BALSILLIE DROPS OUT....UN-F'ING BELIEVABLE....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Peter on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:09 pm

YOu can't blame him. If I "buy a business" and somebody mandates how I run it, I would want out too.
Peter
 

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 pm

Corban87 wrote:WOW just WOW, I dont believe this...



So do you think the NHL saw Plan B and find it very viable?


I think that for the first time Bettman may have done something for the good of the league instead of the good of his pockets.
NIN
 

Postby Corban87 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 pm

NIN wrote:I just got done posting a prayer to God, and now this. I am extremely freaked out right now, goose bumps.


Dude, I know I was just reading that post right after you posted that :shock: :shock: :shock:
Corban87
 

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:11 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:It's nice to see Mario was willing to turn the reigns over to a guy with no intentions of keeping the team in Pittsburgh.


TWICE!

But let's not forget, IOC "is the only """"GAURENTEE""""'.
NIN
 

Postby Fast B on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Peter wrote:YOu can't blame him. If I "buy a business" and somebody mandates how I run it, I would want out too.


Uh, except pro sports in the US aren't private enterprises. For better or worse, a prospective owner has to be accepted into a club. Individual teams aren't competing businesses, they're different branches of the same business. If the league doesn't think he meets their conditions, they don't have to approve a sale. Simple as that.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,812
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Postby PensFanBryan on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:11 pm

dogwithshftyeyes wrote:in addition. i have a bad feeling that this means balsillie knows something about the IOC that we dont.


I think it makes me believe that IoC is in better position to win the slots liscense. We all knew at the beginning that if he bought the team, it was to move it. This makes me believe that IoC is front runner to get the liscense, and he doesnt want to be a part of the Pittsburgh Penguins... He wants to be a part of the Kitchner Rockets (or whatever).
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,914
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:42 am
Location: Saxonburg, PA

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:12 pm

Fast B wrote:
Peter wrote:YOu can't blame him. If I "buy a business" and somebody mandates how I run it, I would want out too.


Uh, except pro sports in the US aren't private enterprises. For better or worse, a prospective owner has to be accepted into a club. Individual teams aren't competing businesses, they're different branches of the same business. If the league doesn't think he meets their conditions, they don't have to approve a sale. Simple as that.


well said.
NIN
 

Postby Pitts on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:12 pm

NIN wrote:
Corban87 wrote:WOW just WOW, I dont believe this...



So do you think the NHL saw Plan B and find it very viable?


I think that for the first time Bettman may have done something for the good of the league instead of the good of his pockets.

All this means is that his intentions were to move the team. Period.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,027
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

i am absolutely dumbfounded
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,412
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:25 pm
Location: Fredericktown, PA

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:15 pm

Pitts wrote:
NIN wrote:
Corban87 wrote:WOW just WOW, I dont believe this...



So do you think the NHL saw Plan B and find it very viable?


I think that for the first time Bettman may have done something for the good of the league instead of the good of his pockets.

All this means is that his intentions were to move the team. Period.


Perhaps, but Bettman did not have to strong arm him, but he apparently did. I am thinking that Balsillie no longer likes EITHER plan. :shock:
NIN
 

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Sounds like good news to me. Or not?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,138
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Postby Corban87 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:I wonder if Lemieux and co would keep the team is IOC gets the slots license.


What if that was the plan the whole time? They were friends. Hummm
Corban87
 

Postby DelPen on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Gaucho wrote:Sounds like good news to me. Or not?


If the rumors are that the NHL would be willing to take over the franchise to keep them in Pittsburgh is true then yes, this is great news. The NHL has made a stand that they will not allow the Penguins to leave town.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 32,063
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Pitts on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:24 pm

NIN wrote:
Pitts wrote:
NIN wrote:
Corban87 wrote:WOW just WOW, I dont believe this...



So do you think the NHL saw Plan B and find it very viable?


I think that for the first time Bettman may have done something for the good of the league instead of the good of his pockets.

All this means is that his intentions were to move the team. Period.


Perhaps, but Bettman did not have to strong arm him, but he apparently did. I am thinking that Balsillie no longer likes EITHER plan. :shock:

What do you mean by strong arm him? Obviously Balsillie was talking out of both sides of his @s$ and Bettman was truthful with him.

On the other side, maybe Ballsy was hoping IoC didn't win so he could say no to plan B and move the team and he got a strong feeling IoC was going to get the license - thus forcing him to stay in Pittsburgh.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,027
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby the wicked child on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Holy **** indeed.

The plot thickens.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,699
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Pitts wrote:
NIN wrote:
Pitts wrote:
NIN wrote:
Corban87 wrote:WOW just WOW, I dont believe this...



So do you think the NHL saw Plan B and find it very viable?


I think that for the first time Bettman may have done something for the good of the league instead of the good of his pockets.

All this means is that his intentions were to move the team. Period.


Perhaps, but Bettman did not have to strong arm him, but he apparently did. I am thinking that Balsillie no longer likes EITHER plan. :shock:

What do you mean by strong arm him? Obviously Balsillie was talking out of both sides of his @s$ and Bettman was truthful with him.

On the other side, maybe Ballsy was hoping IoC didn't win so he could say no to plan B and move the team and he got a strong feeling IoC was going to get the license - thus forcing him to stay in Pittsburgh.


It was'nt too long ago that Bettman was singing in chorus with Balsillie and LG to "get a new arena" or there will be a lot of "uncertainty". NOW. His tune is that of eliminating that "uncertainy". It's like suddenly he is on the Penguin fans side, and not the money making side.

That's an interesting point of veiw. :shock:
NIN
 

Postby Maestro on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:28 pm

Shocker - People, Balsillie included, acted like this purchase was a done deal and just awaited aporval which would come easy enough since he's a billionaire. It seems clear Balsillie was going to move the team if IoC didn't get the slots and the NHL made it obvious to him that would be next to impossible to do if Plan B has any legs to it whatsoever.

This at least makes one thing obvious - the NHL is committed to keeping the team in Pittsburgh where it belongs. Good.

The plot thickens...
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,116
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:29 pm

This either means IOC was going to win and ruin Basille's plans

or

IOC was not going to win and Bettman ruined Basille's plans.

I think one or the other became definite.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,855
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Postby Corban87 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:29 pm

On the other side, maybe Ballsy was hoping IoC didn't win so he could say no to plan B and move the team and he got a strong feeling IoC was going to get the license - thus forcing him to stay in Pittsburgh.



Thats the ticket. Bettman and JB might both know that if IoC does not win then Plan B is "viable" enough for the Penguins to remain the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS!
Corban87
 

Postby Kicksave on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:30 pm

This sucks though because with the NHL saying they want the team in Pittsburgh regardless of what happens with the IOC, it takes the pressure off the gaming board to do the right thing.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Postby tluke53 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:30 pm

NIN wrote:
Pitts wrote:
NIN wrote:
Pitts wrote:
NIN wrote:
Corban87 wrote:WOW just WOW, I dont believe this...



So do you think the NHL saw Plan B and find it very viable?


I think that for the first time Bettman may have done something for the good of the league instead of the good of his pockets.

All this means is that his intentions were to move the team. Period.


Perhaps, but Bettman did not have to strong arm him, but he apparently did. I am thinking that Balsillie no longer likes EITHER plan. :shock:

What do you mean by strong arm him? Obviously Balsillie was talking out of both sides of his @s$ and Bettman was truthful with him.

On the other side, maybe Ballsy was hoping IoC didn't win so he could say no to plan B and move the team and he got a strong feeling IoC was going to get the license - thus forcing him to stay in Pittsburgh.


It was'nt too long ago that Bettman was singing in chorus with Balsillie and LG to "get a new arena" or there will be a lot of "uncertainty". NOW. His tune is that of eliminating that "uncertainy". It's like suddenly he is on the Penguin fans side, and not the money making side.

That's an interesting point of veiw. :shock:


Come on NIN, you know better than that. It's ALWAYS about the money. Longterm its in the NHL's interest to keep the team in the US so that they can market Sid and Geno to sale the game.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,590
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: All over the place

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:31 pm

There's simply no scenario that makes sense. If he didn't want a team in Pgh, and IoC won, he could still probably sell for a profit in a short period of time. If IoC lost, he should still have been willing to at least listen to Plan B and see what it was all about, before then bailing. If Plan B really did suck, I cannot imagine the league would have made him stay.

Something is seriously confusing here, for him to bail at this time. It doesn't figure that he couldn't wait another week to see what happens.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Postby tluke53 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:33 pm

I don't understand the part about the "NHL taking control of the team". What is that all about? That can't be a good thing.


Another Thing: Did Mario get the holding/negotiating money again? Maybe this the only way to make a profit. :P
Last edited by tluke53 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,590
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: All over the place

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:33 pm

tluke53 wrote:
NIN wrote:
Pitts wrote:
NIN wrote:
Pitts wrote:
NIN wrote:
Corban87 wrote:WOW just WOW, I dont believe this...



So do you think the NHL saw Plan B and find it very viable?


I think that for the first time Bettman may have done something for the good of the league instead of the good of his pockets.

All this means is that his intentions were to move the team. Period.


Perhaps, but Bettman did not have to strong arm him, but he apparently did. I am thinking that Balsillie no longer likes EITHER plan. :shock:

What do you mean by strong arm him? Obviously Balsillie was talking out of both sides of his @s$ and Bettman was truthful with him.

On the other side, maybe Ballsy was hoping IoC didn't win so he could say no to plan B and move the team and he got a strong feeling IoC was going to get the license - thus forcing him to stay in Pittsburgh.


It was'nt too long ago that Bettman was singing in chorus with Balsillie and LG to "get a new arena" or there will be a lot of "uncertainty". NOW. His tune is that of eliminating that "uncertainy". It's like suddenly he is on the Penguin fans side, and not the money making side.

That's an interesting point of veiw. :shock:


Come on NIN, you know better than that. It's ALWAYS about the money. Longterm its in the NHL's interest to keep the team in the US so that they can market Sid and Geno to sale the game.


:? I'm confused :?

I just pray the team stays here and gets a new rink.
NIN
 

Postby cojac on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:34 pm

Great news! Pens are staying :D
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,993
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Fire Bylsma!

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beveridge, DelPen, Durbano, Eismann, farnham16, Fire0nice228, FLPensFan, GDR, GSdrums87, Idoit40fans, iWonTheCup87, KG, kovyfalcon27, kypensfan, lemieuxReturns, Liverlips, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, murphydump55, NashvilleCat, Orlando Penguin, pens2005, pens_CT, PghSkins, Pitt87, Pitts, Puck Drama, RentedMule66, Row_Z, RxBandit66, saleen66, She'sTheFastest, skullman80, SoCalPenguin, The U, topshelf66, Waffles, winger and 184 guests

e-mail