Official Game Thread - 11/17 - Penguins vs. Sabres - 8:08pm

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby 68forever on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:32 pm

bbblllllllllllllll bummer!
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:32 pm

We need our competant defenseman back.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:36 pm

cs6687 wrote:Drury cheats on faceoffs. He moves forward before the puck is dropped. His skates are not set on the faceoff lines.

Almost every center does. They should just remove the faceoff lines most nights.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:36 pm

Jesse wrote:WAY TO SKATE AFTER THE PUCK HARD THE ENTIRE WAY WHITNEY. WAY TO KEEP UP THAT SPEED AND REALLY MAKE A PLAY WITH AN EMPTY NET.

EDIT: I HATE YOU.

Someone, please, feed me the "Oh but he's a great offensive dman and his +whatever and he's blah blah"

SHUT UP. HES SUCKING.

I think we are going to have to up your meds. :shock:
NIN

Postby Stoosh on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:38 pm

WAY TO SKATE AFTER THE PUCK HARD THE ENTIRE WAY WHITNEY. WAY TO KEEP UP THAT SPEED AND REALLY MAKE A PLAY WITH AN EMPTY NET.

Someone, please, feed me the "Oh but he's a great offensive dman and his +whatever and he's blah blah"

SHUT UP. HES SUCKING.

Whitney's contributions on offense far outweigh his deficiencies on defense. He's an asset to the power play and you don't know what you're talking about.

just kidding. ;)

Whitney did not have a good game tonight. He's far from the Pens' biggest worry, but the ineffectiveness of the PP is partly his fault.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:38 pm

NIN wrote:
Jesse wrote:WAY TO SKATE AFTER THE PUCK HARD THE ENTIRE WAY WHITNEY. WAY TO KEEP UP THAT SPEED AND REALLY MAKE A PLAY WITH AN EMPTY NET.

SHUT UP. HES SUCKING.

I'm sick and tired of people defending this kids play. You can tell me he's young, fine, I understand that. But he's downright horrendous now. I'm sick of people giving me offensive numbers to justify his defensive play.

He's been crap on the point, crap in his own end, and he absolutely made a fool of himself tonight by basically letting Kotalik score the easiest goal of his life.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh470 on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:38 pm

SHUT UP. HES SUCKING.

If you say this, you better not defend Gonchar ever for any reason. Gonchar = glorified Whitney
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby yeltzen on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:39 pm

I would not be totally against a healthy scratching of Whitney when we play Philly Monday night. Seriously. This is getting ridiculous. The guy needs to learn he cannot play like this.
yeltzen

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:41 pm

Special teams cost them the game. Period.

The power play was 0 for 6 and wasn't even as effective as it sounds. They can't gain the zone with control of the puck which means they have trouble setting up which means half the PK unit's job is being done for them. When they finally do get set up, they seem content to pass all around the perimeter, looking to set up a one-time shot from way outside or that cross-ice pass to the low forward off the post.

The penalty kill gave up 2 power play goals on 4 chances. The Pens finally do a decent job of staying out of the box, and the PK had a lousy night.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Would be nice if the PP and PK would come out of their slump.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:43 pm

yeltzen wrote:I would not be totally against a healthy scratching of Whitney when we play Philly Monday night. Seriously. This is getting ridiculous. The guy needs to learn he cannot play like this.

I am more down on Gonchar, for the only reason that he should know better. Whitney is still practically a rookie, Gonchar gets a pass from Therien all the time. It seems that the veterans get a constant pass from Therien, how the hell Leclair is playing over Staal and Gonchar is never made accountable for his mistakes is beyone me.

Whatever happened to the 20 goal scoring power play machine Gonchar?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yeltzen on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:46 pm

KG wrote:I am more down on Gonchar, for the only reason that he should know better. Whitney is still practically a rookie, Gonchar gets a pass from Therien all the time. It seems that the veterans get a constant pass from Therien, how the hell Leclair is playing over Staal and Gonchar is never made accountable for his mistakes is beyone me.

The difference is that Gonchar has at least been acceptable on defense. I know he's sucked offensively and that's what we pay him to do, but he's at least not being a complete defensive liability right now. Whitney is just sucking in all facets of the game right now.
yeltzen

Postby jmh470 on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 pm

BTW I thought Welch was very good tonight. Definetly his best game so far.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 pm

yeltzen wrote:
KG wrote:I am more down on Gonchar, for the only reason that he should know better. Whitney is still practically a rookie, Gonchar gets a pass from Therien all the time. It seems that the veterans get a constant pass from Therien, how the hell Leclair is playing over Staal and Gonchar is never made accountable for his mistakes is beyone me.

The difference is that Gonchar has at least been acceptable on defense. I know he's sucked offensively and that's what we pay him to do, but he's at least not being a complete defensive liability right now. Whitney is just sucking in all facets of the game right now.

Seriously. I mean who quits on a puck with an empty net when you're down by one with 50 seconds left?

I seriously have never seen a more pathetic attempt at anything in my life.

At this point, I'd welcome Janne Freaking Laukannen back.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:50 pm

Whitney for Pitkanen??
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:50 pm

Jesse wrote:
NIN wrote:

SHUT UP. HES SUCKING.

I'm sick and tired of people defending this kids play. You can tell me he's young, fine, I understand that. But he's downright horrendous now. I'm sick of people giving me offensive numbers to justify his defensive play.

He's been crap on the point, crap in his own end, and he absolutely made a fool of himself tonight by basically letting Kotalik score the easiest goal of his life.

There is no doubt that Whitney should have went all out for that loose puck. He made a mistake, so I agree. However I am sold on his potential and I can easily overlook a few things because I know he will help win more games for the Pens then he will be at fault for lossing.
NIN

Postby magnum on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:55 pm

Special teams cost them the game. Period.

The power play was 0 for 6 and wasn't even as effective as it sounds. They can't gain the zone with control of the puck which means they have trouble setting up which means half the PK unit's job is being done for them. When they finally do get set up, they seem content to pass all around the perimeter, looking to set up a one-time shot from way outside or that cross-ice pass to the low forward off the post.

The penalty kill gave up 2 power play goals on 4 chances. The Pens finally do a decent job of staying out of the box, and the PK had a lousy night.

Completely agree. Other than that and some really nice saves from Biron, Buffalo didn't look like a team that was really better than us. For as quick as they were, we didn't look slow (with an exception of LeClair)
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:59 pm

NIN wrote:
Jesse wrote:
NIN wrote:

SHUT UP. HES SUCKING.

There is no doubt that Whitney should have went all out for that loose puck. He made a mistake, so I agree. However I am sold on his potential and I can easily overlook a few things because I know he will help win more games for the Pens then he will be at fault for lossing.

84 games in the NHL, will be still be waiting for this "potential" at 164 games?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby magnum on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:03 am

Whitney = great trade bait.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins