Penguins @ Thrashers Official Game Thread 12.09.06

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby 68forever on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:50 pm

Jim wrote:BIGGEST NEWS OF THE GAME

The Pens outshot Atlanta 43-23

THAT is how you win games!

I saw that to and had to go back and reread to scoreboard b/c i thought i was seeing things. Now do that most nights and more wins are sure to come way to finally shoot the puck, to bad it wasn't at home so we all could save our voices from yelling shoooooooooot alll the time. hehe
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:50 pm

maybe the best part about the win is that we overcame lehtonen playing out of his mind. we got robbed on several of those 43 shots and still got the W. very big win.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tom_servo on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Pens used to win games all the time while getting outshot.

It's the quality, not quantity, that's important. Although, sometimes quantity is quality.
tom_servo

Postby ziggo on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Our defense has held its own this year. If we had a couple more goal scorers besides Crosby and Malkin, we would have 10 more points at least, this year.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DZPens40 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:52 pm

tom_servo wrote:Pens used to win games all the time while getting outshot.

It's the quality, not quantity, that's important. Although, sometimes quantity is quality.

Sometimes it's best to just shoot. It's not always the RIGHT play, but it's never the WRONG play
DZPens40
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 68forever on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:52 pm

tom_servo wrote:Pens used to win games all the time while getting outshot.

very true but when they just refuse to go in sometimes the more you shoot the odds get better that ones going to go in.
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:56 pm

ziggystardust wrote:

and in the mean time, Melichar has been busy shutting down the best offensive players in the eastern conference.... but most penguin fans don't notice or care about that.

you mean shutting down crosby and malkin by putzing around in his own end and not making a breakout pass to save his life right?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DZPens40 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:56 pm

Very much needed these 2 points tonight, because the Rangers and Devils both won, and right now the Islanders are going to the shootout
DZPens40
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dagny on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:57 pm

Mr. T wrote:
Jim wrote:
NIN wrote:
DrBoni wrote:Wow, this Trenni lady is terrible. Could be anymore obvious that she's reading from a teleprompter?

:evil: Let's see you do it better, jerkface!

I've seen her do St Louis sports too. They just change the city insert behind her.

You should all shut up, I was half joking about the Peter stuff, but Trenni is super hot, so cut her some slack.

:shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: *scratching head*... I just don't get it. If THAT'S HOT, some of you must be really sheltered.... :wink: :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bowser on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:58 pm

-- can someone please explain to me why Michel Ouellet, the slowest Penguins skater and weakest forward on defense has 4-5 shifts with less than 5 minutes to play in 3rd period and into OT?

-- good game by Christensen, Malkin and Armstrong.

-- What did Crosby do to deserve Recchi and Malone as his wingers?

-- I'm becoming less and less enamored with Dominic Moore's intellect as a hockey player. He takes his hand off his stick to hold a player way too often for my liking and just doesn't have the physical strength to be a quality third line center in this league.

-- good effort by Slow Joe to be more physical, he was still dropping bombs on his passes.

-- Ryan Whitney scores a goal, he must be a great defenseman.

-- Fleury needed to be more aggressive on the third ATL goal. You just can't allow that pass from the corner of your crease to happen.

-- Isn't it a great thing to have a RH shooter on the power-play with Micki Dupont and brilliant move to finally start using Malone and Armstrong in front of the goalie. At some point, I'd like to see Malkin be presented with the opportunity to play at the right-point on the power-play and not Gonchar. Gonchar has a slap shot and one-timer that misses the net more than it goes in.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:02 pm

Bowser wrote:-- can someone please explain to me why Michel Ouellet, the slowest Penguins skater and weakest forward on defense has 4-5 shifts with less than 5 minutes to play in 3rd period and into OT?

-- I'm becoming less and less enamored with Dominic Moore's intellect as a hockey player. He takes his hand off his stick to hold a player way too often for my liking and just doesn't have the physical strength to be a quality third line center in this league.

-- good effort by Slow Joe to be more physical, he was still dropping bombs on his passes.

-- Fleury needed to be more aggressive on the third ATL goal. You just can't allow that pass from the corner of your crease to happen.

-- Isn't it a great thing to have a RH shooter on the power-play with Micki Dupont and brilliant move to finally start using Malone and Armstrong in front of the goalie. At some point, I'd like to see Malkin be presented with the opportunity to play at the right-point on the power-play and not Gonchar. Gonchar has a slap shot and one-timer that misses the net more than it goes in.

i thought Ouellet was pretty brutal as well. i never noticed how bad he is in his own end until tonight. him and moore do not mesh with staal at all.

i actually thought malone looked alot better tonight than on thursday.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 pm

Bowser wrote:-- I'm becoming less and less enamored with Dominic Moore's intellect as a hockey player. He takes his hand off his stick to hold a player way too often for my liking and just doesn't have the physical strength to be a quality third line center in this league.

Going into this game, Moore already had more PIMs this year than in all 82 games last season with the Rangers. Unless he got a couple of 10 minute misconducts that I don't remember, this is a telling statistic concerning his gameplay.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bowser on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:07 pm

On Malone - It doesn't hurt to have the best friggin player in the game making you look good. LIke I said, what did Crosby do to deserve both Recchi and Malone on his wings.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:08 pm

BurghThing wrote:Malkin, 1g 2a was the third star. Atlanta is a joke. I'm surprised they didn't give Vick the first star.

Tonight's three stars, as voted on by the Atlanta media:

1. Steve Rucchin
2. Shane Hnidy
3. Evgeni Malkin

No word on whether the Atlanta media was actually watching the game.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:12 pm

Bowser wrote:On Malone - It doesn't hurt to have the best friggin player in the game making you look good. LIke I said, what did Crosby do to deserve both Recchi and Malone on his wings.

Malone has been doing plenty on his own to look good since he came back from his injury. Tonight, he put a centering pass right on Crosby's stick as he was bearing down on Lehtonen, but Sid couldn't finish the play.

The only thing Malone hasn't done since he got back is put up points. Everything else is there. He's making good plays with the puck, he's backchecking well, he's battling on the wall, and he's skating. If he keeps doing all of that, the points are just a matter of time.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saleen66 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:14 pm

We didn't gain any ground on our division tonight. Damn other teams for not helping us out (Ottawa, Florida, and Boston).

Thanks a lot! :evil:
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:16 pm

That does suck, Saleen. But right now, the Pens are only three points out of the last spot with a game in hand on everyone. That team in 8th right now? The Crapitals, Monday's opponent. Another big game in two days. Let's Go Pens!!!
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:18 pm

-- can someone please explain to me why Michel Ouellet, the slowest Penguins skater and weakest forward on defense has 4-5 shifts with less than 5 minutes to play in 3rd period and into OT?

That was his guy that scored the 3rd goal. Offensively he played a good game and it's been made clear that they want to see if these young wingers are keepers are not. I agree with you , but I understand why they play whenever they can. Sheltering a 23 year old wont tell you anything about his character, We already know what Petro is about, he wont be traded.

Not so much EC, I did'nt see the effort on the forecheck. He kind of tapped at a few pucks but did'nt skate hard for them in the corners like a good winger can. I am not convinced that he will thrive as an NHL winger.

If you and I where his wingers we would have looked good last night. Malone made some decent passes but I was otherwise unimpressed, Recchi got some good shots away, he played well in his own end too.

I thought he got back to his former self in this one, he has his temper under controll and he was sharp on the PK. I think he is a great "new NHL" style center.

I agree, great in his own end tonight but he did'nt move the puck with alot of confidence.

It's an uncommon gift to read the play and join in like that. He does it 2-4 times a game without hurting his team defensively and it goes unnoticed. That time he cashed in for a HUGE goal. What a gamer that kid is.

He seen the guy comming down the slot and wanted to be prepared to move out to make the save. He did'nt expect the old bank the puck off the goalie pass. Live and learn, but if that late guy was picked up my Ouellet he does'nt need to cheat.

Yes it is, now if only they can find a righty shot with an actual shot, we will be in business.
NIN

Postby ziggo on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:24 pm

cs6687 wrote:That does suck, Saleen. But right now, the Pens are only three points out of the last spot with a game in hand on everyone. That team in 8th right now? The Crapitals, Monday's opponent. Another big game in two days. Let's Go Pens!!!

Maybe I'll get the Craps feed. " OVeee, scores" Fred Flinstone and Mister Slate, on the call.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby magnum on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:38 am

Mr. T wrote:
netwolf wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
netwolf wrote:Crosby was the first one off the bench to congratulate everyone.

Good win by the Pens. They kept working, kept going after Atlanta, and they eventually got rewarded with a great road win against a tough team.

I can't believe the player that Sid is becoming. His fire is unfreakingbelievable.

I think it was Draftnik that made a post earlier in the week that called Crosby "Michael Jordan on skates." Each game that looks to be more and more true.

He needs to stick his tounge out more then...

Let's just hope that Crosby doesn't put out crappy cologne like Jordan.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:48 am

magnum wrote:
Mr. T wrote:
netwolf wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:

Good win by the Pens. They kept working, kept going after Atlanta, and they eventually got rewarded with a great road win against a tough team.

I can't believe the player that Sid is becoming. His fire is unfreakingbelievable.

I think it was Draftnik that made a post earlier in the week that called Crosby "Michael Jordan on skates." Each game that looks to be more and more true.

And as much as I love the kid on the ice, I could do without seeing him in his drawers a la MJ.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby magnum on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:53 am

Fast B wrote:
magnum wrote:
Mr. T wrote:
netwolf wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:

And as much as I love the kid on the ice, I could do without seeing him in his drawers a la MJ.

Jordan's cologne was awful. It was like a mixture of Drakkur and massive ball sweat.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bum4T1 on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:58 am

ziggo wrote:
cs6687 wrote:That does suck, Saleen. But right now, the Pens are only three points out of the last spot with a game in hand on everyone. That team in 8th right now? The Crapitals, Monday's opponent. Another big game in two days. Let's Go Pens!!!

Maybe I'll get the Craps feed. " OVeee, scores" Fred Flinstone and Mister Slate, on the call.

I don't know for sure but I believe the Caps game is on Versus.
Bum4T1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ron` on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:59 am

WBS won too tonight 5-3 over Chicago. They played a pretty good game, but I can honestly say no one looked NHL ready.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:00 am

Bum4T1 wrote:
ziggo wrote:

I don't know for sure but I believe the Caps game is on Versus.

Si, senor. :D
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins