BALSILLIE DROPS OUT....UN-F'ING BELIEVABLE....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby pens#1 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:09 pm

i just want to know about the slots license? why did the NHL do this now?
why would they promote IOC as the only way to guarantee the PENS in Pittsburgh and now come out and say they are staying no if ands or buts???

seems really shady
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:14 pm

NIN wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:It's nice to see Mario was willing to turn the reigns over to a guy with no intentions of keeping the team in Pittsburgh.

TWICE!

But let's not forget, IOC "is the only """"GAURENTEE""""'.

SHHHHH!

We're not supposed to talk about this dirty little secret.

And, actually, I think it's been three times they've tried to sell to entities with no interest in keeping the team in Pittsburgh. Balsillie's hush-hush group was one, Fingold was two, and now this is three.
Last edited by HomerPenguin on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:14 pm

Savran just said that Bettman just said that they need the IOC plan mre than ever.

It is like I said it would be months ago, one last roller coaster drop, one last twist of the gamming boards arm.

I hope it works, but either way they should still stay here.
NIN

Postby The U on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:21 pm

I think it's clear....Balsille wanted to get IOC or move the team. NHL said "you're not moving the team even if IOC doesnt win on the 20th".....so JB withdraws. In my opinion this is good news. The Pens were about to get an owner that clearly had NO QUALMS AT ALL about moving the team.

A month ago Mark Cuban said not buying the pens was a huge mistake on his part. I'd be shocked if he didnt re-enter the bidding. Whether it's Cuban or somebody else, lets hope it's a local group. It's really good news though that the NHL so clearly wants the pens to stay in Pittsburgh.

Playing devils advocate real quick: is there any chance the people voting on the slots say "hey, look, the NHL wont let the Penguins leave anyway, lets give the slots to somebody else, screw IOC."
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:25 pm

The U wrote:A month ago Mark Cuban said not buying the pens was a huge mistake on his part. I'd be shocked if he didnt re-enter the bidding. Whether it's Cuban or somebody else, lets hope it's a local group. It's really good news though that the NHL so clearly wants the pens to stay in Pittsburgh.

Mark Cuban also said that after the team was no longer for sale, keeping up his track record of looking to buy sports franchises only when they aren't for sale. I would love to see him come in and buy the team, but I'm not holding my breath.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rychster on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:27 pm

murf wrote:
Fast B wrote:
Peter wrote:YOu can't blame him. If I "buy a business" and somebody mandates how I run it, I would want out too.

Uh, except pro sports in the US aren't private enterprises. For better or worse, a prospective owner has to be accepted into a club. Individual teams aren't competing businesses, they're different branches of the same business. If the league doesn't think he meets their conditions, they don't have to approve a sale. Simple as that.

And Balsillie can say, the league didn't "meet" his conditions, wishes, expectations and pull his purchase agreement.

Who wouldn't want to own the Pens now? They have a bright future and with the right owner, they will flourish. Screw him!
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dman66 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:37 pm

i hope someone writes a book one day about all this. i truly believe that there is much more behind the scenes than what's being told. so many angles on this. didn't like balsille since the beginning, had bad thoughts on him. he just didn't seem right. we'll see if cuban takes this bait, it would be nice, but i won't hold my breath
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:42 pm

I didn't read what is posted at TSN.ca. On SC and That's Hockey they said the NHL introduced new terms on the sale to both Balsillie and the Lemieux Group LLP. Basically JB had to keep the team in Pittsburgh. It sounded like the TSN guys were spinning but apparently the vote on JB was supposed to happen Monday or Tuesday this week and when it didn't Dregger thought something was up.

The bottom line is there is no reason for the NHL to rush the approval of this sale before the slots license is awarded. There also is no reason for a purchaser to agree to a price before the license is awarded. The only party that stood to benefit with the Pens sale being approved for $175M was the Lemieux Group LLP. The value of the franchise will be less in Pittsburgh without the IoC deal if CP2's information is correct.

On the other hand Gary Bettman did not sell out Pittsburgh as CP2 said he did, on the contrary he protected Pittsburgh, so CP2 does not know everything.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm

I love how so many people are making such such definitive statements as if anyone has ANY idea what is going on right now. :lol:

I said it before, and I'll say it again: the ride ain't over folks. Sit back and try to enjoy it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:48 pm

netwolf wrote:I love how so many people are making such such definitive statements as if anyone has ANY idea what is going on right now. :lol:

I said it before, and I'll say it again: the ride ain't over folks. Sit back and try to enjoy it.

I'm getting alittle naseous... :?
NIN

Postby Draftnik on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:50 pm

netwolf wrote:I love how so many people are making such such definitive statements as if anyone has ANY idea what is going on right now. :lol:

Yes, there have been and will be many ups and downs and false starts and stops. The timing of the approval always made no sense since the slots license award is days away and the valuation of the franchise can change drastically.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:52 pm

NIN wrote:

How is that possible? You've claimed to know how this ends all along...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shawnlesky on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:54 pm

opie22002 wrote:Do you think there is a chance that Ballsillie will reenter the bidding if the IOC gets the license next week?

If the IoC wins, there's no reason to sell the team if you're the Lemieux Group. I mean, it's a guaranteed bankroll.
shawnlesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:57 pm

netwolf wrote:
NIN wrote:

How is that possible? You've claimed to know how this ends all along...

Knowing and experiancing are two different things. I made an educated guess months ago that they would spring one last zinger on us, but with that date finnally upon us, it's alittle surreal. I'm alittle anxious, wont be long now.
NIN

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:58 pm

shawnlesky wrote:
opie22002 wrote:Do you think there is a chance that Ballsillie will reenter the bidding if the IOC gets the license next week?

If the IoC wins, there's no reason to sell the team if you're the Lemieux Group. I mean, it's a guaranteed bankroll.

That's what Sawyer means when he says, "We will revaluate it then."
NIN

Postby dman66 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:59 pm

shawnlesky wrote:

somebody said this all along. balsille trying to buy was just a smokescreen to put pressure. someone said this in a previous thread a long while ago. if it ever comes out that lemieux used jb to put pressure, and he winds up keeping the team, well, thats just smart on his part. not saying it happened, but...
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:00 pm

Draftnik wrote:Yes, there have been and will be many ups and downs and false starts and stops. The timing of the approval always made no sense since the slots license award is days away and the valuation of the franchise can change drastically.

At this point, I don't think I would find anything surprising short of the next potential owner hitting Mario with a chair at the next press conference.

The best thing is that you can take today's events and spin them to fit almost any theory that's been advanced to this point. About the only thing that this new wrinkle *seems* to prove is that Bettman and the league are pretty determined to keep the team in Pittsburgh. Someone once told me the NHL needs Pittsburgh more than Pittsburgh needs the NHL. Today's events would seem to back that up.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:01 pm

We'll never hear from NewArenaNow ever again. He's probably had a stroke by now.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:04 pm

I buy the BOG telling JB that they would not vote for him as an owner without a commitment to stay in Pittsburgh. I think that would be a deal breaker for him. He had no expectations of the IOC deal coming through and really always planned to thumb his nose and move the team. As I said once before, you could tell by his eyes he was lying. The see you in court comment was a nail in his BOG vote coffin.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Draftnik wrote:he bottom line is there is no reason for the NHL to rush the approval of this sale before the slots license is awarded. There also is no reason for a purchaser to agree to a price before the license is awarded. The only party that stood to benefit with the Pens sale being approved for $175M was the Lemieux Group LLP. The value of the franchise will be less in Pittsburgh without the IoC deal if CP2's information is correct.

On the other hand Gary Bettman did not sell out Pittsburgh as CP2 said he did, on the contrary he protected Pittsburgh, so CP2 does not know everything.

Great points Draftnik. The Lemieux Group always seemed to be in a hurry to sell, and for good reason. The team was worth more when portability was a possibility and when IoC was a possibility. Now with the NHL saying that the team must stay put, the only way LG gets $175 mil for this franchise is if IoC wins.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shawnlesky on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 pm

dman66 wrote:
shawnlesky wrote:

somebody said this all along. balsille trying to buy was just a smokescreen to put pressure. someone said this in a previous thread a long while ago. if it ever comes out that lemieux used jb to put pressure, and he winds up keeping the team, well, thats just smart on his part. not saying it happened, but...

Agreed.
shawnlesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:16 pm

dman66 wrote:
shawnlesky wrote:

it was me I think. Makes sense if you think about. Unethical, but sensible. Being lied to is unethical too, so I guess fair is fair.
NIN

Postby Pitts on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:23 pm

dman66 wrote:
shawnlesky wrote:

Here, here ... that bwas me. I put forth the conspiracy theory that Lemiuex brought in Balsillie to pressure everyone into giving IoC the license.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:25 pm

NIN wrote:
dman66 wrote:
shawnlesky wrote:

it was me I think. Makes sense if you think about. Unethical, but sensible. Being lied to is unethical too, so I guess fair is fair.

And what would JB get out of this?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NIN on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:28 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
NIN wrote:
dman66 wrote:
shawnlesky wrote:

And what would JB get out of this?

That's the really shady part of it. Perhaps nothing, perhaps he already has something on the table.
NIN

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins