What are you hoping for out of the deadline?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What are you hoping for out of the deadline?

Postby borohcky9 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:37 am

As the deadline comes closer, i am torn between two ideal situations that both cannot co-exist.

Situation 1-- CP gets his head out of his @$$, and makes some great deals for both the current situation and future of this team. But in the process he saves his job and signs a new contract that will make him the GM for the future of this team.

Situation 2-- CP does what everyone is expecting...nothing...we may make moves, but they will be yet again for 3rd liners and underachievers that cannot improve this team.

So which should i be praying for come Weds. night?

Any suggestions?
borohcky9

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:43 am

I don't care if he makes any moves or not. All I want is that if he does, the return doesn't bring more has-beens, never-weres, and/ot never-will-bes.

As far as type of players, I'd like to see 1-2 guys in their early to mid-20s that play gritty, physical two way hockey. And 1-2 competent defensive defensemen that can make a breakout pass and are right handed would be nice too.

Is that asking for too much? :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby borohcky9 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:47 am

But what if he does all of that, is he then forgiven?

Is he resigned long-term?

That is what scares me.
borohcky9

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:48 am

At the very least, I'd like to see some of the crap that might be valuable to some teams get shovelled out. Specifically, I'm talking about Melichar and Jackman. For the defense to get on the road to improvement, those guys have to go because Gonchar, Whitney, and Orpik aren't going anywhere. I don't really care what we get for them. Clear their spots and start looking for legit improvements.

I won't label LeClair as crap, but I'd like to see him traded as well, again, for whatever we can get. He still can contribute in the NHL, but he's old and slow, not the kind of player the Pens should be carrying. They should be looking to get as young and quick as they can.

As far as Recchi goes, I could be satisfied either way. I wouldn't mind seeing him stay because he still is a good offensive player who could contribute to what will hopefully be a much-improved team next season. On the other hand, if you can get a legitimately good young player for him, I wouldn't hesitate. Recchi could have enough value to get it done. He's having a good season, at least offensively, he's experienced, and he's signed through next season. Should a team only want him for the playoff run, they don't have to bring him back for next season, so they have that option too. If Recchi can bring in a young physical defensive defenseman or a young physical winger with a scoring touch, it might be the best thing to do.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:16 am

borohcky9 wrote:But what if he does all of that, is he then forgiven?

Is he resigned long-term?

That is what scares me.

I think the pending sale of the team has more to do with Patrick's future here than anything he might do in the next 2 days. New ownership usually likes to have their own guys in place and there are rumors that Patrick in on the outs already. I could see him getting another 1 year offer depending on how the sale moves along, but nothing more than that.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:15 am

I think its fair to say that what we have isn't working and it is clear this team is still a couple of years from being considered a competitor. That said, I think what ever isn't nailed down can go.

In all honesty though, Leclair, Recchi and Roy are the only three that will gain interest in my opinion. Jackman and Melichar are even less useful to a playoff bound team than they are to a last place team. Recchi should gain interest and hopefully an offer similiar to the one Doug Weight got a few weeks ago.

Anything is possible with Patrick. Hopefully there will be enough offers out there that its a matter of, "I'll take that one". Because I have no more faith in Patrick's ability to grade trade value and talent.

It would be a sin not to trade Recchi if there was a valuable offer on the table. His value as a "veteran" on a young team was barely noticeable until half way through the season. There's nothing more he could bring to the team next year that he hasn't brought already this year.

As for me, I know it has been in BS rumors lately.....but I would like to see Steve Downie from Philly or maybe Kaigorodov from Ottawa along with a pick or two. Drew Stafford from Buffalo would be ideal but probably unrealistic.

Ironically enough, a buddy of mine mentioned to me that Gonchar's name has shown up in Rangers rumors in the last week. Moving Gonchar would be a dream. Take it with a grain of salt.

Its a shame this has been the only spring excitement we've had in a few years.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:56 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Ironically enough, a buddy of mine mentioned to me that Gonchar's name has shown up in Rangers rumors in the last week. Moving Gonchar would be a dream. Take it with a grain of salt.

I think that falls under the old habits die hard category. Before the cap, every large money guys was heading to the Rangers at deadline time. :)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:26 pm

netwolf wrote:I think that falls under the old habits die hard category. Before the cap, every large money guys was heading to the Rangers at deadline time. :)

Unless they send salary back in return, they don't have room for Gonchar under the cap. Nobody does. We are stuck with him for life.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jamie on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:55 pm

All I would ask for in a trade right now is equal value for what is given. I don't think CP has it in him to come out on top anymore, especially in this new salary cap era. As far as him being signed to a long term extension, I believe that will be up to the new ownership, whoever that may be. Frankly, I don't see a new owner keeping him on board.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:13 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
netwolf wrote:I think that falls under the old habits die hard category. Before the cap, every large money guys was heading to the Rangers at deadline time. :)

Unless they send salary back in return, they don't have room for Gonchar under the cap. Nobody does. We are stuck with him for life.

Or at least until a year or two comes off the deal. All the more reason to hope his mild improvement before the break continues. The two weeks prior he was playing as advertised minus the goal-production IMO.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins