If I was Orpik, I would be salivating to play Cole again...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If I was Orpik, I would be salivating to play Cole again...

Postby SMTM on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:26 pm

[You couldn't say he was trying to break my neck," Cole said. "You could say it was a bad move on his part not to let up, to finish the hit the way he did. Unfortunately, the consequences from the league really are not that bad. Three games for him are like a holiday, three games without going out there and getting his lunch handed to him by the other teams in the league. Sounds like a pretty good tradeoff to me." ]

If some guy said that about me and my team, I would make a personal effort to exact as much suffering on that wise *** as possible. Talk about a load of crap. And to think I was rooting for the Canes in the playoffs. Punk.[/quote]
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:56 pm

Postby MariosMilitia on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:29 pm

thats funny, cole deserves to get that jab in, come on orpik did mess him up
MariosMilitia
 

Postby MarioLives on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:30 pm

You can't argue with what he said, it is the truth. After the effort I saw last night, this team is sorry.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Postby SportsFan on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:33 pm

Sorry, but Orpik is becoming a very questionable hitter. I remember a few years ago, a hit he put on Owen Nolan of Toronto was pretty low, Nathan Perrott chased him all over the oce to fight, but Orpik wouldnt go, which I think was gutless.
SportsFan
 

Postby yeltzen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:36 pm

Hopefully he lights him up next time they play against each other.
yeltzen
 

Re: If I was Orpik, I would be salivating to play Cole again

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:03 pm

SMTM wrote:[You couldn't say he was trying to break my neck," Cole said. "You could say it was a bad move on his part not to let up, to finish the hit the way he did. "


Eric... I've never said this on LGP before but STFU.

Others, including myself, feel he should have let up a bit, but you, you made a really STUPID decision. You have to take some of the blame. You looked right at him over your left shoulder, then you PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN and continued toward the boards, fainting right, and driving left, YOU lost the edge, YOU didn't avoid the hit but skated right squarely into the target zone.
Brooks held his hands down at his sides, Brooks did NOT shove into the boards, he checked you into the boards.

Eric, you can just STFU.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby conforto45 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:06 pm

maybe when Cole comes back, he can attack Orpik from behind.. ya know, punch the back of his head, and spike his head into the ice...

kind of like..... ahhh, forget it
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,354
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:37 am
Location: hopewell,pa

Postby Canes-KA14 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:49 pm

Before you roast Cole over the, well, coals... here's the first half of the quote that was conveniently left out:

Asked if he thought the hit was delivered with intent to injure, Cole replied, "No, absolutely not."

BTW, here is the full article: http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/416130.html
Canes-KA14
 

Postby Draftnik on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:26 pm

Cole sustained a compression fracture of his neck. Who knows if a little more force may have paralyzed him. There are no guarantees Cole will ever play again. His injury is very similar to the guy from the Isles that just retired because of a neck injury.

Cole is a fearless power forward. He is as tough as they come in the NHL. He isn't some ***** crying about a hit. This isn't a garden variety cheap shot, it could end his career. Cole has every right to be pi$$ed and the Canes have every right to be pi$$ed that their 2nd best forward was probably knocked out of the playoffs when they had a chance to make a Cup run by a guy on a last place team with nothing to play for in a game that was over for all practical purposes.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby jdev28 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:49 pm

Okay. I kinda like Cole's comments. Not because I agree or think he was right. I don't necessarily think he's wrong either. But anything that brings excitement to a Pens game is a plus the way their playing. I mean now the next game between the Pens and Canes has a little extra flavor. And considering the Pens could use any flavor they get, thats a pretty good thing.
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: the four one two

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:02 pm

Draftnik wrote:Cole is a fearless power forward. He is as tough as they come in the NHL.

Agreed so far.

Draftnik wrote:He isn't some ***** crying about a hit.


Ah, in that part of the quote, that's exactly what is happening.

Draftnik wrote: This isn't a garden variety cheap shot, it could end his career.

It wasn't a cheap shot at all. A dumb split second decision by BOTH parties that taken together has caused extremely unfortunate consequencies, but no way can it be categorized as a 'cheap shot' by anyone who knows anything about hockey.

Draftnik wrote: Cole has every right to be pi$$ed and the Canes have every right to be pi$$ed that their 2nd best forward was probably knocked out of the playoffs when they had a chance to make a Cup run by a guy on a last place team with nothing to play for in a game that was over for all practical purposes.


That's hockey. Go ahead, be pissed, but part of the blame goes to Cole (read my original comments)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Draftnik on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:41 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:It wasn't a cheap shot at all. A dumb split second decision by BOTH parties that taken together has caused extremely unfortunate consequencies, but no way can it be categorized as a 'cheap shot' by anyone who knows anything about hockey.

We can agree to disagree. Your "anyone" comment assumes plenty of knowledgeable parties are ignorant. Plenty of Carolina Hurricanes called it a cheap shot. They know more about hockey than either of us. One of the referees assessed a major penalty and game misconduct. That signifies cheap shot. The ref knows more than either of us. The NHL's Lord of Discipline suspended Orpik. That signifies cheap shot. Collie knows more than either of us. The only opinions that count passed judgement on Orpik and proclaimed him guilty.

Brooks Orpik shifted the balance of power in the Eastern Conference and helped determine the fate of the Stanley Cup as well as possibly ended the career of the preeminent American PF. It was cheap and the consequences are sickening on all levels.

Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:47 pm

As a Canes fan above pointed out...
asked if he thought the hit was delivered with intent to injure, Cole replied, "No, absolutely not."

And from Colin Campbell ...
"While it is apparent that there was no deliberate intent to injure on this play, Mr. Orpik's careless hit on his opponent resulted in a serious injury," said NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "Even if a player leaves himself vulnerable, the checking player does bear some responsibility in avoiding a hit on a defenseless opponent."
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Draftnik on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:53 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:"While it is apparent that there was no deliberate intent to injure on this play, Mr. Orpik's careless hit on his opponent resulted in a serious injury," said NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "Even if a player leaves himself vulnerable, the checking player does bear some responsibility in avoiding a hit on a defenseless opponent.



A hit on a defenseless opponent is ............ a cheap shot.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:02 am

Draftnik wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:"While it is apparent that there was no deliberate intent to injure on this play, Mr. Orpik's careless hit on his opponent resulted in a serious injury," said NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "Even if a player leaves himself vulnerable, the checking player does bear some responsibility in avoiding a hit on a defenseless opponent.



A hit on a defenseless opponent is ............ a cheap shot.


Lets just put skirts on them and play no contact then...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:18 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Draftnik wrote:A hit on a defenseless opponent is ............ a cheap shot.


Lets just put skirts on them and play no contact then...


Why'd you have to go that route? That's something randy/sabu would say.

No one would be saying anything about contact if he hit him head on. He hit him from behind. No matter what Cole did, Orpik hit him from behind and that's against the rules. No one is complaing about hitting in general - it's the hitting from behind.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,378
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:27 am

netwolf wrote: No one is complaing about hitting in general - it's the hitting from behind.


That's just the point. If you've played hockey, (and honestly I don't remember if you do) you'll undestand that Eric was headed straight for the boards at a right angle. Brooks knew he would have to turn either right or left, he aimed for dead center knowing he'd only catch a piece of Cole. Cole never moved. he fainted right, tried to cut left, lost an edge. It's a patented move he pulls - all the time. This time it left him vunerable.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:35 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
netwolf wrote: No one is complaing about hitting in general - it's the hitting from behind.


That's just the point. If you've played hockey, (and honestly I don't remember if you do) you'll undestand that Eric was headed straight for the boards at a right angle. Brooks knew he would have to turn either right or left, he aimed for dead center knowing he'd only catch a piece of Cole. Cole never moved. he fainted right, tried to cut left, lost an edge. It's a patented move he pulls - all the time. This time it left him vunerable.


I do play (if you can call it that). :D

And I get your point. However, Brooks was wrong because Cole didn't go right or left. I'm not saying he should have expected Cole to move the way he did; there's no way he could have.

My point is that everyone in the league know that hitting from behind is illegal and dangerous. That's why the little kids have stop signs sewn on to the back of their jerseys. When you're looking at a guy's back and are heading towards the wall, you can't line him up assuming that he's going to turn one way or the other and therefore, you won't hit him in the back.

Again, I don't think it was dirty and I don't think it was with intent to injure. It was just a little reckless. While Cole could have likely avoided it, his failure to do so has no bear on Orpik making a bad decision IMO.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,378
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


e-mail