Penguins v. Islanders 11/27/06 Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins v. Islanders 11/27/06 Official Game Thread

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:21 pm

Preamble

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I had a great opening written where I channeled the ghost of Keith Jackson, then I realized a) there's no way the greatness of his voice inflection would come across properly on the internet, and b) he's still alive. (Really, I get a giggle just thinking about him saying "LenDale White" or "Roll Tide". Wait, back to the subject.) So let's just get down to it all. Early on the Pens looked great. However, it turns out they are who we thought they were- mediocre. I think " good bad team" is a perfect description- they can beat the crappy teams, are will do okay against other average teams, but the elite teams kill them. This is a game the Pens can win. Crosby is back tonight, so hopefully that sparks the offense, which could be charitably described as "moribund". A look at the standings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standings

The Pens have sunk to 4th in the division, and 10th in the East. The good news? They're ahead of the Flyers, who stink. God that makes me happy.

As always, if they lose, there should be firings of all involved with the Pens, including the vendors and parking attendants.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:26 pm

They are...who we thought they were!
If you want to crown them, go ahead and crown them.

Go PENS! Go Rocco! Go Denny Green (please).
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

MT's system

Postby Geezer on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:47 pm

I've often heard it referred to but honestly don't know what Therrien's system is.Anyone want to take a shot at describing it.\?I'm not referring to "the chaos theory " of shuffling lines ad infitum or jokes about shocking goalies by putting the wrong guys out in shootouts.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby yeltzen on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:48 pm

All you need to do is watch a few breakouts from early last year. Then, you'll have a new appreciation for Therrien.
yeltzen

Postby Geezer on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:57 pm

yeltzen wrote:All you need to do is watch a few breakouts from early last year. Then, you'll have a new appreciation for Therrien.
I'm not unaprectiative in the least.I meant it as a serious question but figured I'd get a lot of jokes.I'v never heard some concrete description og what MT's system is.I wondered if someone could give some details.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby magnum on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:59 pm

Therrien's system is playing tough all game long, digging for pucks in the corner, backchecking really hard and forechecking really hard. :lol: :lol:
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:02 pm

magnum wrote:Therrien's system is playing tough all game long, digging for pucks in the corner, backchecking really hard and forechecking really hard. :lol: :lol:

Absent from that system is scoring goals.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: MT's system

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Geezer wrote:I've often heard it referred to but honestly don't know what Therrien's system is.Anyone want to take a shot at describing it.\?I'm not referring to "the chaos theory " of shuffling lines ad infitum or jokes about shocking goalies by putting the wrong guys out in shootouts.

Systems change with the score, which is why it would appear that teams don't have a steady system.

When the score is tied (even momentum) you can expect to see alot of safe, smart passes and dump-ins. Therrian likes to get a hard working forecheck established. Bang some bodies, get the legs pumping. Quick line changes, a steady diet of trap and attack when teams make a mistake. It's a system that relies heavily on patience and pouncing on mistakes--imagine a coiled snake waiting for it's prey to wonder into it's strike range--unaware of the impending doom.

If the Penguins are in the lead or if they are dominating you can expect allittle more recklessness and focus on the trap. Teams usually counter that with sustained forechecking that exposes the lack of toughness and experiance on our blueline. They usually get into penalty trouble when this happens. Thsi is not by design however, :lol: , what Therrian wants to see is the centers BACK and HITTING but they never do enough of it. Sid and Zhenia want more goals to satisfy them and defenseive responsibility is rarely on the menu when the team has the lead. That will change in time.

When the Pens are trailing they will try to force the puck on the rush out of their own end as much as possible, only dumping when it's a checking line.
NIN

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Let's Go Pens!

And thank God for TVU. :D
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:06 pm

Johnny Vermont not in the lineup.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: MT's system

Postby Geezer on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:06 pm

NIN wrote:
Geezer wrote:I've often heard it referred to but honestly don't know what Therrien's system is.Anyone want to take a shot at describing it.\?I'm not referring to "the chaos theory " of shuffling lines ad infitum or jokes about shocking goalies by putting the wrong guys out in shootouts.

Systems change with the score, which is why it would appear that teams don't have a steady system.

When the score is tied (even momentum) you can expect to see alot of safe, smart passes and dump-ins. Therrian likes to get a hard working forecheck established. Bang some bodies, get the legs pumping. Quick line changes, a steady diet of trap and attack when teams make a mistake. It's a system that relies heavily on patience and pouncing on mistakes--imagine a coiled snake waiting for it's prey to wonder into it's strike range--unaware of the impending doom.

If the Penguins are in the lead or if they are dominating you can expect allittle more recklessness and focus on the trap. Teams usually counter that with sustained forechecking that exposes the lack of toughness and experiance on our blueline. They usually get into penalty trouble when this happens. Thsi is not by design however, :lol: , what Therrian wants to see is the centers BACK and HITTING but they never do enough of it. Sid and Zhenia want more goals to satisfy them and defenseive responsibility is rarely on the menu when the team has the lead. That will change in time.

When the Pens are trailing they will try to force the puck on the rush out of their own end as much as possible, only dumping when it's a checking line.
Thanks
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fast B on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07 pm

It's Marc-Andre's birthday. Happy birthday, Flower!
Hope you get a win this time around.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Gaucho, is the audio working for you on TVU?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:09 pm

Nope, no sound for me either. The radio feed is *almost* in sync, though.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corban87 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:10 pm

Let's Go Pens!!!
Corban87

Postby Corban87 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Army!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Corban87

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

COLBY!!!!!
NIN

Postby Geezer on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Really happy for Colby
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 pm

hey what's the comcast hd channel?
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:12 pm

Wow, sounds like the radio sync is almost a minute behind.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corban87 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:12 pm

Thats great! Sid on the ice for 15 secs and gets a pt :shock:
Corban87

Postby yeltzen on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:12 pm

I guess the joke got old for the hockey gods. Image
yeltzen

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:12 pm

Man, this is so good for him! And for the team. And for us. And me. And the deers. And everybody.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 66871 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:12 pm

finally!!! colby!!

Postby cde1024 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:13 pm

yeah colby just scored on the nhl radio feed. like 3 minutes behind
cde1024
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins