably, not a lot of puck skills (which is pretty true, he's not an elite passer by any means), thought he'd be just one of those bruisers, like Erskine or something...maybe evolve into a guy that could work well in dual-shutdown deal like Phillips-Volchenkov did for Ottawa in 2007...and further, I was quite sure Wade Redden was better than him by a comfortable margin...fast forward: Redden was riding buses for much of the last few years and Chara is going to the HHOF...can't win'em all...but man, did I not see this coming at all...never've guessed...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Ovechkin: -15 and no even strength goals in the month of March.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sluggermatt15 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Kovy27 wrote:

Also, **** that...no need to give them a point in that one...how many bounces can the Flyers get here down the stretch...I don't mean to be "that guy" that dismisses a team that really is playing well, they really are, and they have a really strong group of forwards, but man, there are just some bounces that they get in their games that are just like what the ****...?

Whatever, they're in now basically...even they can't lose a 3 game advantage with 8 left...especially considering the teams trying to get them are on the wrong side of average...just hope that the Rangers can murderize them...

The 2 vs. 3s are basically set in each East. Sort of hope that the Rangers get home ice over the Flyers, but that might even be tough.

I really want Columbus - Detroit to win the wild cards, in that order. Bring the Jackets to Pittsburgh and Detroit to Boston.

I don't feel a problem playing either Columbus or Detroit. The Penguins match up nicely with both. The Red Wings have a lot of injured stars. The Jackets are a young, upstart team, but do not have deep playoff experience, especially in goal. I'd take MAF, even with his recent postseason performance, over Curtis McElhinney or Segei Bobrovsky.
sluggermatt15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Staggy on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Doughty hasn't been getting nearly enough Norris consideration. Most seem to have already mailed it to Duncan Keith, who's had a great year, but Doughty has been just as good IMO.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Tonight on "Profiles of Abject Failure," we focus on the Toronto Maple Leafs. Carlyle I am sure is getting his resume updated.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Staggy wrote:Doughty hasn't been getting nearly enough Norris consideration. Most seem to have already mailed it to Duncan Keith, who's had a great year, but Doughty has been just as good IMO.

You have spoiled my pick. Great call by you. He's been the best defenseman in the NHL this season as far as I'm concerned.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:18 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Staggy wrote:Doughty hasn't been getting nearly enough Norris consideration. Most seem to have already mailed it to Duncan Keith, who's had a great year, but Doughty has been just as good IMO.

You have spoiled my pick. Great call by you. He's been the best defenseman in the NHL this season as far as I'm concerned.

Haha glad to see I'm not the only one that thought that. I haven't gotten to see the Kings nearly as much as I'd like but every time I have he's been fantastic. It's a shame that a lack of points are likely to prevent him from winning. Keith has a huge advantage considering how good the Hawks' offense is, not to mentions he plays with a rock like Seabrook. Doughty has had to cover for his partner quite a bit, which has really limited his offensive freedom. Just look at how unreal he played in Sochi with a defensive stud like Vlasic as a partner. Give him a Seabrook and he'd likely be the Norris front runner.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:35 pm

I havent watched nearly as much west hockey this year, but my vote would go to OEL. Dude is silky smooth and i'd have him on the ice in all situations. Hes the closest thing ive seen to a "lidstrom" ive seen other than uber-lidstrom on the Pens obviously.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:40 pm

Drew Doughty approves.

Spoiler:
Love this pic, and the photoshops it spawned.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Kovy27 wrote:

Flyers have had a bad time at MSG for the last couple of years. Do us a solid, Rangers!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Durbano on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Caps get a point at Nashville but lose in shoot-out. Now 1 point behind Columbus but the Blue Jackets have a game in hand.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:30 am

mikey287 wrote:I was thinking about cobbling together an award thread where some of the people that watch a lot of non-Pens games could vote...but I'm not sure how much interest there would be...are there enough people that feel that they know the non-Pens teams to participate? If not, I'll make my own thread with blackjack...and hookers...in fact, forget the awards...

Sooooo, is this going to happen? The awards thread, not the table games and women of ill-repute thread.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 am

sluggermatt15 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

I don't feel a problem playing either Columbus or Detroit. The Penguins match up nicely with both. The Red Wings have a lot of injured stars. The Jackets are a young, upstart team, but do not have deep playoff experience, especially in goal. I'd take MAF, even with his recent postseason performance, over Curtis McElhinney or Segei Bobrovsky.

As of now, it sounds like Zetterberg has a chance to be back and Dats should be back. I don't like that match up, at all. Let them go play Boston.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:38 am

According to the Avs twitter, Duchene out "roughly" 4 weeks.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:14 pm

meow wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I was thinking about cobbling together an award thread where some of the people that watch a lot of non-Pens games could vote...but I'm not sure how much interest there would be...are there enough people that feel that they know the non-Pens teams to participate? If not, I'll make my own thread with blackjack...and hookers...in fact, forget the awards...

Sooooo, is this going to happen? The awards thread, not the table games and women of ill-repute thread.

Yes.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Must-win games for Ottawa and NJ tonight.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:44 pm

That review should take about 5 seconds. Good goal.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Took 15 seconds. Garage league.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:53 pm

Karlsson is a mess in his own end.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 pm

Gaucho wrote:Karlsson is a mess in his own end.

He's a lot worse this year than he has been in the last couple...really a lot of regression in Ottawa this year except maybe Spezza and Clarke MacArthur...oh, throw Turris in there too...he's really done a fine job in Ottawa...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Good example of line matching creating a distraction...Pierre picked up on it, and it's great insight and a great catch by him...Devils put out the Clowe-Zajac-Jagr line (which believe it or not is their top line) and Kulikov says to assistant coach Brian Skrudland, "Hey, they got their big time guys out there...should I/we still go?" - "Yeah, you can go..." - instant goal. That tells me that Kulikov doesn't go out against these type of players, it's in his head, that he's not good enough...he's probably the second most skilled player on the blueline behind Brian Campbell, and yet he is only trusted to go against the other club's third line or whatever...that can snowball on you depending on who you are...he goes out, he makes a mistake, coaches know it, he knows it...

I'm blowing this up because it's rare that a commentator has the sense/access to pick up on it...

That doesn't mean line matching is a big, bad evil or anything like that...a fair amount of coaches use it as a tactic...but it's not necessarily a must-have and it does have its consequences...great job by Pierre on picking up on that...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 pm

So Colorado and Chicago are pretty much locked to play in the first round. Hawks are going to smoke the Avs.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NPR