Official Gameday Thread - Pens @ Canes - 11-11-06

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:40 pm

Did Gonchar even know Thibault was pulled? When he moved over, it looked like he was trying to keep the Cane in front of him instead of challenging the shot.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:40 pm

Stoosh wrote:Oy...

Chad Larose...

6-2 Canes.

Pfft. Like it matters...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Peter on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:40 pm

was there apost game press conference last night? What did MT say?
Peter

Postby dagny on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:40 pm

This will be a big character builder for the team. The lack of discipline is KILLING ME. I can accept a loss, even a blowout, if the team at least tried to stay in the game.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jmh470 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 pm

I can't believe Leclair is the extra attacker. I can't believe Moore is getting PP time over Staal. The list of reasons why I dislike Therrien grows each game.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guins on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Peter wrote:was there apost game press conference last night? What did MT say?
He said no one showed up the only one who did was Cairns & he questioned their heart some such **** :roll:
Guins

Postby skullman80 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

NIN wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
NIN wrote:
Peter wrote:boo boo refs refs victims victims.

I'm with you, the pens are doing this to themselves, why would you make excuses for them when they have done this for FOUR GAMES IN A ROW!!!

So it;s been the refs for FOUR GAMES IN A ROW? Get a clue poeple!

This teams idea of stepping it up a notch vs. better teams is not to skate harder and play smarter; it's to take unneccessary penalties, time after time. Colby got hit. He punched Cole in his head twice and then slipped on a stick. How is that the refs fault?

FOUR GAMES IN A ROW. All good teams, all faster teams, lazy undisciplined penalties in each and every game. Write a letter too yourself, wipe your tears with it, and give yourself the Vulcan grip until you pass out.

Shouldn't you be on the Wild messageboard by now?

"waaaaaaa you don't like the Pens because you hold them accountable for their undisciplined play waaaaaaaaaaaa"

Oh they have been undisciplined. No doubt. They have been playing like crap the last few games too, no doubt.

That being said that terrible no goal call changed the momentum bigtime in this game. You go from crawling your way back to 3-3 in the 3rd, to having it a no goal, and then getting scored upon a few minutes later.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:43 pm

This will be a big character builder for the team. The lack of discipline is KILLING ME. I can accept a loss, even a blowout, if the team at least tried to stay in the game.

Agreed, Dagny. They get to respond against Philly, so that should make Monday night very interesting.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Peter on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Is there a press conference tonight that you can listen to?
Peter

Postby booboo on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:45 pm

dagny wrote:This will be a big character builder for the team. The lack of discipline is KILLING ME. I can accept a loss, even a blowout, if the team at least tried to stay in the game.

I do not know what Therrien has to show for this and yesterday's game.
He was presented with a load of talent and he just wasted it in a continuous line shuffling.
I liked what Lange has just said: It was a practice for Carolina, almost
all night. It is time for the GM to step up and have a few talks with
people. We need some D. We need a winger. We need #87 to do something
useful for a change.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:45 pm

dagny wrote:This will be a big character builder for the team. The lack of discipline is KILLING ME. I can accept a loss, even a blowout, if the team at least tried to stay in the game.

Penalty trouble is a lack of discipline and that reflects directly on the coach. This has been an issue far too often this year, even in some of the wins. Therrien should lose his job over this game, but if it continues, someone needs to be held accountable for it.

Everyone believed Therrien to be on a short leash to begin with, but I don't know if that's true. If Ken Sawyer insisted Therrien be retained, then who's to say Sawyer would allow Shero to fire him as early as he might want to?
Last edited by netwolf on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:46 pm

skullman80 wrote:That being said that terrible no goal call changed the momentum bigtime in this game. You go from crawling your way back to 3-3 in the 3rd, to having it a no goal, and then getting scored upon a few minutes later.

And lets not forget, that goal the Canes scored was on a power play that SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED. The goal should have counted, and the clock should have been returned to the time the goal scored and there would have been no penalty.

But thats in a world where the game is called on a level playing field and everybody gets a fair shake, and there's sunshine and lollipops for everyone.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:46 pm

booboo wrote:We need #87 to do something
useful for a change.

Saturday Nov 11, 2006 9:45 pm. The moment the first Pens fan turned on Sidney Crosby.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:47 pm

skullman80 wrote:
NIN wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
NIN wrote:

I'm with you, the pens are doing this to themselves, why would you make excuses for them when they have done this for FOUR GAMES IN A ROW!!!

This teams idea of stepping it up a notch vs. better teams is not to skate harder and play smarter; it's to take unneccessary penalties, time after time. Colby got hit. He punched Cole in his head twice and then slipped on a stick. How is that the refs fault?

FOUR GAMES IN A ROW. All good teams, all faster teams, lazy undisciplined penalties in each and every game. Write a letter too yourself, wipe your tears with it, and give yourself the Vulcan grip until you pass out.

Shouldn't you be on the Wild messageboard by now?

"waaaaaaa you don't like the Pens because you hold them accountable for their undisciplined play waaaaaaaaaaaa"

Oh they have been undisciplined. No doubt. They have been playing like crap the last few games too, no doubt.

That being said that terrible no goal call changed the momentum bigtime in this game. You go from crawling your way back to 3-3 in the 3rd, to having it a no goal, and then getting scored upon a few minutes later.

This is true, maybe if Moore was more focused on finishing off loose pucks and less concerned with sticking his stick where he can get called for a Hookin call every game we would have gotten another point or two.

It has to be addressed. These guys are young, but they have to know better than that.
NIN

Postby Guido on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:47 pm

Improving this team is not hard.

AS CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTED, THEY SHOULD CONTEND FOR THE DIVISION LEAD (since this division is awful) AND THEY COULD EVEN SNEAK INTO THE 7TH OR 8TH SPOT.

LeClair has to go, bottom line, that's it.
Melichar or Scuderi, one must be gone.
Therrien HAS GOT TO QUIT juggling the lines. Stick with a combination and let them develop chemistry.

The holes on this team can easily be filled by trading a combination of AHL prospects or Malone. It doesn't take much to get another dman of Eaton's calibre...especially if a team is looking for some young scoring prospects.

As much as the Pens may have deserved to lose this game, the referees took it upon themselves to make the game a blowout. It p***** me off so badly to watch a game like that.

If I want to watch a sport that stops every 30 seconds, I'll watch basketball.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saveourpens on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:47 pm

I don't know how you could have the penalties so tilted in the favor one team, including five on 5-3's, in a fairly officiated game. The game was handed to the Canes on a silver platter with all the penalties and a disallowed Pens goal. **** this game. **** this game to hell. **** everyone associated with it.

A goal that Ekman should've had = 3-3, Pens have all the momentum

Toronto **** taking it away = Canes PP, all momentum gone.
Last edited by saveourpens on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guins on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:48 pm

netwolf wrote:

Penalty trouble is a lack of discipline and that reflects directly on the coach. This has been an issue far too often this year, even in some of the wins. Therrien should lose his job over this game, but if it continues, someone needs to be held accountable for it.

Everyone believed Therrien to be on a short leash to begin with, but I don't know if that's true. If Ken Sawyer insisted Therrien be retained, then who's to say Sawyer would Shero to fire him.
Because the team is sold & the talk is Balsillie wants Colin Campbell to be his CEO. He is performing for his new boss
Guins

Postby booboo on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Three Stars wrote:
booboo wrote:We need #87 to do something
useful for a change.

Saturday Nov 11, 2006 9:45 pm. The moment the first Pens fan turned on Sidney Crosby.

Nonsense. I love the kid. He just needs to be put in a position to produce.
I doubt he is, even if he grinds like crazy (and he did, especially in the second period tonight).
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:51 pm

Guins wrote:
netwolf wrote:

Everyone believed Therrien to be on a short leash to begin with, but I don't know if that's true. If Ken Sawyer insisted Therrien be retained, then who's to say Sawyer would Shero to fire him.
Because the team is sold & the talk is Balsillie wants Colin Campbell to be his CEO. He is performing for his new boss

The coaching STAFF (<---do not forget that it is a collective effort) is certainly not off the hook (bad pun) but it isn't like he can wave a magic wand and make the team older and more disciplined and who are the veteren leaders on this team? LeClair and Recchi? What do they know about avoiding bad penalties?
NIN

Postby Peter on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:57 pm

hey cool recchi scored tonight! :D :) :o 8-) :wink:
Peter

Postby saveourpens on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:59 pm

NIN wrote:

We are **** Pittsburgh Penguins fans. We are supposed to be biased. I don't usually blame the refs alot, but this game takes the cake.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:01 pm

Just because we are pens fans doesn't mean we have to blame the refs fo the way our team plays.
Peter

Postby dagny on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:01 pm

I've strongly disagreed with all the criticism about the line shuffling. Yes, chemistry is more important than can be stated, however, these guys need to be able to play, contribute, produce with ANY linemates. That's how a good team survives. Your usual linemates aren't ALWAYS available. It's also important to see who can play together and who can't. These are youngsters, new to the NHL and Therrien needs to see what they can do.

I wanted Crosby and Malkin separated. First, Malkin looks so out of place, even lost most of the time. Second, I want to see him in his natural position. I want to see him make plays, and I think he'll be better utilized because that seems to be what he wants to do, as well. He's a brilliant center, but an above average winger.

I've been for the line experiments, and they haven't all been bad. They just need some time to get used to playing with other linemates. Once they get past that, the combos Therrien can send out there will be unstoppable and unpredictable. Versatility.

Besides, their biggest problem has been playing with discipline. That needs to be part of the character regardless of the mitigating factors.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:06 pm

I just want to point out one important and overlooked point. This game going from a one goal game to a 6-2 blowout in the third period corresponded to exactly one event...

... and no, it wasn't the waved off goal...

Things went straight down the crapper precisely when Peter started posting.

That is all.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:08 pm

dagny wrote:I've strongly disagreed with all the criticism about the line shuffling. Yes, chemistry is more important than can be stated, however, these guys need to be able to play, contribute, produce with ANY linemates. That's how a good team survives. Your usual linemates aren't ALWAYS available. It's also important to see who can play together and who can't. These are youngsters, new to the NHL and Therrien needs to see what they can do.

I wanted Crosby and Malkin separated. First, Malkin looks so out of place, even lost most of the time. Second, I want to see him in his natural position. I want to see him make plays, and I think he'll be better utilized because that seems to be what he wants to do, as well. He's a brilliant center, but an above average winger.

I've been for the line experiments, and they haven't all been bad. They just need some time to get used to playing with other linemates. Once they get past that, the combos Therrien can send out there will be unstoppable and unpredictable. Versatility.

Besides, their biggest problem has been playing with discipline. That needs to be part of the character regardless of the mitigating factors.

I'll agree with you Dags that a good team should have players that can switch positions and be interchangeable in different line roles.

However, THIS IS NOT A GOOD TEAM. This is a young team with many free agents and first/second year guys that have never played before. Let them build confidence and cohesion with a few linemates first before shuffling them around. This will only lead to turn overs and few scoring chances as they will not know what their linemates tendencies are.

On the top of my 'Too Blame' list is Therrien's fumbling of the line combinations.

And i agree, Malkin should not be with Crosby all the time, only for the tougher opponents, like Ottawa, Carolina, Buffalo, and the Devils.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins