Lavi Out

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lavi Out

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:58 pm

Idk how you can say that when we have guys like Sidney Crosby on the team.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,936
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Lavi Out

Postby nocera on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:00 pm

2 games in? Is that a record? I remember Hlinka getting fired really early in a season also but I think he lasted at least 4 games.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,410
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 pm

darkstar57 wrote:I guess this means the flyers wont be calling time out in the first period after we go up 2-0 on them anymore


This.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,519
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:22 pm

One of the talking heads on ESPN said that Chip Kelly is now the longest tenured professional head coach in Philly. :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,519
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Lavi Out

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Jim wrote:Just watched the press conf and they were VERY defensive and dodged questions and beat around the bush...

Why has this team had more coaching changes in 20 years than any other team (11 in 20 years)? - Answered for the current change and countered the rest without answering. I actually thought that press guy was pretty ballsy because he kept pushing, asking if it was just consistant mistakes on managemnt etc etc. Nice!

(Not exact quote)
"The team has not won a Cup in 38 years, it is a good idea to bring in a new coach that is steeped in that tradition?"
"What tradition" - yep
"Not winning" - ZING!!!

I like this press crew!

Turns out the Islanders still have more coaches in the last 20 years - 15 (Lavy is on both lists)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:59 pm

the 11 coaches thing is what the reporter said... 11 is insane... 15 is pathetic.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,832
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Lavi Out

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:27 pm

nocera wrote:2 games in? Is that a record? I remember Hlinka getting fired really early in a season also but I think he lasted at least 4 games.


3 for the Flyers (and yes, 4 is the previous record, check out all of page 2 of this thread).
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,115
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Lavi Out

Postby suzinpgh on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:58 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:For anyone out there who doesn't understand the train wreck that's is Berube:

"Last season, Berube said had some outspoken comments about Penguins captain Sidney Crosby that fans should like. Here's what Berube had to say:

Let me tell you something, Crosby and Malkin are the two dirtiest players on their hockey team. They slash, they punch guys in the face. They do all these little things– I got no problem with what Schenn does. And if someone runs [Crosby] over– that’s great. They should run him over. This guy gets away with too much, in my opinion, whines to the refs all day and all night. It’s a joke. And the guy did something to Schenner a little bit earlier, so he just went at gave him a little shot. It wasn’t like it was a tough, bad cross-check. The guy dove. And I understand all that, they’re going to protect their guy, and they should."
Berube was a tough guy during his playing days racking up 3,149 penalty minutes, which is good enough to put him in the top 10 all time for penalty minutes for a career.

Berube also punched a referee during a fight on the ice during his career when he was trying to punch current Dallas Stars coach Lindy Ruff. "


Perhaps Berube can return the Flyers to their Broad Street Bullies days to go with his classy reputation as a player? /sarcasm/

The criticism of Sid as a whiner, crybaby, diver, etc is beyond old. Both he & Geno are past winners of the Ted Lindsay award, which goes to the most outstanding player in the NHL as voted on by members of the players' association. That would be their peers. Clearly, they do not share the same opinion as Berube.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Lavi Out

Postby nocera on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:59 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
nocera wrote:2 games in? Is that a record? I remember Hlinka getting fired really early in a season also but I think he lasted at least 4 games.


3 for the Flyers (and yes, 4 is the previous record, check out all of page 2 of this thread).



:face: My bad.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,410
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Re: Lavi Out

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:25 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:For anyone out there who doesn't understand the train wreck that's is Berube:

"Last season, Berube said had some outspoken comments about Penguins captain Sidney Crosby that fans should like. Here's what Berube had to say:

Let me tell you something, Crosby and Malkin are the two dirtiest players on their hockey team. They slash, they punch guys in the face. They do all these little things– I got no problem with what Schenn does. And if someone runs [Crosby] over– that’s great. They should run him over. This guy gets away with too much, in my opinion, whines to the refs all day and all night. It’s a joke. And the guy did something to Schenner a little bit earlier, so he just went at gave him a little shot. It wasn’t like it was a tough, bad cross-check. The guy dove. And I understand all that, they’re going to protect their guy, and they should."
Berube was a tough guy during his playing days racking up 3,149 penalty minutes, which is good enough to put him in the top 10 all time for penalty minutes for a career.

Berube also punched a referee during a fight on the ice during his career when he was trying to punch current Dallas Stars coach Lindy Ruff. "


Wow. Totally delusional. Probably took too many punches to the head.

Maybe they should scan his brain for damage, if they could find it on the X-ray.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:05 pm

When did he make that quote?
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,304
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Lavi Out

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Crankshaft wrote:When did he make that quote?

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/04/cr ... -over.html
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Lavi Out

Postby JS© on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:48 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
nocera wrote:2 games in? Is that a record? I remember Hlinka getting fired really early in a season also but I think he lasted at least 4 games.


3 for the Flyers (and yes, 4 is the previous record, check out all of page 2 of this thread).


Maurice Richard was coach of the Nordiques for 2 games during the 1972-73 season, but that was several years before the Nordiques joined the NHL.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,238
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:31 am

"The Chief"... So it is okay to call him "Chief" because he likes it I suppose? If he didn't like it, then and only then would it be racist?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,832
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Lavi Out

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:00 am

Not much if a wysh fan, but this is pretty good. In regards to the flyers being too insular in their hiring...

Sometimes you need a fresh voice to move the culture in a different direction, to bring new ideas to an organization short on them at the moment.

And sometimes you just hire Craig Berube, and then wait until you replace the general manager with your former goaltender.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,104
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:07 am

If Hextall were just brought in to be the GM immediately, i'd have considered that that might be a decent idea. By the time he's GM though, he'll have learned exactly what Holmgren is going for...perpetual "gonna get there eventually if we make major changes at least once per year".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,263
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Almost everyone in that organization is a former Flyers player. Can't change the culture when you do something like that. It's obvious Snider thinks that a culture change or any type of change isn't needed.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,137
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Lavi Out

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Jim wrote:Just watched the press conf and they were VERY defensive and dodged questions and beat around the bush...

Why has this team had more coaching changes in 20 years than any other team (11 in 20 years)? - Answered for the current change and countered the rest without answering. I actually thought that press guy was pretty ballsy because he kept pushing, asking if it was just consistant mistakes on managemnt etc etc. Nice!

(Not exact quote)
"The team has not won a Cup in 38 years, it is a good idea to bring in a new coach that is steeped in that tradition?"
"What tradition" - yep
"Not winning" - ZING!!!

I like this press crew!


I only saw a few minutes of the presser on NHL On-The-Fly. The Flyer ownership all had that deer-in-the-headlights look. :scared: And you're right - they were extremely defensive.

But what was fascinating to me was how the 4 guys doing the NHL show all closed ranks around the Flyers organization. Talk about denying reality. :face: Trying to remember, let's see Mike Jones, Kevin Weekes, Jamal somebody - they were really stretching to make the Flyers ownership and organization look like anything but the classless morons they are. It was so pathetic. :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Lavi Out

Postby PghSkins on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Almost everyone in that organization is a former Flyers player. Can't change the culture when you do something like that. It's obvious Snider thinks that a culture change or any type of change isn't needed.


That's an interesting observation, especially in light of none of the Pens FO (except Mario) being a former Penguins player. Heck out of the coaches only Guerin is a former Penguin (and Nasreddine if you want to go to that level).

The Flyers are a prime example of why inbreeding is bad.
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,635
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Hack Squad Holla

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Great58 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:53 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Jim wrote:Just watched the press conf and they were VERY defensive and dodged questions and beat around the bush...

Why has this team had more coaching changes in 20 years than any other team (11 in 20 years)? - Answered for the current change and countered the rest without answering. I actually thought that press guy was pretty ballsy because he kept pushing, asking if it was just consistant mistakes on managemnt etc etc. Nice!

(Not exact quote)
"The team has not won a Cup in 38 years, it is a good idea to bring in a new coach that is steeped in that tradition?"
"What tradition" - yep
"Not winning" - ZING!!!

I like this press crew!


I only saw a few minutes of the presser on NHL On-The-Fly. The Flyer ownership all had that deer-in-the-headlights look. :scared: And you're right - they were extremely defensive.

But what was fascinating to me was how the 4 guys doing the NHL show all closed ranks around the Flyers organization. Talk about denying reality. :face: Trying to remember, let's see Mike Jones, Kevin Weekes, Jamal somebody - they were really stretching to make the Flyers ownership and organization look like anything but the classless morons they are. It was so pathetic. :lol:

Jamal Mayers
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,438
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Lavi Out

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:19 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:I only saw a few minutes of the presser on NHL On-The-Fly.


You might have caught all of it then, it was short. That was impressive how it was able to get that awkward in such a short press conference.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,263
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Lavi Out

Postby largegarlic on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:15 pm

LeBrun mentions in this article that he's optimistic about the Berube hire: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27037/rumblings-international-play-shootout-spins-and-goalie-police

His reasons: he has quotes from John Stevens and Steve Downie (and no one else) saying that Berube is a good coach. With endorsements like these, Berube is sure to be successful.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,461
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: Lavi Out

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:I only saw a few minutes of the presser on NHL On-The-Fly.


You might have caught all of it then, it was short. That was impressive how it was able to get that awkward in such a short press conference.


Holy mackeral! If that's true, then someone in the Philly press core has some guts and actually asked a tough question or two. I'm sure they will be banned from the Flyer locker room for that.

I think we should all be VERY grateful that Penguins management has its head on straight, especially compared to this bunch of cement-heads. :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Lavi Out

Postby pcm on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 pm

What's amazing is that Holmgrem was a fresh voice in his first year or two. In fact, he did a fantastic job for them. But once he got assimilated into the culture, he ended up repeating that organization's same mistakes.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Previous

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

e-mail