BALSILLIE DROPS OUT....UN-F'ING BELIEVABLE....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby tjand72 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Three Stars wrote:They just leaked the new logo.

That's beyond fantastic.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Marshall Dylan on Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:11 pm

The "NHL insists they stay in Pittsburgh" angle makes no sense.

Why would the NHL forfeit its leverage with no new arena? If they're staying no matter what, where's the incentive for local government to come up with a favorable arena plan?

The only thing that keeps the heat on is the threat of leaving.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:30 pm

Just about every angle we can come up with, has a part of it which makes no sense at all.

We are missing a very big part of the story, for sure.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby psubar12 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:32 pm

Three Stars wrote:They just leaked the new logo.

This is my new wallpaper. Happy Hanukkah.
psubar12

Postby BeanPole on Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:05 pm

Quote:
According to sources, some of the NHL's last-minute conditions would have permitted the league to buy back the club or take over arena negotiations with local officials if it did not like the way Balsillie was handing discussions.

Don't tell me Bettman is in on the payoff now, too?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
How much does the NHL commish make? Probably nothing compared to the $60 mill the two guys who wrote the gaming law are set to make if Harrah's wins.
BeanPole

Postby JDJ8766 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:02 am

Penguins' new owner?

Frank D’Angelo is at it again.

Rejected by the Canadian Football League as a potential owner for a new Ottawa franchise, the flamboyant Toronto businessman said yesterday that he and billionaire partner Dr. Barry Sherman want to buy the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins.

D’Angelo said they discussed the situation during a six-hour meeting Friday and decided to pursue a purchase.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... bac&k=2674
JDJ8766
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby edog on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:34 am

JDJ8766 wrote:Penguins' new owner?

Frank D’Angelo is at it again.

Rejected by the Canadian Football League as a potential owner for a new Ottawa franchise, the flamboyant Toronto businessman said yesterday that he and billionaire partner Dr. Barry Sherman want to buy the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins.

D’Angelo said they discussed the situation during a six-hour meeting Friday and decided to pursue a purchase.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... bac&k=2674

I'm not sure if I care for these constant Ontario connections.... 8-)
edog

Postby gruntov on Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:14 am

Yeah, right!
The NHL is going to approve an owner who can't even pass the scruitny of the CFL.

Sounds like an attention **ore to me! :roll:
gruntov

Postby DayWalker on Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:39 am

I am still trying to figure out why Balsillie backed out of this deal if Plan B is such a swell arrangement and guarantees the Penguins a better deal than they could possibly get elsewhere.

Thus, I suppose we might have to conclude one of the following:

A.) Balsillie never wanted to keep the team here under any circumstances and bailed when he came to believe-for whatever reason-that the IoC was going to prevail.

B.) Plan B is a fraud and/or is not as good of a deal a some on this board would like to believe.

C.) Other cities are potentially offering better deals than any of us could possibly know about.

D.) Balsillie wanted to move the team and was willing to sustain significant financial losses-arena construction costs, possible indemnification fees, litigation costs, etc.-for the foreseeable future to move them whever he wished.

At this point, what really is the point of our endless speculation? Nobody really knows anything, and people are simply going to believe whatever they want to believe.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby edog on Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:50 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:
Pghsports wrote:The Globe and Mail has a pretty decent article. It mostly says the same things as everyone else, but some of the quotes from "sources" near the bottom are interesting

Here's those quotes, and they are interesting:

QUOTE:

According to sources, some of the NHL's last-minute conditions would have permitted the league to buy back the club or take over arena negotiations with local officials if it did not like the way Balsillie was handing discussions.

The source added that Balsillie had no plans to move the team and was prepared to work with officials if the Isle of Capri bid fell through. However, the source said Balsillie felt he was in an impossible position given the NHL's conditions.

UNQUOTE

They are also contradictory. They said Balsillie had no plans to move the team, but would take over if they didn't think he was doing it right....huh? :shock: If he was committed to here, then what were they opposed to....
edog

Postby brwi on Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:47 am

edog wrote:[

They are also contradictory. They said Balsillie had no plans to move the team, but would take over if they didn't think he was doing it right....huh? :shock: If he was committed to here, then what were they opposed to....

I think it's probably the NHL said "we know you REALLY want to keep the team in Pittsburgh, Mr. Balsillie, but just in case you change your mind all of a sudden...." Sort of like want Ronald Reagan said: "trust but verify."

From the NHL's standpoint, it's a lot easier and cheaper to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh NOW by placing conditions on Balsillie's purchase than it is to approve his purchase and potentially have a court fight and all kind of BS happen down the road.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby edog on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:38 am

brwi wrote:
edog wrote:[

I think it's probably the NHL said "we know you REALLY want to keep the team in Pittsburgh, Mr. Balsillie, but just in case you change your mind all of a sudden...." Sort of like want Ronald Reagan said: "trust but verify."

From the NHL's standpoint, it's a lot easier and cheaper to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh NOW by placing conditions on Balsillie's purchase than it is to approve his purchase and potentially have a court fight and all kind of BS happen down the road.

Brad

I can go with this line of thinking. The last thing the NHL needs right now is an Al Davis kind of legal contest....
edog

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:09 am

This makes sense. They in a sense said to JB: since you are so committed to staying in Pittsburgh, then you won't mind merely putting it in writing for us, will you?

Evidently, his answer to that was "well, yes, I would mind".

Given this, why would the BOG ever believe him again, if he decides to re-enter a bid?
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guins on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:12 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:This makes sense. They in a sense said to JB: since you are so committed to staying in Pittsburgh, then you won't mind merely putting it in writing for us, will you?

Given this, why would the BOG ever believe him again, if he decides to re-enter a bid?
For all intents & purposes they called his bluff & he folded!
Guins

Postby penny lane on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:46 pm

Guins wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:This makes sense. They in a sense said to JB: since you are so committed to staying in Pittsburgh, then you won't mind merely putting it in writing for us, will you?

For all intents & purposes they called his bluff & he folded!

Why would Jim Basillie attend last evening's game after what
he did Friday? What purpose did that serve? By Joe Starkey's
accounts, he was in Waterloo friday, toronto and then onto Montreal.
Jet-set life & probably answers to no one ... obviously.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:55 pm

penny lane wrote:Why would Jim Basillie attend last evening's game after what
he did Friday? What purpose did that serve? By Joe Starkey's
accounts, he was in Waterloo friday, toronto and then onto Montreal.
Jet-set life & probably answers to no one ... obviously.

He was a guest of Habs owner George Gillette and sat in his private box per CBC. Gillette is obviously on the BOG. My guess is JB's purchase of the Pens isn't dead. There was some negotiating going on last night, olive branches extended, etc.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Purchase or no, it seems fairly clear that this team isn't portable, at least at the moment. However, I am pretty sure that the Tums supply in this region is getting perilously low, so I hope that IoC wins this darned license so that we don't have to continue to have heartburn.

Question is this: one of the papers today suggested that the decision for the Pittsburgh market might get delayed. If this happens, do we interpret this as a positive, or a negative?
Last edited by bill from turtle creek on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guins on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:11 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Purchase or no, it seems fairly clear that this team isn't portable, at least at the moment. However, I am pretty sure that the Tums supply in this region is getting perilously low, so I hope that IoC wins this darned license so that we don't have to continue to have heartburn.

Question is this: one of the papers today suggested that they decision for the Pittsburgh market might get delayed. If this happens, do we interpret this as a positive, or a negative?
Yes the Trib mentioned it in their story by Rob Rossi :roll: Take it with LARGE truckload of salt coming from him
Guins

Postby netwolf on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:53 pm

Guins wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:Purchase or no, it seems fairly clear that this team isn't portable, at least at the moment. However, I am pretty sure that the Tums supply in this region is getting perilously low, so I hope that IoC wins this darned license so that we don't have to continue to have heartburn.

Question is this: one of the papers today suggested that they decision for the Pittsburgh market might get delayed. If this happens, do we interpret this as a positive, or a negative?
Yes the Trib mentioned it in their story by Rob Rossi :roll: Take it with LARGE truckload of salt coming from him

Look at how long it's taken PA to go from legalizing slots to actually handing out a license for the City of Pittsburgh? I'm not saying the decision will be delayed, but I certainly won't be surprised if it is.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jasmine on Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:14 pm

As I said in another post, the Penguins, the NHL and even ESPN in a national broadcast said it's imperative that the IOC gets the license. ESPN even said "FREE ARENA TO THE CITY" - what's not to like?!! There is no way the Board can justify awarding Harrah's the license right now. IF, I say IF, the "fix" is in . . . then look for an excuse to delay their decision until the next crooked move it plotted. :evil:
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins