Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby Mountaineer on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:29 pm

Right now, he's one of the hottest forwards in the league. Will that be enough for a GM (Booby Clarke) to trade for him? The same can also be said for Leclair. I have a feeling that Leclair's a goner, but with Recchi I'm not so sure. What I do know is that the Pens are two points closer to either Kessell or Johnson, and that's not a bad thing.
Mountaineer
 

Postby ivand87 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:17 am

The Recchin Ball should be our captain next year - not trade bait now. (And no, Crosby as our captain in just his second year would be a mistake).

This team has enough young blood already - he still has at least one good year left in him after this one if not 2 or maybe even 3 (though that's stretching it), and I really don't think we could get anything good enough for him.

No one's gonn be giving up all-star defensemen for Recchi and that's the only thing that I'd prefer over him at this point.

We already lost Mario and Ziggy this year - I think it wouldn't hurt us to keep Recchi and LeClair around (although the latter is more expendable).
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,152
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby Ginger on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:27 am

Mountaineer wrote:Right now, he's one of the hottest forwards in the league. Will that be enough for a GM (Booby Clarke) to trade for him? The same can also be said for Leclair. I have a feeling that Leclair's a goner, but with Recchi I'm not so sure. What I do know is that the Pens are two points closer to either Kessell or Johnson, and that's not a bad thing.

Why is it that every time a player performs well, everybody looks at him as a trade rather than what he may do for us?? What do we trade for then? Some one that's good for us? Well, we have that...except that you guys always want to trade it. I'm confused. :?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Postby Rohit on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:34 am

i wouldnt be totally opposed to keeping recchi, but i think leclair should go.

to answer your question about why anyone would want to trade away a player that is good for us to get a player that is good for us, well i dont speak for everyone here, but in my own opinion, the difference is time.

if we were to trade recchi and leclair away, im assuming that it would be to a cup contender team so that they could get offensive results NOW while in return we could get a good player that would stay for a longer term...in other words, we wouldnt trade for a stud defenseman if he was 40 yrs old.
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,143
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: indianapolis, IN

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:39 am

Ginger wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Right now, he's one of the hottest forwards in the league. Will that be enough for a GM (Booby Clarke) to trade for him? The same can also be said for Leclair. I have a feeling that Leclair's a goner, but with Recchi I'm not so sure. What I do know is that the Pens are two points closer to either Kessell or Johnson, and that's not a bad thing.

Why is it that every time a player performs well, everybody looks at him as a trade rather than what he may do for us?? What do we trade for then? Some one that's good for us? Well, we have that...except that you guys always want to trade it. I'm confused. :?


I wouldnt mind seeing Recchi back for one final year I guess. I hate his play without the puck but Crosby isnt all the responsible either so I can deal. You have to admit that it would be nice to get a player that will be around for awhile instead of watching Recchi retire for nothing.
NIN
 

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:04 am

ziggystardust wrote:I don't understand how he and leclair are playing such garbage hockey, yet putting up points.

I think they just have been falling into dumb luck, like they did at the beginning of the season. Hopefully some team is dumb enough to look at nothing but a stat sheet and determine that these two old hacks can help them win.


They arent burdening themselves with defensive responsibility and needless hustle. They are doing what it takes in the offensove zone and that might get a scouts attention. If your a playoff team one loose cannon isnt going to unravel your entire teams system. If I were a serious Cup contender I would stay far away from these old farts but a potential playoff team could use some added punch on the power play to sneak into a spot and LeClair and Recchi can help a power play.
NIN
 

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby Ginger on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:36 am

NIN wrote:
I wouldnt mind seeing Recchi back for one final year I guess. I hate his play without the puck but Crosby isnt all the responsible either so I can deal. You have to admit that it would be nice to get a player that will be around for awhile instead of watching Recchi retire for nothing.


He's better on a line with Crosby, but more importantly Crosby is better on a line with Recchi! And you make a good point, we wouldn't want to see him retire & get nothing in return, but we're not sure of that happening yet. It's all speculation & I don't think we should act out of panic..."OMG, he's gonna get old & worthless on us so let's get rid of him NOW!!!"
I still see value there, & mentorship. I think he could even serve as captain next year 'cuz he always keeps his cool while others don't, if you get my gist.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:51 am

Ginger wrote: we wouldn't want to see him retire & get nothing in return, but we're not sure of that happening yet. It's all speculation & I don't think we should act out of panic..."OMG, he's gonna get old & worthless on us so let's get rid of him NOW!!!"


Correct but they should at least entertain offers. If they don't get a good one then keep him. I suspect somebody would be willing to part with a decent prospect, someone that even Patrick and his merry band of misfits could see has what it takes to thrive in the NHL.
NIN
 

Postby Bowser on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:06 am

According to PG, Carolina, Philadelphia, Ottawa, San Jose and Dallas are interested in Recchi. I doubt the Senators would do it but I'd like to get C Mike Fisher. He's a RH shot to help the Pens on faceoffs and be the top checking center on the third line. It would allow Christensen to switch to wing.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby Ginger on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:48 pm

NIN wrote:
Correct but they should at least entertain offers. If they don't get a good one then keep him. I suspect somebody would be willing to part with a decent prospect, someone that even Patrick and his merry band of misfits could see has what it takes to thrive in the NHL.


Okay, I'll give you that...in this case. But it happens with almost every player at some point or another. You can call up any post - "He [fill in a name] stinks! Get rid of him!" Or, "He's doing really well right now; this might be the time to see what we can get for him."
Is this a guy thing or just fantasy league hockey mentality kicking in?:wink:
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby Sleestak on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:51 pm

ziggystardust wrote:Recchi is horrific.


Cool opinion.
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:56 am

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:05 pm

Ginger wrote:
NIN wrote:
Correct but they should at least entertain offers. If they don't get a good one then keep him. I suspect somebody would be willing to part with a decent prospect, someone that even Patrick and his merry band of misfits could see has what it takes to thrive in the NHL.


Okay, I'll give you that...in this case. But it happens with almost every player at some point or another. You can call up any post - "He [fill in a name] stinks! Get rid of him!" Or, "He's doing really well right now; this might be the time to see what we can get for him."
Is this a guy thing or just fantasy league hockey mentality kicking in?:wink:


I dunno :? . Could be a guy thing I guess, we are generally an uncommittal gender. :D
NIN
 

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:10 pm

ziggystardust wrote: He doesn't give consistant effort and he's a cancer in the locker room.


He's a jerk.




I agree with everything else but this unless you can prove to me some of the things he is saying in that locker room and I don't think you or anyone else can. He does hustle just not when it is really needed the most, like backchecking.
NIN
 

Postby DayWalker on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:29 pm

ziggystardust wrote:he's absolutely terrible defensively. He doesn't give consistant effort and he's a cancer in the locker room.

He plays a terrible game and manages to score some goals. Who cares? it won't last now, just like it didn't last at the beginning of the season.

He's not the type of player ANY team needs. He's an enigma. He's a jerk. He gives spotty effort defensively.



he's directly responsible for atleast a goal against each game.


Care to cite which goals he has been directly responsible for?

Other than that, yeah he sucks. This well-over-a-point-a-game over the last two months or so reeks of suckitude...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby DayWalker on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:31 pm

ziggystardust wrote:he's absolutely terrible defensively. He doesn't give consistant effort and he's a cancer in the locker room.

He plays a terrible game and manages to score some goals. Who cares? it won't last now, just like it didn't last at the beginning of the season.

He's not the type of player ANY team needs. He's an enigma. He's a jerk. He gives spotty effort defensively.



he's directly responsible for atleast a goal against each game.


He's a jerk? Do you know him personally?

And is this "cancer" charge predicated upon actually evidence?
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby DayWalker on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:32 pm

Ginger wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Right now, he's one of the hottest forwards in the league. Will that be enough for a GM (Booby Clarke) to trade for him? The same can also be said for Leclair. I have a feeling that Leclair's a goner, but with Recchi I'm not so sure. What I do know is that the Pens are two points closer to either Kessell or Johnson, and that's not a bad thing.

Why is it that every time a player performs well, everybody looks at him as a trade rather than what he may do for us?? What do we trade for then? Some one that's good for us? Well, we have that...except that you guys always want to trade it. I'm confused. :?


Ralph Kiner.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:33 pm

DayWalker wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:he's absolutely terrible defensively. He doesn't give consistant effort and he's a cancer in the locker room.

He plays a terrible game and manages to score some goals. Who cares? it won't last now, just like it didn't last at the beginning of the season.

He's not the type of player ANY team needs. He's an enigma. He's a jerk. He gives spotty effort defensively.



he's directly responsible for atleast a goal against each game.


He's a jerk? Do you know him personally?

And is this "cancer" charge predicated upon actually evidence?



I wonder if that is the same "cancer" that is slowly killing our city and job market?

I dunno Zig you havent provided any proof. I dont swim in the same **** you and Madden do. recchi seems like a very stand up guy, I just don't like his play without the puck. Never did.
NIN
 

Postby DayWalker on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:51 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:he's absolutely terrible defensively. He doesn't give consistant effort and he's a cancer in the locker room.

He plays a terrible game and manages to score some goals. Who cares? it won't last now, just like it didn't last at the beginning of the season.

He's not the type of player ANY team needs. He's an enigma. He's a jerk. He gives spotty effort defensively.



he's directly responsible for atleast a goal against each game.


Care to cite which goals he has been directly responsible for?

Other than that, yeah he sucks. This well-over-a-point-a-game over the last two months or so reeks of suckitude...



every freaking game he's late on the backcheck or takes a poor angle in doing so and gets beat because of it.
Just watch the damn games. If you actually did that you wouldn't be asking me to cite these goals.


typical Pixxburgh fan - all that matters is the stat sheet. If a guy is getting a point a game, he's obviously a good player.

The only people dumber than the politicians in this city is the hockey fan bae.


Typical Pittsburgher is right.

Funny, I watch the games, and I just don't happen to see those goals that Recchi is directly responsible for giving up every night. I do see those points he is piling up at a rather impressive rate on a suck-*** team and, yeah, I do somehow value that a bit more than his supposedly substandard play away from the puck. But that is just me...

But then, I don't make ridiculous categorical assertions either, so there you go. Especially when I cannot provide evidence to back them up...

As far as those "rumors" go: Well, folks will believe what they want to believe, no won't they?
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Recchi's hot streak couldn't come at a better time...

Postby DayWalker on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:52 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
Ginger wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Right now, he's one of the hottest forwards in the league. Will that be enough for a GM (Booby Clarke) to trade for him? The same can also be said for Leclair. I have a feeling that Leclair's a goner, but with Recchi I'm not so sure. What I do know is that the Pens are two points closer to either Kessell or Johnson, and that's not a bad thing.

Why is it that every time a player performs well, everybody looks at him as a trade rather than what he may do for us?? What do we trade for then? Some one that's good for us? Well, we have that...except that you guys always want to trade it. I'm confused. :?


Ralph Kiner.


Like Mark Recchi?


except Kiner was actually good.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby DayWalker on Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:26 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:he's absolutely terrible defensively. He doesn't give consistant effort and he's a cancer in the locker room.

He plays a terrible game and manages to score some goals. Who cares? it won't last now, just like it didn't last at the beginning of the season.

He's not the type of player ANY team needs. He's an enigma. He's a jerk. He gives spotty effort defensively.



he's directly responsible for atleast a goal against each game.


Care to cite which goals he has been directly responsible for?

Other than that, yeah he sucks. This well-over-a-point-a-game over the last two months or so reeks of suckitude...



every freaking game he's late on the backcheck or takes a poor angle in doing so and gets beat because of it.
Just watch the damn games. If you actually did that you wouldn't be asking me to cite these goals.


typical Pixxburgh fan - all that matters is the stat sheet. If a guy is getting a point a game, he's obviously a good player.

The only people dumber than the politicians in this city is the hockey fan bae.


Typical Pittsburgher is right.

Funny, I watch the games, and I just don't happen to see those goals that Recchi is directly responsible for giving up every night. I do see those points he is piling up at a rather impressive rate on a suck-*** team and, yeah, I do somehow value that a bit more than his supposedly substandard play away from the puck. But that is just me...

But then, I don't make ridiculous categorical assertions either, so there you go. Especially when I cannot provide evidence to back them up...

As far as those "rumors" go: Well, folks will believe what they want to believe, no won't they?


You don't watch the games.
you look at players skating around with a puck.


LOL.

Okay...you got me.

LOL.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby Sleestak on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:08 pm

ziggystardust wrote:You don't watch the games.
you look at players skating around with a puck.


Cool opinion.
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:56 am

Postby Sleestak on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:49 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Sleestak wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:You don't watch the games.
you look at players skating around with a puck.


Cool opinion.


thanks.
But its a fact.

Anyone who is fine with how recchi plays without the puck doesn't really watch the games.


Cool opinion.
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:56 am

Postby DayWalker on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 pm

Sleestak wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
Sleestak wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:You don't watch the games.
you look at players skating around with a puck.


Cool opinion.


thanks.
But its a fact.

Anyone who is fine with how recchi plays without the puck doesn't really watch the games.


Cool opinion.


Cool opinion and fine erection of a strawman to boot...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby DayWalker on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:11 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
Sleestak wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
Sleestak wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:You don't watch the games.
you look at players skating around with a puck.


Cool opinion.


thanks.
But its a fact.

Anyone who is fine with how recchi plays without the puck doesn't really watch the games.


Cool opinion.


Cool opinion and fine erection of a strawman to boot...



How is it a strawman? I thought you said you didn't care how he played without the puck. Am I wrong here?


Nope. I never claimed I didn't care about his play without the puck. However, I do claim that his supposedly "substandard" play without the puck is mitigated by his performance WITH the puck and the fact that he has been putting up points at a pretty impressive rate over ther last two months or so on a really bad team. When you can cite the post where I say that I don't care at all about Recchi's play without the puck, let me know. Otherwise, you sir are distorting my argument. Hence, the strawman charge...

(You, on the other hand, refused to answer/could not tell me which goals, specifically, that Recchi was responsible for permitting each game BECAUSE of his play with the puck. Your claim, your burden of proof.)

Secondly, as a matter of opinion, I just happen to value point production, especially rather impressive point production, over a player's abilities without the puck, especially when that player is a first-line winger (And ESPECIALLY when you cannot demonstrate to me and have failed to persuade me as to how Recchi's play without the puck has had a material impact on the team's fortunes night in and night out. You haven't, likely because you cannot. Perhaps if you watched the games...)

We obviously assign different values to different player attributes. Fine. Regardless, I fail to see how any objective person can say Recchi "sucks" (as you did) or make the bizarre and unsubstantiated charge that someone "does not watch the games" (Sort of like the unproven and likely unprovable charge that Recchi is a "cancer." I am still waiting on your evidence for that Mr. Madden.)
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,744
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby Sleestak on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:13 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Sleestak wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
Sleestak wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:You don't watch the games.
you look at players skating around with a puck.


Cool opinion.


thanks.
But its a fact.

Anyone who is fine with how recchi plays without the puck doesn't really watch the games.


Cool opinion.



ok, two things.

Just to see if this is worth my time, tell me what a backchecking angle is, and for the fun of it, list some logical fallacies and define them.
If you don't have a grasp of the basics why should I waste time here?


Cool opinion.
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:56 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: llipgh2, Scate and 13 guests

e-mail