So

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

So

Postby MarioLives on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Was this a failure for team USA or do you think they did ok? To not medal is a huge disappointment to me, but what do you think?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: So

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 pm

I was in the verizon center tonight.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,260
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: So

Postby Shakes on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:54 am

MarioLives wrote:Was this a failure for team USA or do you think they did ok? To not medal is a huge disappointment to me, but what do you think?


Losing to Canada was disappointing but not surprising. I didn't really care about the bronze, and it looked like the team didn't either.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,903
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: So

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 am

I'm going to push this version of the thread, as I think it offers more based on the verizon center comment.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,693
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: So

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Any of you guys ever experience deja vu?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,316
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: So

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Canada/USA was the gold medal game in theory. US was the hottest team in the tourney and Canada was the most skilled. Obviously it's a failure if you don't win...the only team that succeeds by not winning are the Colts two years ago when they got Andrew Luck in the draft.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,583
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: So

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:49 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Canada/USA was the gold medal game in theory. US was the hottest team in the tourney and Canada was the most skilled. Obviously it's a failure if you don't win...the only team that succeeds by not winning are the Colts two years ago when they got Andrew Luck in the draft.


Losing works out pretty well for the Penguins. in the past 30 years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,260
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: So

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Not earning a medal is a massive failure for a country that went to OT to almost win gold in the last olympics.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: So

Postby skullman80 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Not earning a medal is a massive failure for a country that went to OT to almost win gold in the last olympics.


This. Failure and embarassing.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,375
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: So

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I was in the verizon center tonight.


lolsmiley.org
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,075
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: So

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 am

Image
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,999
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: HEY, MJ, BAG SKATE 'EM!

Re: So

Postby BigMcK on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:29 am

So. so. So, the wife says to me that she heard the wives and players of the USA hockey team were adopting dogs to fly with the team back to our Country to enjoy a better life. Wow, this is hard to wrap my head around.

First, you go and represent your Country. You beat out others that never had a chance to compete for the chance. You were selected to win because the staff hired to bring a winning team looks at your NHL (professional) stats.

Second, you bring along distractions. When I business travel, the wife goes so very, very rarely. I am being paid to do a job and a distraction of someone not on the payroll is a distraction. She wants a softer pillow, more heat, a new hand towel,,,, you are now distracted.

Third, the game plan fell apart. Penguins coach was the face of the team. He has now been tested at all levels of playoff winning. Will be known as the coach that never landed a metal as of 2014.

Fourth, adopt a dog. God knows there are many in need of a good home with loving members to greet them. With all that was going on in Russia, dogs don't care who won. The family that they befriend wins.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Are you there, yet?

Re: So

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:44 am

This thread has the potential to be better than KtKTOR.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,316
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: So

Postby BigMcK on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:52 am

Did KtK adopt a Russian dog? It's all about the dogs.

Image
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Are you there, yet?

Re: So

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:14 am

Not sure if serious
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,393
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: So

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:39 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Not sure if serious


same here. I'm not sure what to say since I'm not sure if this "families visiting and dog outrage" is serious.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,399
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: So

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:45 am

At least Team USA didn't trash any hotel rooms this time.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,316
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: So

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:04 am

Tico Rick wrote:At least Team USA didn't trash any hotel rooms this time.


Could you tell if they did?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,295
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: So

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 am

Image
Just so.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,755
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: So

Postby Penspal on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 am

In my opinion, you don't have to look further than Patrick Kane in the Bronze Medal game. PK had TWO penalty shots and could not convert on either, then decided that all things penalty were his, so he went out and got TWO penalties.

As for Team USA prior loss, they met the best defensive teams in Olympic history in Canada (best ever with only 3 goals allowed). Yeah, they lost, but with a little luck, they could have won.

They were close, its a one game elimination, not time to blow up the system, although I'm sure the media will report it as so, and knuckle heads will believe it.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,503
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: So

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 am

Penspal wrote:In my opinion, you don't have to look further than Patrick Kane in the Bronze Medal game. PK had TWO penalty shots and could not convert on either, then decided that all things penalty were his, so he went out and got TWO penalties.

As for Team USA prior loss, they met the best defensive teams in Olympic history in Canada (best ever with only 3 goals allowed). Yeah, they lost, but with a little luck, they could have won.

They were close, its a one game elimination, not time to blow up the system, although I'm sure the media will report it as so, and knuckle heads will believe it.


Kaner was clearly distracted by his grandfather's death. nothing Shero could do about that. naturally Kane wanted to play but he was trying way too hard once the elimination rounds started.

kudos to Team Canada for implementing a system with the proper players which practically guaranteed victory. in retrospect all of the players chosen and more tellingly, the players NOT chosen make perfect sense now. you don't need or want Letang, Giroux and Neal to play the system that Canada implemented.
I just hope that in S. Korea IF the NHL plays that not too many countries play this way otherwise it's going to make for boring Olympic hockey.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,399
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: So

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:34 pm

BigMcK wrote:Second, you bring along distractions. When I business travel, the wife goes so very, very rarely. I am being paid to do a job and a distraction of someone not on the payroll is a distraction. She wants a softer pillow, more heat, a new hand towel,,,, you are now distracted.

I know right? The broadcast of the Games is pretty completely littered with shots of the athletes in other sports not talking to their families in the crowd, not climbing the rail into the spectator gallery to hug their husband after winning gold....

:wink:

When you travel for business, is it to compete in the quadrennial Olympics in front of a global audience for the chance to be immortalized in the annals of your professoin? Good god, if I got selected, I'd want my wife, my mom, my cousin, my best friend....... crikey, forget all the stray dogs; I'd probably want to find a way to bring my beagles, too. Might even bring the cat.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,448
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: So

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:21 pm

The whole adopting stray dog bull was just that -- bullcrap! Why are these players being called heroes for that? There are thousands of in need animals here in the States that looking for good homes! What makes Russian stray dogs so special? Oh, that's right, you'll get your name in the media and gain more mindless followers on Twitter!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,713
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: So

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Pitts wrote:The whole adopting stray dog bull was just that -- bullcrap! Why are these players being called heroes for that? There are thousands of in need animals here in the States that looking for good homes! What makes Russian stray dogs so special? Oh, that's right, you'll get your name in the media and gain more mindless followers on Twitter!


canttellifserious.jpg
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,295
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: So

Postby meow on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:25 pm

Screw those commie pinko dogs. There are 'Merican dogs that need a saving.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,568
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


e-mail