GM meetings in FLA.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

GM meetings in FLA.

Postby no name on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:35 am

I was watching the nhl channel and they talked to the GMs about possible rule changes. Of course OT was brought up again and i get the sence nothing will change. They said one idea was changing the sides of ice to make the line changes longer... It seems these meetings are a waste. With every possiblle way to make minute changes will not add scoing to overtime. Its like a screw that is a inch out of place and all they ever do is make a quarter turn trying to get it in. If they want more games to end with a OT goal, shave the ice, change sides, make OT 10 minutes and call penalties like they do during the regulation.

Changing sides wont matter though. Coaches will end up making their players dump the puck in and make the line change so it will be a back and forth dumpfest when line changes are made.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,935
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby KG on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:41 am

I like the idea of increasing OT to 10 minutes and doing 5 minutes 4/4 and 5 minutes 3/3....I don't like the 3 point idea for a regulation win either.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby dodint on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13 am

I wish the benches were on opposite sides of the ice so the line change thing would be moot entirely, and each team would be centered on the redline and wouldn't get caught up in each others line changes. Put team As penalty box on Team Bs side of the ice and you're set. Patrick Roy will just have to yell louder.

Realistically, I hope more stuff is eligible for instant replay. They complain it slows down the game, but other than that debacle against Florida at Consol this year it hasn't been bad. When pucks are flying in from the netting and counting as goals, and it isn't reviewable, the system is imperfect.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,893
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: 975.6

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 am

I think longer OT had a better chance before last weekend's 7OT tie in Ohio high school hockey. that incident pretty much cemented that the only way to have no ties in the regular season (because realistically we can't have regular season NHL games lasting until 3:00 AM) is to have the shootout.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,364
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby meow on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 am

The three items I heard being discussed about altering overtime are removing icing calls, having the long change and either a 8 or 10 minute 4-on-4 before the shootout.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,011
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 am

Removing icing calls? They'd just dump the puck the full length of the ice and survive until the shootout.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,636
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:43 am

the only goal of any OT rule changes should be: AVOID THE SHOOTOUT

the 5v5 is already soiled, since you see teams just mail it in for a big chunk of it and wait to see if they'll win a coin toss. so just do 5 minutes of 3v3 and then a shootout if it's tied.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,379
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:24 am

shmenguin wrote:the only goal of any OT rule changes should be: AVOID THE SHOOTOUT

the 5v5 is already soiled, since you see teams just mail it in for a big chunk of it and wait to see if they'll win a coin toss. so just do 5 minutes of 3v3 and then a shootout if it's tied.


I think shootouts are just going to have to be a fact of life in the NHL to avoid ties. our local Over35 league used to do 3 minutes of 3v3 for the overtime. this worked for a long time, almost always producing a winner. after awhile though guys got too defensive and weren't taking the offensive chances that they used to and we were back to ending games in a tie. I do feel however that the best way to fix that is to take away any points for ties.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,364
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby dodint on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 am

Removing the goalies after X minutes of OT is radical but it would cure the shootout completely. Make it that all shots must come from within the blueline and it'll still be interesting enough.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,893
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: 975.6

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby MarioLives on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I never had a problem with a tie. Rewarding a team on a skills competition is not good. Make them play 10 minutes of OT and if it ends in a tie, so be it.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby pcm on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Why does everyone hate shootouts? Is it because they're used to award points in the standings? Or is it actually not something you enjoy watching?

If the former, the answer is simple. Make them worth less. Go to 3 point games.

If the latter, then you must be crazy.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,081
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 pm

8 Min OT 4 on 4

Give each team a 4 on 3 PP for 2:00 at the end if still tied. Most goals win, if still tied, so be it, game ends in a tie.

3 points for Regulation win, 2 points for OT Win 1 point for a tie. zero points for losing.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,737
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 pm

I've always been in favor of 3 points for a win, etc. To me it just makes the most sense mathematically.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,636
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 pm

pcm wrote:Why does everyone hate shootouts? Is it because they're used to award points in the standings? Or is it actually not something you enjoy watching?

If the former, the answer is simple. Make them worth less. Go to 3 point games.

If the latter, then you must be crazy.


people hate shootouts because they think it's not "real hockey". I disagree and will tell that that in our previously mentioned Over35 league that did 3v3 for OT, we changed it eventually to 4v4 because the guys complained that it wasn't "real hockey".
if I wanted to watch 2 teams end in a low scoring tie I'd watch soccer.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,364
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:06 pm

I don't think the people that want to get rid of shootouts and the people who want to go to 3 v 3 are the same people for the most part. You're leaving out a pretty good sized portion of the population that wants ties.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,559
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:12 pm

I like the system as is.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,684
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:36 pm

I hate ties.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,670
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby dodint on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:50 pm

I'd like the shootouts to be more fluid and dynamic. Every shooter is like the beginning of The Mighty Ducks. In my scenario:

Team A lines their players up single file at their defensive blue line, at the far boards.
Team B lines their players up single file at their defensive blue line, at the near boards.
Player A1 takes off and picks up a puck staged midway between the boards and the center face off dot, on the redline. Player A1 goes in on goal and shoots.
Player B1 is triggered by A1s shot, takes off and grabs his own puck. A1 is returning to center ice along the boards, stops after just crossing the redline and rests near the boards.
Player B1 is shooting, triggers A2s departure.
Cycle through the first 5 shooters. If it's still a tie, pick 5 more shooters. The first 5 are still eligible to be picked for a second volley.

It would make for a dynamic, non-stop conclusion to a dynamic game and would be awesome for the TV audience and the crowd.

This isn't that different than the line rushes at the AHL All-Star game, except you have it happening on both sides of the ice.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,893
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: 975.6

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby no name on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:05 pm

GO badk to 5 minutes of 5 on 5, goalies only get glove blocker helmet and their cup while wearing a "blueman suit" with their team logo on it. or while they resurface the ice goalies must change their pads to the old mylec pads one standard size for all goalies.

Image

If you don't like that idea just change the net to this. To be honest this is about how extreem you would have to go to get the results the NHL wants. End more games in OT just switch the nets nothing else and you got real hockey with mega nets so the game ends.
Image
Image
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,935
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Not necessarily bubble nets but just slightly increase the net size would be a big deal. If the cage were opened up to say 4.5' x 7', it gives the shooters 7.5 square feet more to shoot at that the goalie now has to cover. The shooters will have more area to shoot from at tight angles. Goalies will have to relearn angle play otherwise they give up more open area, and it doesn't take much for shooters at this level.
Pruezy11881
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:09 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby Great58 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:40 pm

I would like bigger nets. Promotes the skill players of the league, both shooters and athletic goalies.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,581
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:44 pm

You can make the current nets "bigger" by limiting the size of goalie chest and shoulder pads

*cough* Craig Anderson *cough*

You could also increase scoring by actually calling penalties, instead of picking and choosing when to enforce the rulebook.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,670
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby Great58 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:55 pm

MRandall25 wrote:You can make the current nets "bigger" by limiting the size of goalie chest and shoulder pads

*cough* Craig Anderson *cough*

You could also increase scoring by actually calling penalties, instead of picking and choosing when to enforce the rulebook.

Goalies will pitch a fit over player safety if you try to further reduce their pads. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that there would be strong opposition to overcome. And the NHL has proven it can't enforce the rulebook as it's written on any consistent basis. It can't get out of it's own way when it comes to highlighting the games best players.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,581
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby pcm on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

shoeshine boy wrote:
pcm wrote:Why does everyone hate shootouts? Is it because they're used to award points in the standings? Or is it actually not something you enjoy watching?

If the former, the answer is simple. Make them worth less. Go to 3 point games.

If the latter, then you must be crazy.


people hate shootouts because they think it's not "real hockey". I disagree and will tell that that in our previously mentioned Over35 league that did 3v3 for OT, we changed it eventually to 4v4 because the guys complained that it wasn't "real hockey".
if I wanted to watch 2 teams end in a low scoring tie I'd watch soccer.


Penalty shots are part of the game. They certainly count as "real hockey." Shootouts are as much "real hockey" as 4 on 4 (which also happens in "real hockey.")
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,081
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Postby Great58 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:09 pm

pcm wrote:Penalty shots are part of the game. They certainly count as "real hockey." Shootouts are as much "real hockey" as 4 on 4 (which also happens in "real hockey.")

I'm more opposed to 3 vs. 3 as an OT format than penalty shots when considering "real hockey".
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,581
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Next

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

e-mail