Orpik is good tradebait

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:42 pm

kirk wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:
wm0712 wrote:lets get real guys... brooks is going nowhere, he'll be here next year when he might be able to be the 6th dman... it will probably be gonchar whitney eaton welch letang and orpik... looks alot better without melichar and scuderi

It would look even better without Gonchar. I can only hope that as soon as Malkin gets on his feet, Gonchar is out the door.

Phoenix is hurting big time.....how bout' Gonchar for Ballard. :D

I'd go the other way myself and see if Wayne could be persuaded to take Malone and Orpik for Boynton . . . :lol:

How about Malone, Gonchar and.......Mango Salsa for Comrie and Ballard (and all our problems are solved!!! woo hoo!!!)
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:46 pm

Actually I meant to say Malone, Salsa, and Gonchar for Ballard and Saprykin....sorry (F-Comrie).
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:50 am

Wow, these last few trade proposals, serious ones and fake ones (at least I hope they were fake) are ridiculous...wow, some of the worst I've ever seen...
Normally I go around and correct people's trade proposals, but these are so bad it's not even worth it...please stop making them, you're making everyone here stupider...because some idiot will read that and think that it's ok, and then they'll think "wow, if that works, then I'll push it slightly more in our favor" or just further the unfounded hate that we have for some reason...(Gonchar, Whitney, Malone, Orpik, et al) you guys are ridiculous, I say it everyday now...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby doublem on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:44 am

ziggystardust wrote:
magnum wrote:We likely wouldn't get much in return for Orpik.

If we got that much in return we'd have ripped someone off.

I dont know everyone on this board says that we should trade our entire D. Yes, they arent the greatest in their own end but they are much improved over last year, just look at the GAA. You people have to understand this is a young team that has to grow together. You learn D it just doesnt happen over night. And Melichar sucks, Thank You very much.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby doublem on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:49 am

mikey287 wrote:Wow, these last few trade proposals, serious ones and fake ones (at least I hope they were fake) are ridiculous...wow, some of the worst I've ever seen...
Normally I go around and correct people's trade proposals, but these are so bad it's not even worth it...please stop making them, you're making everyone here stupider...because some idiot will read that and think that it's ok, and then they'll think "wow, if that works, then I'll push it slightly more in our favor" or just further the unfounded hate that we have for some reason...(Gonchar, Whitney, Malone, Orpik, et al) you guys are ridiculous, I say it everyday now...

I agree its like people wake up and say what can I say today that makes no sense. More people around here need to realize they dont understand hockey.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:59 am

What I wonder is how people can seriously post stuff like "XXX player is not NHL caliber, they are a minor leaguer at BEST" and then follow it with some proposal about how we should just trade them to another team for a player that the poster obviously feels would be a good fit here. Did the entire NHL suddenly become retarded? Why in God's name would ANYONE take some player from us that you honestly believe is NOT NHL caliber. If that is the case, then WHO DO YOU THINK WILL TAKE THEM?? Common sense please...
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:25 am

Antonio wrote:What I wonder is how people can seriously post stuff like "XXX player is not NHL caliber, they are a minor leaguer at BEST" and then follow it with some proposal about how we should just trade them to another team for a player that the poster obviously feels would be a good fit here. Did the entire NHL suddenly become retarded? Why in God's name would ANYONE take some player from us that you honestly believe is NOT NHL caliber. If that is the case, then WHO DO YOU THINK WILL TAKE THEM?? Common sense please...

If you are referring to me, and I have to assume you are, my blah blah blah for blah blah blah comment above was a joke. It was very foolish of me to assume that others posters would be able to read the blatent sarcasm in it. I apologize. It is also my mistake in assuming that you yourself would exercise alittle common sense and read the entire thread before commenting on one particular post, because if you did, you would see that the ridiculas trade proposals to Phoenix came from some sarcastic comments about Gonchar.

I have not however catigorized anyone on this team as "a minor leaguer at best" or "not NHL calibre", where you are pulling that BS from is beyond me.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:20 am

PensBeerGeek wrote:Why would you want to give up the blueliner with a genuine mean streak that we have on this team?

Um, we are talking about Orpik...

HA!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Orpik is good tradebait

Postby bigkam on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:55 am

FuturePens wrote:Orpik in my opinion is at best a WBS player, not NHL caliber. I always thought that, but after last nights game I'am 150% certain that he is nothing more than a liability to our team. His puckhandling, passing, and responsibility on D, is F+ , AT BEST.

I would downgrade him or trade him as soon as possible and give Micky D. a chance with Alan N. on the same line. Who would you choose to replace him until Eaton comes back? I think he could be good trade bait for a left winger...your thoughts

If he's not even NHL-caliber in your opinion, how is he "good tradebait"?

This one boggles my mind. I don't think we could get a bag of rocks for him with the way he has played as of late.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:58 am

They should just cut the entire defense except Eaton and start over!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:27 pm

doublem wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Wow, these last few trade proposals, serious ones and fake ones (at least I hope they were fake) are ridiculous...wow, some of the worst I've ever seen...

I agree its like people wake up and say what can I say today that makes no sense. More people around here need to realize they dont understand hockey.

I totally agree...it almost makes me want to go into a Therrien-like rant...

"You know, these posters here, ya know, they give, you know, 40%, 50% and you wish you'd only have to read 40% or 50% of their posts...pfft...you know, it's like they try to be the worst posters in the league...their logic is full of holes, their trade proposals are soft, I've never seen such terrible trade proposals in my career...pfft...Thank God for doublem and arizonahotrock they're posting well for us, thank God for them..."
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:34 pm

netwolf wrote:Hmmm.... Orpik has a bad game. All of the sudden the "Orpik is a waste" train that has been silent is suddenly full steam ahead. Odd...
You knew it was coming, not like radar was needed lol
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:38 pm

wallflower wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:
netwolf wrote:Hmmm.... Orpik has a bad game. All of the sudden the "Orpik is a waste" train that has been silent is suddenly full steam ahead. Odd...

I was just thinking the same

Make that three of us.

If there's a knee jerk reaction to be had around here lately, people jump all over one another to do it first.
All it takes is one person to fire a post and they all jump in. Funny part is they all believe that they can fix this team right now with one or two moves.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bum4T1 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:45 pm

Spoink wrote:

Orpik has had a__whole lot__of bad games. Who the hell are you trying to kid? Get real on this issue, please.

The guy is almost totally useless, now that the new rules don't allow
the headhunting-hitting that Orpik did in the past. And even then,
he usually threw himself way out of position by going out of his way to make 'hits'. He is just absolutely atrocious in our defensive zone .. really, really horrible.

And the fact that Therrien is--scratching--Scuderi for the Rangers game tonight while__playing__Orpik .. is just absurd. Orpik should be the one scratched tonight .. no question about it. It's yet-another no-brainer that Therrien "doesn't seem to get". I am getting more-and-more sick of Therrien by the day. And his line-andposition juggling is INSANE, and is destructive to this team. It has__destroyed__any chance we might have had at developing any cohesion or chemistry.

Not to sound like an ass, but why do all of your posts have underlines __like__ this. It just seems odd to me why you wouldn't just use the bold, italicize or underline functions on the board? Sorry for asking, just curious.
Bum4T1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Brooks Orpik is in his 3rd year at the NHL level. Go find me a 3rd year NHL defenseman that doesn't have bad games. Furthermore, this team has several players that have bad games more often than Orpik does.

Everyone complained about the organization's job of development under Patrick, but everyone is also quick to permanently cast judgement on a player without seeing how he does with Shero at the helm.

Orpik is far from perfect and his decision-making makes me question whether he'll ever maximize his potential. His passing when pressured has been well documented here. However, he's the most mobile defenseman currently on the roster and he will finish his checks. He has tools.

Maybe he's as good as he'll ever be. Maybe he isn't. Maybe he gets dealt tomorrow. Maybe he plays here another 5 years. I'm just glad a guy like Shero is making that call and not someone as__shortsighted__as some posters here.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins