Official Gaming Board Decision Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Pens163 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:55 pm

careyz8 wrote:So lets see:
Heinz field: $264 million, no taxpayer money
PNC park: $274 million, no taxpayer money
both stadiums are used very very little compared to an arena that can be used 365 days a year.

Why doesn't this make any sense to me??? IoC was gift wrapping a $290 million arena and they award it to PITG, a group who really doesn't care about hockey.

I'm still blaming this on Rendell and his love for Philthadelphia

good point
Pens163

Postby Badger Bob on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:57 pm

scpensfan wrote:I blame CP.

WAKE. UP. CP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is all Howard Baldwin's fault!
Badger Bob
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Senka on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:57 pm

coming up on 30,000 views. wow.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stoosh on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:57 pm

well, from that statement, you can basically conclude that they are severing ties with IoC. That is good. However, they do not mention any willingness to jump right into Plan B negotiations.

They will evaluate the situation? What is there to evaluate. There were 2 outcomes, win or lose, and there has been plenty of time to realize what needs to happen in either case.

No more bureaucratic nonsense. Just put pressure...public pressure...on the regional government and get plan B hammered out and finalized, THEN begin the search for a new owner or (i hope) a new partner for Lemieux.

And if people thought the pressure put on the gaming board and the local officials to back the IoC plan was significant, they haven't seen anything compared to the pressure that will be put on Onorato and Ravenstahl to get Plan B done.

I'm going out to by a pitchfork and a few torches.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saveourpens on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:58 pm

****, if they even remotley used race as an incentive to give it to Barden because he was a minority... It just shows how **** up this country can be. **** old hags.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:59 pm

both stadiums are used very very little compared to an arena that can be used 365 days a year.

Why doesn't this make any sense to me??? IoC was gift wrapping a $290 million arena and they award it to PITG, a group who really doesn't care about hockey.

It's all about being politicaly correct, going against the two prominate bids and going with a minority based organization. You can't lose politically if it fails because you were simply opening oppurtunities for the community with a minority based company. God I hate this politically correct stuff.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eastonpensfan on Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:09 pm

The funny part is no one goes to PNC park.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Senka on Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:13 pm

eastonpensfan wrote:

The funny part is no one goes to PNC park.

I go opening day every year, and pay like $30... so i mean i go once? I attend Mellon like 30 a year tho... so yu weigh it.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:49 pm

Where do you get no tax payer money for Heinz Field and PNC Park? That is what p*ssed everyone off and why no one wants to use taxpayer money for the arena, because the polticos used taxpayer money to pay for it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Maestro on Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:02 pm

Where do you get no tax payer money for Heinz Field and PNC Park? That is what p*ssed everyone off and why no one wants to use taxpayer money for the arena, because the polticos used taxpayer money to pay for it.

I remember voting for a 1% sales tax increase before I moved - did that lose?
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CT Mechanic on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Stoosh wrote:

And if people thought the pressure put on the gaming board and the local officials to back the IoC plan was significant, they haven't seen anything compared to the pressure that will be put on Onorato and Ravenstahl to get Plan B done.

I'm going out to by a pitchfork and a few torches.

With You!

I found a sale on torches and pitchforks today at Target. I'm all stocked up! Let's roll...
CT Mechanic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kicksave on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:16 pm

So, was Conforto banned?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penscup on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:26 pm

Maestro wrote:

I remember voting for a 1% sales tax increase before I moved - did that lose?

Yes that vote lost, but there was a loophole found instead that was still used to fund the stadium. A quick review of that whole fiasco:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/20010415pncbuildtext9.asp

In the end taxpayers DID end up help paying for PNC Park even though they voted against it, so I don't know where the guy above is getting is info, but its wrong.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GeoTank on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:12 am

both stadiums got built with the 1% allegheny RAD tax (Regional Asset Development) the thing that got voted down was an extra 1/2% for the stadiums. The RAD tax also payed for the new convention center and i beleive they set aside 90mill for helping with a arena way back when. Never the less that 90mill and the 210 mill the state will pony up from the slot money could have gone to roads schools or any number of other usefull projects if they had just let IOC GIVE them an arena for nothing.

Mario should fly to KC and watch a Chief game on sunday. Stupid !@# state
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:25 am

scpensfan wrote:I blame CP.

WAKE. UP. CP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehe

Yeah I'm sure he's involved in this one way or another =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins