Crazy night in the NHL....

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crazy night in the NHL....

Postby Jesse on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:33 am

First, in LA/Calgary.

An NHL rule I haven't seen implemented in ages showed up tonight.

LA was down to Calgary 4-2 late in the third. Crawford pulled the goalie. Huselius was sprung from a breakaway when he was hooked from behind. It's an automatic goal. I forgot all about that rule and this is the first time in recent memory I can remember it being used. So, Huselius get's a PS GWG in a instance when he didnt even shoot! :)

Then, in Minnesota, Columbus fans are ready to kill someone. If you go to www.wild.com and watch "now playing", you can see the overtime highlights.

Basically, Wes Walz drives to the net, Jason Chimera checks him. As this happens, an outlet pass from the corner finds it's way into Walz' pants as he's falling into the net. The call on the Ice was no goal. But, after a Toronto review, they overturned the call on the ice and called it a goal.

The question is.... well, I'm not even sure what to ask. You cannot see the puck. It is in Walz' pants. So I guess I could see the frustration.

Either way, some interesting stuff tonight!

Best sport on earth, if you ask me.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Crazy night in the NHL....

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:54 am

Jesse wrote:First, in LA/Calgary.

An NHL rule I haven't seen implemented in ages showed up tonight.

LA was down to Calgary 4-2 late in the third. Crawford pulled the goalie. Huselius was sprung from a breakaway when he was hooked from behind. It's an automatic goal. I forgot all about that rule and this is the first time in recent memory I can remember it being used. So, Huselius get's a PS GWG in a instance when he didnt even shoot! :)

Then, in Minnesota, Columbus fans are ready to kill someone. If you go to www.wild.com and watch "now playing", you can see the overtime highlights.

Basically, Wes Walz drives to the net, Jason Chimera checks him. As this happens, an outlet pass from the corner finds it's way into Walz' pants as he's falling into the net. The call on the Ice was no goal. But, after a Toronto review, they overturned the call on the ice and called it a goal.

The question is.... well, I'm not even sure what to ask. You cannot see the puck. It is in Walz' pants. So I guess I could see the frustration.

Either way, some interesting stuff tonight!

Best sport on earth, if you ask me.

That Wild play was amazing. I really do encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it, and all the replays. It took about 10 replays in super slow motion before they could even figure out what happened to the puck. You can see the puck going toward him in the crease, then it just disappears as he is checked into the net. It wasn't in the net. It wasn't in the crease. It was just gone. Finally, they showed a super slo-mo replay where you could see it go up under his breezers just as he was being pushed across the goal line. My guess is there is no rule in the rule book for this and they just made something up. They could have called it either way and been right, probably. They could have called no goal because the puck was technically frozen before it went in. But I guess the refs never blew the whistle, as he was too busy making a penalty call for interference. I think they made the right call though, as the puck would have gone in had it not disappeared under his breezers.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:46 am

Very bizarre play... I agree that it could have gone either way, but the more I watched it, the more it seemed to be the right call.

After all, if the Jackets player hadn't checked the guy INTO THE NET, the play would have been blown dead because the puck disappeared.

I would hate to lose a game on a freak play like that, but there's not much you can do.

Reminds me in a way of one of the goals Edmonton scored in Game 6 vs Detroit last year... the puck came up and was lying against the Oiler's jersey and he was checked in the back, propelling the puck into the goal.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NPR