Ryan Malone arrested on DUI/Possession charges

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ryan Malone arrested on DUI/Possession charges

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:24 am

shoeshine boy wrote:wow. what an idiot. I've never understood how professional athletes can get mixed up with cocaine. you'd think they'd want to keep crap like that out of their bodies

I think you're greatly overestimating the number of athletes who take care of their bodies to the degree that guys like Crosby do. A lot of these younger superstar millionaires are known party boys (Carter/Richards/Kane/Phaneuf/Seguin/Marchand/etc.) and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear they all have experimented with drugs at some point. They are basically millionaires who were deprived of that kind of college lifestyle. Now older guys like Malone I think would know better by now...
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:47 am

Blood alcohol level aside, he was affected enough by whatever he was on that he lost control of his vehicle. That's worse than making a personal choice to do coke. I would never touch the stuff, but I generally don't care what other people do, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:11 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:wow. what an idiot. I've never understood how professional athletes can get mixed up with cocaine. you'd think they'd want to keep crap like that out of their bodies

I think you're greatly overestimating the number of athletes who take care of their bodies to the degree that guys like Crosby do. A lot of these younger superstar millionaires are known party boys (Carter/Richards/Kane/Phaneuf/Seguin/Marchand/etc.) and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear they all have experimented with drugs at some point. They are basically millionaires who were deprived of that kind of college lifestyle. Now older guys like Malone I think would know better by now...

Yeah, when you're young and told you're gonna be a star from a young age, it's natural to feel invincible and try anything. I was glad the young Pens that recently came through in their college years (Sid, Letang, Geno, MAF, Staal, etc.) didn't go too crazy and stayed out of trouble, aside from the Staal incident.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:12 am

Doesnt consol energy center have a coke problem? Lets not judge too harshly.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:25 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Weren't Wade Redden and another Sens player rumored to have coke issues during their time in Ottawa.

I'm not sure if "issues" is the word - meaning that it would have directly affected their job performance - but there are some Ottawa players and other young players at the time that would ride the white pony when out and about...I don't think it's terribly necessary to name names and with that in mind, I don't recall Wade Redden's name being associated with that necessarily...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:37 am

It's not necessary for me to name names either...but mike richards.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:

I didn't say I was surprised I just said I don't understand how they can do it in the "prime" of their careers though. admittedly I've never done cocaine in my life so I can't really comment about it. if it's true that he's going through a divorce that could easily explain his idiocy whether he's using cocaine because he's getting a divorce or he's getting a divorce because of his cocaine use. I've been there with the latter. my girlfriend in my early 20's was a crack and cocaine user (and manic depressive) and I had no idea any of the hard-core drug use was going on until after we split up. I knew she was messed up and couldn't help her any longer I just didn't know exactly why.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Madden claims that Malone passed a drug test.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:43 pm

columbia wrote:Madden claims that Malone passed a drug test.

for his sake, sure hope that is true.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 pm

So what does that mean? Just that he had not had a chance to use it yet? I mean I doubt he was holding it for someone else.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:53 pm

I don't really care if he's occasionally taken cocaine, it's the DUI part that bothers me.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:58 pm

MarioLives wrote:So what does that mean? Just that he had not had a chance to use it yet? I mean I doubt he was holding it for someone else.

For an addict, cocaine can be detectable up to 12 weeks, for the occasional user, 1-3 days. So if he had none in whatever test he did, at least he isn't an addict yet. So maybe he can use this to turn himself around or something. His NHL days are probably over at this point though.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Not to be flippant, but he would be a lot thinner, if he were a regular cocaine user.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 pm

I don't think anyone should be doing cocaine. But I don't think that everyone who's doing it is on the brink of some downward spiral and is in desperate need of an intervention. I don't know where Malone falls on the spectrum, but I wouldn't rush to characterize him as some crazed addict.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm

She dont lie she dont lie she dont lie.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 pm

Gaucho wrote:I don't really care if he's occasionally taken cocaine, it's the DUI part that bothers me.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Gaucho wrote:I don't really care if he's occasionally taken cocaine, it's the DUI part that bothers me.

Yep ditto.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:08 am

Seems like he's been going through a tough period in his life.

Malone, whose Suburban was impounded, also has seven traffic violations since June, including ones for speeding, failing to stop at a traffic signal and driving without proof of insurance. Tuesday he was cited for driving with a suspended license; he has an April 30 court date for that.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:54 am

3rd degree Felony possession charge, plus a 2nd degree Misdemeanor DUI charge. First offense? He was nor looking to sell or distribute. Holding an ounce of personal use. 240 hours community service, counseling for drugs, time served, $10k in fines. Meets the legal portion.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:04 am

BigMcK wrote:3rd degree Felony possession charge, plus a 2nd degree Misdemeanor DUI charge. First offense? He was nor looking to sell or distribute. Holding an ounce of personal use. 240 hours community service, counseling for drugs, time served, $10k in fines. Meets the legal portion.

Yeah, sadly I think the legal portion may be the least of his concerns right now.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:10 am

Great58 wrote:Seems like he's been going through a tough period in his life.

Malone, whose Suburban was impounded, also has seven traffic violations since June, including ones for speeding, failing to stop at a traffic signal and driving without proof of insurance. Tuesday he was cited for driving with a suspended license; he has an April 30 court date for that.

driving without proof of insurance is still a ticket-able offense? seems ridiculous with the technology at our disposable nowadays.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 am

Great58 wrote:Seems like he's been going through a tough period in his life.

the horror
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 am

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

it's a gateway to parking tickets, apparently
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 am

lol
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NPR