Andy Conte from the Trib was just on Tim BenzÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s showÃ¢â‚¬Â¦Conte has been covering the slots process for the Trib since Lemieux was a rookie (or at least it's felt like it's been that long since this started).
Anyway, I got what I could out of this. Conte sounded like he was on his thirtieth cup of coffee. Needless to say, he was talking a lot faster than I could type.
- How does this work tomorrow?
Conte said he met with the board not long ago. Board went into a separate meeting room this afternoon to discuss all aspects of the slots license applicants, almost like a jury deliberating a court case. At 10:00 AM tomorrow, they reconvene in front of the media and will then likely announce all of their decisions.
- This is the part I'm not sure of, so if I'm wrong someone correct me. I believe he said an agreement must be reached between five of the seven. If I heard this correctly, four legislative members and one gubernatorial candidate must agree.
- The decision will very likely be made tomorrow. Conte said he was told BY THE BOARD that the decision will almost certainly be made tomorrow.
- Kevin McCabe (legislative appointee) and Sanford Rivers (gubernatorial appointee) are both from Pittsburgh. The rest are from the Eastern side of the state Ã¢â‚¬â€œ either northeastern (WB/S area) or the general Philly/Allentown areas.
- Hearing is scheduled for 10:00 AM. We should know relatively quickly (before noon) as to what is going on. Trib is planning to release an afternoon edition announcing the winner.
Like I said, I had to try and pick stuff up quickly because Conte was just flying through some of this stuff, and the interview was kind of tough to hear. Hopefully this offers a bit of insight to some of this stuff.