Dexter Anyone? **Possible Spoilers Ahead**

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Dexter Anyone? **Possible Spoilers Ahead**

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:57 pm

In light of another empty-handed night at the Emmy's, and the new season starting next week, I thought I'd see how much of a Dexter contingent we have here on LGP. Really is a quality show. I actually stopped watching season 1 after a few episodes, but then I gave it another chance and really got into it and haven't looked back since. Showtime On Demand having all 3 seasons in HD definitely provided some great summer downtime. But sadly I'm back at school and won't be able to keep up with the new season as it unfolds.

So, who else here is a fan of one of the best shows on TV?

-------------------
mod edited for spoiler tag
Last edited by meecrofilm on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Dexter Anyone?

Postby Froggy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 am

My girlfriend and I had never watched it, but we were curious, so we started watching the first season on demand. 2 weeks later, we watched all 3 seasons. Pretty good show. Looking forward to the next season.

Spoiler:
I miss sgt doakes
Last edited by Froggy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:23 am

is this show silly? im not sure of its genre. i dont think i can jump into a super serious show at the moment. i want something alittle more light hearted
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:03 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:is this show silly? im not sure of its genre. i dont think i can jump into a super serious show at the moment. i want something alittle more light hearted

Then look somewhere else, hah. Definitely a serious show. Though it actually has its fair share of comedy present throughout.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AricM on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:19 am

I've been hooked since the first season. Everyone I've recommended the show to has loved it as well.
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:11 am

I love the first two seasons. Season three was pretty weak. It's beginning to get too formulaic and I hope the John Lithgow storyline isn't another retread of the Ice Truck Killer/Skinner stuff.

I can't wait for the new season, though. I'm just saying, season three reminded me that there are sharks in Miami, and they were really close to jumping one.

That said, the rooftop scene with Dexter and Miguel was pretty great.

(NSFW - language)

-------------------------
Mod edit: Link removed. Board inappropriate.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dexter Anyone? **Possible Spoilers**

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:14 am

^^ Nice. That's a pretty quality video.

I liked season 3 quite a bit. It was just as suspenseful as Season 2, but on a completely different level. Season 2 was more a straight-forward, action-event driven season, whereas Season 3 was extremely psychologically intriguing (to me at least.. the whole friendship between Dexter and Miguel..). Looks like this next season might have a bit of both.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:03 am

the season premier leaked about 2 weeks ago, in case you're as excited as i was and watched it immediately.

it doesn't disappoint.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:08 am

season 1 = great
season 2 = solid
season 3 = dump
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:42 am

Love the show. Looking forward to this coming season. Not quite sure where it goes from here. They have done the "Will Dexter get caught?" thing.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:28 am

Great show, I missed the first season but caught all of them on OnDemand before the second season and have been watching ever since!
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:38 am

I really miss Dexter! I had to make changes to my cable lineup last year to save a few bucks and inadvertently dumped Showtime without realizing I was losing my favorite (and about the only one I watched regularly) show! I found out when I sat down to watch the "next" episode! That was 2 weeks into season 3. :(

I'm about ready to get it back!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Diddy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:57 am

My TV almost exploded last night, both Dexter and Curb came back!

I didn't like season 3 of Dexter as much as the first two, but still liked it. I'm really looking forward to season 4 and what the main story line will be.
Diddy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am

if they killed deb off, the show would immediately go up 2 or 3 pegs in my book.

aside from michael strahan's new show, she's probably the worst thing on TV right now. the actress and the character... just awful on both counts.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:16 pm

shmenguin wrote:if they killed deb off, the show would immediately go up 2 or 3 pegs in my book.

aside from michael strahan's new show, she's probably the worst thing on TV right now. the actress and the character... just awful on both counts.

yeah. She is pretty bad. Who talks like that? Plus the actress is freaky skinny, and very harsh in the face. That character makes me wonder if dexter would have been caught if everyone on the show wasn't so self-absorbed and stupid.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Froggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:if they killed deb off, the show would immediately go up 2 or 3 pegs in my book.

yeah. She is pretty bad. Who talks like that? Plus the actress is freaky skinny, and very harsh in the face. That character makes me wonder if dexter would have been caught if everyone on the show wasn't so self-absorbed and stupid.

and i think michael c. hall actually left his wife for that woman. which means she'll be around for the duration of the show, unfortunately.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spikey on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:41 pm

I'm a huge fan, but I'm not reading through the thread because I'm just now starting season three. Hoping it's up to par with the first two seasons. :thumb:

Spoiler:
I'm sad that Doakes is gone, though. I loved his antagonistic relationship with Dexter. One of my favorite quotes from the show is when Dexter says something like, "In a room full of cops, how is it that Doakes is the only one who's suspicious of me?"
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:07 pm

There's a mash up of doakes quotes somewhere on YouTube(can't link... Not family friendly). It cracks me up when he says "Morgan" for some reason.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:09 pm

John Lithgow is creepy as hell.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:20 am

Pretty good premiere.

Spoiler:
I really like family man Dexter. I was a little worried about it going in but it plays so perfectly. Not only is it a fun new dimension to his character, but it's also playing largely into this season's story. The series needed a fresh feel, and the baby thing is traditionally a "jumping the shark" moment in television shows. Thankfully, this fits nicely. I'm really unsure of the Lithgow character right now. He seems a little cartoony, especially during the shower scene. I wonder if we're going to see his bum in every episode. I'm down with the Angel/Laguerta storyline as neither had much to do last season. I hope Anton is gone soon. I'm much more interested in Deb and Lundy and I'm so not looking forward to a love triangle. Quinn and reporter lady? Snore. Quinn needs to die soon. Hopefully Dexter will wrap him in cellophane by the end of the season. The car crash at the end of the episode was fantastic. My only complaint is they gave away the outcome with the previews of next week and the whole season. I wish I hadn't seen that. I'm hoping this season rights the ship and recovers the series from a pretty poor season 3. So far, so good.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:30 am

I just watched disk 1 of season 1 this weekend. I will keep netflixing it.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:38 am

Just watched Sunday's episode. Was pretty bland until the end.

Spoiler:
Anton or John Lithgow as the trigger man? Or none of the above? Money's on Anton because he shot Deb first, but when I watch this show I tend to overanalyze and follow the "red herrings"
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 am

Samsdog wrote:Just watched Sunday's episode. Was pretty bland until the end.

Spoiler:
Anton or John Lithgow as the trigger man? Or none of the above? Money's on Anton because he shot Deb first, but when I watch this show I tend to overanalyze and follow the "red herrings"

Spoiler:
i'd bet money that it wasn't lithgow. if only deb would have got one between the eyes. worst character ever. i did tivo 30 second skips through that whole scene with her and lundy at the end...they were hugging...skip...they were bleeding on the ground. that's the only way to enjoy a deb scene.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 am

shmenguin wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
i'd bet money that it wasn't lithgow. if only deb would have got one between the eyes. worst character ever. i did tivo 30 second skips through that whole scene with her and lundy at the end...they were hugging...skip...they were bleeding on the ground. that's the only way to enjoy a deb scene.

Amen to that. She's so whiny I want to shove a rag soaked in antifreeze down her throat. And no one person swears like that, her character is like a ridiculous caricature of every woman that has ever spent her formative years in New York City.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby nocera on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It seems really out of character for Anton. They haven't set up any sort of temper like that at all. You can't all of a sudden change him into a jealous boyfriend and a murderer in one episode. That said, it doesn't really fit Lithgow's character either. All we've seen of this guy has been his meticulous stalking of women and then their murder. (Aside from that ridiculous shower scene and him begging to get beat up (also ridiculous)). He, like Dexter, enjoys the routine of the kill. If he was going to kill Lundy, he would've done it much cleaner.

Also, this season is FAR better than season 3
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NHR