The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby beerman on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:41 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I would love to see "Wrestling Wars" made into a game, but I don't know if there are enough old WWF fans on here. PLENTY of material for writeups and such


lol I thought about doing this, I even mentioned although I was completely serious when we were coming up with a theme before Hollywood Wars.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,224
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:19 pm

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:17 pm

steve784 wrote:One more thing I wanted to mention about last night.......did it bother anyone else that the TNA crowd was essentially a watered-down wannabe old-school ECW crowd?



Yea TNA needs to move out of the impact bingo zone.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby PensFanBryan on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:55 pm

steve784 wrote:I thought TNA did a fairly decent job. The first match, that cage match or whatever, was just terrible......even their fans dumped on it when it was over. Other than that I thought they picked it up. Their women's matches are infinitely better than WWE's, and the main event was fantastic. The old-nWo stuff I can do without.....they're just too old.

I thought Raw was a little bit of a letdown. The Bret Hart stuff was pretty good, but I was surprised he wasn't utilized a little more than he was. The rest of the show was average. Will be interested to see what the ratings for these shows were.

TNA may have swung me to keep watching for just a bit longer.


I agree with about everything you said. I actually thought TNA was boring, until the Angle/Styles match. But that Match was better than anything Raw had to present. TNA really needs to clean house. Alot of their talent (with their current gimmicks) just arent worth keeping around. Also, i'm 99% they need to drop the X division & the Knockouts. I dont really understand the X division, they have all these crazy cage matches, and none of them are entertaining, yet they push the X division as their mainstay. Knockouts, how many of them are actually men? And you hit RAW & Brett Hart right on the head. I was disappointed with the matches & the Brett Hart content, considering how important a night it was. I guess Vince McMahon didn't really look at it as an important night.

The only thing I learned last night though, was that TNA just doesnt have the talent, and WWE isnt affraid of TNA one bit. Although i thought it was a plus that Hulk Hogan didnt win the championship on his first night (as opposed to his first night on WCW). I vow that if they bring back NWO, I will never watch TNA again. The NWO was the beginning of the end for WCW. It wasnt too bad when it was just the four of them, but it just became boring when they started recruiting everyone in the locker room to be in the NWO, then they branched off into multiple factions.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,914
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:42 am
Location: Saxonburg, PA

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:00 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I would love to see "Wrestling Wars" made into a game, but I don't know if there are enough old WWF fans on here. PLENTY of material for writeups and such


i honestly thought that's what this thread was when i opened it last night. lol
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,392
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby Kicksave on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Just watching the first match of Raw before I go to bed and Evan Borne is pretty good. That said, if they're going to give Shameus the belt, can he do more than just beat up on lesser wrestlers?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby steve784 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Kicksave wrote:Just watching the first match of Raw before I go to bed and Evan Borne is pretty good. That said, if they're going to give Shameus the belt, can he do more than just beat up on lesser wrestlers?


He is definitely good, but they've made him nothing more than a glorified jobber the last few months.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:20 pm

So they are trying to turn Orton face now.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 pm

SolidSnake wrote:So they are trying to turn Orton face now.


I watched the last hour or so...a few things (remember, I don't watch Raw constantly now).

1) Do you think they are trying to turn him face just because of the Sheamus kick to the face? Or also because of the whole thing with Legacy?

2) Can someone tell me when Chris Masters became a lame babyface?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,494
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:27 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:So they are trying to turn Orton face now.


I watched the last hour or so...a few things (remember, I don't watch Raw constantly now).

1) Do you think they are trying to turn him face just because of the Sheamus kick to the face? Or also because of the whole thing with Legacy?

2) Can someone tell me when Chris Masters became a lame babyface?

I think they are trying to turn Sheamus into a *** and the crowd seems to be pro Orton, I think Legacy will prob split up soon, I see something happening at the Rumble to further cement that.

I don't mind seeing Masters as a babyface, I think he was a heel his first stint in the company as well, so why not try something diff. I think he did a good job as a face imo.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:28 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:So they are trying to turn Orton face now.


I watched the last hour or so...a few things (remember, I don't watch Raw constantly now).

1) Do you think they are trying to turn him face just because of the Sheamus kick to the face? Or also because of the whole thing with Legacy?

2) Can someone tell me when Chris Masters became a lame babyface?


1) Orton's character has always sucked. The only time he was even interesting was when he pulled away from the original Legacy.

2) When he stopped taking the 'roids!!!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,634
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby steve784 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 pm

SolidSnake wrote:So they are trying to turn Orton face now.


I disagree. They're definitely not trying to turn Orton face. Orton as a face right now would make no sense whatsoever (also, I really don't see how he can be a face at this point barring a long injury/surprise comeback like Triple H pulls every other year or so).....I think it's just a matter of when you put Orton up against Sheamus, even if you don't like both you at least respect Orton. He's going to be cheered in this match without a doubt. I think we're going to see Legacy somehow inadvertently cost Orton the title at the Rumble, leading to the breakup that's been teased for so long, and possibly something like Orton vs. Dibiase at Mania.

On a sidenote, I watched TNA last week again, and actually thought it was better than the 1/4 show. The opening tag match with some team called Generation Me and the Motor City Machine guns was the best tag match I've seen in a lonnnnng time. Additionally, Mr. Kennedy (now Anderson) debuted with the company on Sunday at their PPV......this makes me even more interested. Oh yeah, and also, they finally changed to the traditional 4-sided ring instead of that stupid hexagon thing.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

steve784 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:So they are trying to turn Orton face now.


I disagree. They're definitely not trying to turn Orton face. Orton as a face right now would make no sense whatsoever (also, I really don't see how he can be a face at this point barring a long injury/surprise comeback like Triple H pulls every other year or so).....I think it's just a matter of when you put Orton up against Sheamus, even if you don't like both you at least respect Orton. He's going to be cheered in this match without a doubt. I think we're going to see Legacy somehow inadvertently cost Orton the title at the Rumble, leading to the breakup that's been teased for so long, and possibly something like Orton vs. Dibiase at Mania.

On a sidenote, I watched TNA last week again, and actually thought it was better than the 1/4 show. The opening tag match with some team called Generation Me and the Motor City Machine guns was the best tag match I've seen in a lonnnnng time. Additionally, Mr. Kennedy (now Anderson) debuted with the company on Sunday at their PPV......this makes me even more interested. Oh yeah, and also, they finally changed to the traditional 4-sided ring instead of that stupid hexagon thing.


Yea that could be the case, I just figured since with the push of Sheamus, the Big Show as a heel the emergence of The Miz, Rhodes or Dibiase or both remaining heel that Orton could be in for a face turn. BTW I want The Miz's new shirt lol


Yea that hexagon ring was too much of a UFC type thing and it was much smaller too, wasn't it?
Last edited by SolidSnake on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:38 pm

The only problem with that, Steve, is that I don't see Ted DiBiase as a top carder yet. Randy Orton is permanent top card status......no question about it. Can Dibiase legitimately pull that off? Quite frankly, I would love to see a complete shock at the Rumble, but I know that won't happen.

Orton as a face = horrible, horrible idea. He is way too good at the heel side of things, and playing him off as a face would just not be believable.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,494
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby PittPensFan on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The only problem with that, Steve, is that I don't see Ted DiBiase as a top carder yet. Randy Orton is permanent top card status......no question about it. Can Dibiase legitimately pull that off? Quite frankly, I would love to see a complete shock at the Rumble, but I know that won't happen.

Orton as a face = horrible, horrible idea. He is way too good at the heel side of things, and playing him off as a face would just not be believable.


Orton as a face is not a good idea. He wasn't a good face when he feuded with Triple H (when he still sort of cared) and Ric Flair (who, even though he's old is still awesome).
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,151
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:52 pm
Location: I break-a your face!

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby steve784 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:42 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The only problem with that, Steve, is that I don't see Ted DiBiase as a top carder yet. Randy Orton is permanent top card status......no question about it. Can Dibiase legitimately pull that off? Quite frankly, I would love to see a complete shock at the Rumble, but I know that won't happen.

Orton as a face = horrible, horrible idea. He is way too good at the heel side of things, and playing him off as a face would just not be believable.


No, he's definitely not a top carder, but Randy Orton has shown with Kofi Kingston that he is fantastic at legitimizing anyone he gets entered into a serious program with regardless of their current position on the card. I think if they could build a DiBiase/Orton program for Mania it would definitely elevate DiBiase big time. This is why I love Orton. The true test of a great wrestler is someone that's able to boost his opponent into another level, thus boosting themselves (which obviously was the death of WCW, too many old cronies hanging onto their spot).
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:43 pm

I got my wife to watch the last 25 minutes of Raw last night....she was sucked in by the Jon Heder storyline..

By the end of the show, she was THIS CLOSE to saying she wanted to watch it next week haha
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,494
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Very, very great point Steve.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,494
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby PittPensFan on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:44 pm

steve784 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:The only problem with that, Steve, is that I don't see Ted DiBiase as a top carder yet. Randy Orton is permanent top card status......no question about it. Can Dibiase legitimately pull that off? Quite frankly, I would love to see a complete shock at the Rumble, but I know that won't happen.

Orton as a face = horrible, horrible idea. He is way too good at the heel side of things, and playing him off as a face would just not be believable.


No, he's definitely not a top carder, but Randy Orton has shown with Kofi Kingston that he is fantastic at legitimizing anyone he gets entered into a serious program with regardless of their current position on the card. I think if they could build a DiBiase/Orton program for Mania it would definitely elevate DiBiase big time. This is why I love Orton. The true test of a great wrestler is someone that's able to boost his opponent into another level, thus boosting themselves (which obviously was the death of WCW, too many old cronies hanging onto their spot).



You mean to say that guys like Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan don't put other guys over? Blasphemy! :lol:
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,151
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:52 pm
Location: I break-a your face!

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby Kicksave on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:47 pm

If Randy Orton had a fraction of personality, he'd probably be one of the best all time. However, I can't see him not in the same sort of role he is now and be any good at it.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby steve784 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Heder/Johnson were much more entertaining hosts than I thought they would be, but they HAVE to end this guest host crap. I'm so tired of it......every week the guest hosts who will never be on WWE again get put over ahead of the stars they're trying to build. Like last week, when HBK was literally getting out-wrestled by Mike Tyson for a solid 2 minutes. That was a complete joke. If I'm a casual fan watching for the first time, I'm made to believe that HBK can't hold his own in a contest he's supposed to be amazing at with an out of shape, washed up boxer? I'm also sick of the Bella Twins. Please fire them. Yeah, they're good looking, but seriously what are they? The guest host's 'escort' every week? Sometimes their booking just baffles me. For example.....I'm supposed to believe that Big Show even felt Hornswoggle frog splashing him?

Haha, sorry, Raw just infuriates me these days. The Miz, Orton and Kingston are the only things that keep me watching......well, that and watching is just habbit at this point.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:00 pm

steve784 wrote:Heder/Johnson were much more entertaining hosts than I thought they would be, but they HAVE to end this guest host crap. I'm so tired of it......every week the guest hosts who will never be on WWE again get put over ahead of the stars they're trying to build. Like last week, when HBK was literally getting out-wrestled by Mike Tyson for a solid 2 minutes. That was a complete joke. If I'm a casual fan watching for the first time, I'm made to believe that HBK can't hold his own in a contest he's supposed to be amazing at with an out of shape, washed up boxer? I'm also sick of the Bella Twins. Please fire them. Yeah, they're good looking, but seriously what are they? The guest host's 'escort' every week? Sometimes their booking just baffles me. For example.....I'm supposed to believe that Big Show even felt Hornswoggle frog splashing him?

Haha, sorry, Raw just infuriates me these days. The Miz, Orton and Kingston are the only things that keep me watching......well, that and watching is just habbit at this point.


hahaha you are so right on so many levels. Especially the stupid Hornswoggle "tadpole splash"...........unreal.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,494
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

What's up with Bret Hart? Is he going to be on again?
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,888
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Hiding Jagr in the basement

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby steve784 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:16 pm

JarkkoVision wrote:What's up with Bret Hart? Is he going to be on again?


Without a doubt.......I think they're trying to keep it under wraps at this point so people tune in no matter what.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 pm

steve784 wrote:Heder/Johnson were much more entertaining hosts than I thought they would be, but they HAVE to end this guest host crap. I'm so tired of it......every week the guest hosts who will never be on WWE again get put over ahead of the stars they're trying to build. Like last week, when HBK was literally getting out-wrestled by Mike Tyson for a solid 2 minutes. That was a complete joke. If I'm a casual fan watching for the first time, I'm made to believe that HBK can't hold his own in a contest he's supposed to be amazing at with an out of shape, washed up boxer? I'm also sick of the Bella Twins. Please fire them. Yeah, they're good looking, but seriously what are they? The guest host's 'escort' every week? Sometimes their booking just baffles me. For example.....I'm supposed to believe that Big Show even felt Hornswoggle frog splashing him?

Haha, sorry, Raw just infuriates me these days. The Miz, Orton and Kingston are the only things that keep me watching......well, that and watching is just habbit at this point.


Vinnie Mac loves the Bella Twins they aren't going anywhere lol
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: The new Monday night war...

Postby steve784 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Vinnie Mac loves the Bella Twins they aren't going anywhere lol


Haha I don't know why they annoy me so much......they just serve no purpose whatsoever.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, LeopardLetang, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, NashvilleCat, OutofFoil, Pitts, Rocco and 7 guests


e-mail