Official Game Thread - 11/18 - Penguins vs. Rangers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:55 am

Jagr's not getting booed because he's not a great player anymore. He's getting booed because he started crying and forced his way out of our city despite all the success he had here and all the support he had from the fans. I can understand that some might not want to boo him, but the fans don't have to just "get over it." Jagr made himself into an enemy, and if the fans here want to continue to boo him, they have every right.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:08 am

Henry Hank wrote:Jagr's not getting booed because he's not a great player anymore. He's getting booed because he started crying and forced his way out of our city despite all the success he had here and all the support he had from the fans. I can understand that some might not want to boo him, but the fans don't have to just "get over it." Jagr made himself into an enemy, and if the fans here want to continue to boo him, they have every right.

It's been 6 years or so, people need to get over it. The way he left the city was blown way out of proportion as well....he is still the 2nd greatest player to ever put on a Pens sweater.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sanscrit on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:50 am

skullman80 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Jagr's not getting booed because he's not a great player anymore. He's getting booed because he started crying and forced his way out of our city despite all the success he had here and all the support he had from the fans. I can understand that some might not want to boo him, but the fans don't have to just "get over it." Jagr made himself into an enemy, and if the fans here want to continue to boo him, they have every right.

It's been 6 years or so, people need to get over it. The way he left the city was blown way out of proportion as well....he is still the 2nd greatest player to ever put on a Pens sweater.

shedding jagr was a blessing. it started the fall to the bottom that allowed the pens to finish in the cellar a few years and pick up the core of the current roster.
sanscrit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:07 am

sanscrit wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

shedding jagr was a blessing. it started the fall to the bottom that allowed the pens to finish in the cellar a few years and pick up the core of the current roster.

I wouldn't call that a blessing. I know it turned out well as far as getting Crosyb/Malkin etc, but I never ever want to go through a 5 year stretch like that again, it sucks to watch, it sucks as a fan, and you normally don't get two generational talents.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yeltzen on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:50 am

the wicked child wrote:I think it's time to give up the booing. Unfortuantely, in Pittsburgh, once they get it in their ehad to boo someone, it is for life.

They gave up on booing Hatcher pretty quickly the other night. Then again, it's hard to really hate a guy that has no chance to hurt your team.
yeltzen

Postby André on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:36 am

penscup wrote:
Yup, he'll rack up the points in reg. season, but come postseason just watch him disappear once again. He gets frustrated waaaaay too easily when teams start checking him tightly, and then he starts to whiiiiiiiiinnnnne. You can take all those MVP's and stuff'em in sack. I'll take a Cup anyday instead.

I love how some people seem to believe Jagr folds in playoffs. He has averaged more than a point per game in the playoffs. He has carried both the Pens and Zcech national team in playoff games.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:37 am

mikey287 wrote:Sidney Baryshnikov? Nice move by Crosby, Tyutin is good with that hip, he always has been, good stuff Sid...

I'm surprised that didn't get more attention here in the game thread. It was freaking awesome!
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:48 am

Shinoix wrote:
Deas wrote:Good game by the Pens! Now, if only the Islanders could start losing. Why are they doing this good? =)

this well :)

:P
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:43 am

Deas wrote:
penscup wrote:
Yup, he'll rack up the points in reg. season, but come postseason just watch him disappear once again. He gets frustrated waaaaay too easily when teams start checking him tightly, and then he starts to whiiiiiiiiinnnnne. You can take all those MVP's and stuff'em in sack. I'll take a Cup anyday instead.

I love how some people seem to believe Jagr folds in playoffs. He has averaged more than a point per game in the playoffs. He has carried both the Pens and Zcech national team in playoff games.

Exactly. The guy has more game-winning playoff goals than any other player in Penguin history, including Mario Lemieux. If you don't like him, fine, but revising history to attempt to lessen his accomplishments is pretty shallow IMO.

And before you defend yourself by saying you're only talking about last year's Rangers, I'll remind you that Jagr was essentially playing with one arm with a shoulder injury that would have had most guys in the press box.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins