Rory Fitzpatrick is...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rory Fitzpatrick is...

Postby careyz8 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:51 pm

...2nd in Western Conference voting as a write-in vote. Damn

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189124&hubname=nhl
careyz8
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:48 pm

I don't like it. Fans just being silly, making a joke of it all. Although I am not a fan of all star games. The last thing the NHL needs is having Rory Fitzpatrick come skate out on national tv and be a starter of the all star game...I just voted 3 times for Lidstrom/Pronger/Neidermayer...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Originally, I think the people behind this said they were unhappy with the flawed voting system because the big markets have more fans, so they can just vote their players in, whether they deserve it or not. Of course, that's not even close to what's happening. Instead, they're exposing the flaw that a bunch of idiots can get together to vote in someone completely undeserving. All this kind of crap is going to do is force the NHL to take away the fans' right to vote. I couldn't care less because I'd rather see the most deserving players in the game rather than who the fans want, but I know a lot of fans do like this.

I really hope that if Fitzpatrick gets voted in, he has the pride and respect for the game to decline the invitation.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:38 am

Henry Hank wrote:Originally, I think the people behind this said they were unhappy with the flawed voting system because the big markets have more fans, so they can just vote their players in, whether they deserve it or not. Of course, that's not even close to what's happening. Instead, they're exposing the flaw that a bunch of idiots can get together to vote in someone completely undeserving. All this kind of crap is going to do is force the NHL to take away the fans' right to vote. I couldn't care less because I'd rather see the most deserving players in the game rather than who the fans want, but I know a lot of fans do like this.

I really hope that if Fitzpatrick gets voted in, he has the pride and respect for the game to decline the invitation.

They're proving the flaws of the voting system. And in a funny way I might add =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Brode on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:57 am

Henry Hank wrote:Originally, I think the people behind this said they were unhappy with the flawed voting system because the big markets have more fans, so they can just vote their players in, whether they deserve it or not. Of course, that's not even close to what's happening. Instead, they're exposing the flaw that a bunch of idiots can get together to vote in someone completely undeserving. All this kind of crap is going to do is force the NHL to take away the fans' right to vote. I couldn't care less because I'd rather see the most deserving players in the game rather than who the fans want, but I know a lot of fans do like this.

There is no pride in the All-Star game. Players have given 'washing their hair' as an excuse for skipping the All-Star game. Don't expect Rory to give an "if elected, I will not serve" speech.
Brode

Postby kevthekid17 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:06 am

i, for one, think this is hilarious. Just pointing out the flaws of the system. i actually hope he gets in and starts. :D
kevthekid17

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:21 am

This needs to be done for the baseball all-star game, which is even more flawed then the NHL's.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:59 am

Jose Castillo or bust, baby!!!!!!!!! :lol:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:14 pm

Well, that's the flaw with any type of system like this. I don't know what they think they're going to prove when abuse of this system can only lead to the league either taking away fan voting rights or reducing them. Yeah, they'd really be accomplishing something there.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:23 pm

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tjand72 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:05 pm

See, even Gretzky thinks this is a bad idea. Although, he thought coaching was a good idea too.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes ... b1222.html

"I think from his point of view, it's great," Gretzky said. "From what the All-Star Game is about, it's 100 percent wrong."

"But if he thinks he deserves to be in the All-Star Game, then good for him, he should go. If he doesn't believe he should be in the All-Star Game, he should stand up and say, 'You know what, there's other guys that deserve to be there."

True, and true.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NPR