Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby profpolisci on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm

"Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman is among a group of NHL GMs and executives who believe the time has come for the league and Players' Association to take a more aggressive path towards eliminating fighting."

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=433262

Glad to see this :thumb:
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,315
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:21 am

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:09 pm

As I said earlier today

pittsoccer33 wrote:They want to stop head injuries but they allow bare knuckle punches to be thrown. Thats so hypocritical its kind of unbelievable.

Eventually the lawyers and insurance will catch up with hockey, football, and the combat sports. The NFL has the biggest financial target so it will start there. But they will all become uninsurable or the insurance will be so costly you will see non professional programs fall apart.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,433
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby profpolisci on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:32 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Eventually the lawyers and insurance will catch up with hockey, football, and the combat sports.


I see it starting with the parent's. Where I live, midget football program enrollments have been trending downward while soccer is soaring.

A slightly relevant anecdote: there are no hockey teams here, nor much interest in the game, but it's surprising the number of area parent's who are well familiar with the circumstance of Derek Boogaard.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,315
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:21 am

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Best part about soccer is that people assume its safer when its dangerous in different ways. Makes me laugh.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby offsides on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Rylan wrote:Best part about soccer is that people assume its safer when its dangerous in different ways. Makes me laugh.


Being someone who has never played and knows almost nothing about it, what are the main dangers of soccer?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,485
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby columbia on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:36 pm

I like fighting, but this is the inevitable outcome.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,350
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 pm

offsides wrote:
Rylan wrote:Best part about soccer is that people assume its safer when its dangerous in different ways. Makes me laugh.


Being someone who has never played and knows almost nothing about it, what are the main dangers of soccer?


Lower body injuries are high (knee and ankle especially. Can't name one person I played with that didn't have at least 1 significant injury to either). But, head injuries are also high when competing for aerial balls. Plus, rumor has it that repeatedly heading soccer balls is not very good for the brain either. But, soccer is far more physical than its perceived and parents' that want their kids to play soccer because its "safer" is rather comical.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:04 pm

Yeah, I have a friend who plays soccer for W&J, and I'm pretty sure he's had 2 or 3 concussions this season alone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,433
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby offsides on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Yeah, I have a friend who plays soccer for W&J, and I'm pretty sure he's had 2 or 3 concussions this season alone.


I didn't know. This is a serious question but could helmets (soft or hard) help this issue, or do concussions just have to be tolerated?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,485
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby mikey287 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:43 pm

High speed things tend to be dangerous. That's why the good ones get paid the big bucks...it's risk pay.

Not that it needs any further backing, but count me in as someone that knows multiple people with pretty grotesque soccer injuries (one is concussed)...

Ban sports?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,889
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:57 pm

offsides wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Yeah, I have a friend who plays soccer for W&J, and I'm pretty sure he's had 2 or 3 concussions this season alone.


I didn't know. This is a serious question but could helmets (soft or hard) help this issue, or do concussions just have to be tolerated?

Concussions could be avoided in all sports if movement was also eliminated. Until you dont hVe people and objects moving at high speeds in different directions, you arent even going to decrease them slightly.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,242
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby offsides on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:08 pm

mikey287 wrote:High speed things tend to be dangerous. That's why the good ones get paid the big bucks...it's risk pay.

Not that it needs any further backing, but count me in as someone that knows multiple people with pretty grotesque soccer injuries (one is concussed)...

Ban sports?


I understand the risk pay thing, but will other professional sports go through the NFL type lawsuits? Also, the vast majority of high school and college athletes will never get the big pay but may be seriously injured. Banning physical sports is out of the question so I guess as long as athletes are completely informed of the dangers, concussions and other injuries will just be part of the equation. Guess there are no good answers that will satisfy most players and fans.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,485
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 pm

decades of clean hits in hockey, headers in soccer, blocking by linemen...these are the leaders in brain damage. not fights. if you want to eliminate brain trauma, you eliminate sports - not a niche part of sports.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,802
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Concussions could be avoided in all sports if movement was also eliminated. Until you dont hVe people and objects moving at high speeds in different directions, you arent even going to decrease them slightly.


Eliminating punches to the head is a pretty good start. This is what they do to the brain:

Image

The one on the left is the healthy one. The one on the right has suffered repeated blows over time.

This isn't about soreness walking later in life. Its about forgetting where you're walking to and why.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,433
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby offsides on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:16 pm

shmenguin wrote:decades of clean hits in hockey, headers in soccer, blocking by linemen...these are the leaders in brain damage. not fights. if you want to eliminate brain trauma, you eliminate sports - not a niche part of sports.


Isn't the NFL eliminating parts of their sport such as running backs not being allowed to lead with their helmets outside the tackle box and no one allowed to go near a receivers head?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,485
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:20 pm

offsides wrote:
shmenguin wrote:decades of clean hits in hockey, headers in soccer, blocking by linemen...these are the leaders in brain damage. not fights. if you want to eliminate brain trauma, you eliminate sports - not a niche part of sports.


Isn't the NFL eliminating parts of their sport such as running backs not being allowed to lead with their helmets outside the tackle box and no one allowed to go near a receivers head?


Research has shown that repeated, low impact contact to the head is more dangerous than sporadic big hits. Linemen suffer a great deal.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,802
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby offsides on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:27 pm

shmenguin wrote:
offsides wrote:
shmenguin wrote:decades of clean hits in hockey, headers in soccer, blocking by linemen...these are the leaders in brain damage. not fights. if you want to eliminate brain trauma, you eliminate sports - not a niche part of sports.


Isn't the NFL eliminating parts of their sport such as running backs not being allowed to lead with their helmets outside the tackle box and no one allowed to go near a receivers head?


Research has shown that repeated, low impact contact to the head is more dangerous than sporadic big hits. Linemen suffer a great deal.


Linemen are still the ones taking all the head trauma while big hits are being taken out of the game. I agree and sure don't have any answer for the linemen.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,485
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby IMFC on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 am

Rylan wrote:
offsides wrote:
Rylan wrote:Best part about soccer is that people assume its safer when its dangerous in different ways. Makes me laugh.


Being someone who has never played and knows almost nothing about it, what are the main dangers of soccer?


Lower body injuries are high (knee and ankle especially. Can't name one person I played with that didn't have at least 1 significant injury to either). But, head injuries are also high when competing for aerial balls. Plus, rumor has it that repeatedly heading soccer balls is not very good for the brain either. But, soccer is far more physical than its perceived and parents' that want their kids to play soccer because its "safer" is rather comical.


It's true: around 1 in a hundred times when one of them hits the turf as if they were shot, writhing in total agony, they are indeed actually hurt.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby Rylan on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:04 am

IMFC wrote:
Rylan wrote:
offsides wrote:
Rylan wrote:Best part about soccer is that people assume its safer when its dangerous in different ways. Makes me laugh.


Being someone who has never played and knows almost nothing about it, what are the main dangers of soccer?


Lower body injuries are high (knee and ankle especially. Can't name one person I played with that didn't have at least 1 significant injury to either). But, head injuries are also high when competing for aerial balls. Plus, rumor has it that repeatedly heading soccer balls is not very good for the brain either. But, soccer is far more physical than its perceived and parents' that want their kids to play soccer because its "safer" is rather comical.


It's true: around 1 in a hundred times when one of them hits the turf as if they were shot, writhing in total agony, they are indeed actually hurt.


And that is exactly why people misinterpret the dangers of soccer.

As for the helmets, they won't happen because they are stigmatized by players and from what I was told by a teammate that he found it uncomfortable to play wearing it. (It was a scrum cap, which is what is usually used)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:17 am

Helmets in soccer would mean eliminating headers, thus completely altering the sport. Not gonna happen.

I guess the opionions are split on whether eliminating fighting would completely alter hockey.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,532
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 am

Eliminating fighting isn't going to help reduce the things that lead to most injuries. Stupid.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,231
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 am

Not much anyway.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,532
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 am

It would probably reduce bruised and cut hands and cheek bones.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,242
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:13 am

Yeah, this boohooing over fighting is lame.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,231
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Yzerman&Bowman favor fighting crack down

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:34 am

I think staged fights are lame and I wouldn't enjoy hockey any less if fighting were abolished, but I can't say I really mind it either. It's just one aspect of hockey that other people enjoy more than I do. So overall I'm undecided on the issue, because I don't care enough.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,532
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Next

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


e-mail