lulz @ going to School or what

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

lulz @ going to School or what

Postby Godric on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:59 am

I graduated High school this year. As I got my diploma I stood there thinking, "Holy **** I still have no idea what I am going to do". I still don't. I got accepted to Embry-Riddle probably for my SAT/ACT scores because god knows I didn't get accepted because of my GPA. I only applied to see if I could get in, I really don't feel like jumping balls first into debt and paying 40k a year. I could go to CCBC and transfer out.. Truthfully I don't even know if Aviation is what I want. I am just worried 2 years from now I am going to be 20 years old and still working my first job at a gas station.

I got this kick going that I want to find out information on becoming a Cameraman for a Movie Studio or for Journalism, I wouldn't care, as long as I don't film some lame reporter over exaggerating a little flood.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg3aGq50sR0
anyway...

sorry I wasted 20 seconds of your life

Oh... I guess you can reply about what was up when you were 18 or something idc

:scared:
Last edited by Godric on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: lulz @ going to School or what

Postby canaan on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:00 am

dont go into journalism. seriously.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:02 am

canaan wrote:dont go into journalism. seriously.

I can't write. However I think operating a Camera for a movie studio would probably be a pretty cool job.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:03 am

at 18, I was in the middle of my design school working my butt off. At 20, I was working at a car dealership. At 21, I had a job in my field. More than likely even after you graduate any kind of college, depending on location and amount of jobs, you could still be working a crap job.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:05 am

Malkamaniac wrote:at 18, I was in the middle of my design school working my butt off. At 20, I was working at a car dealership. At 21, I had a job in my field. More than likely even after you graduate any kind of college, depending on location and amount of jobs, you could still be working a crap job.

Design? Like drafting? CAD? 3DS MAX?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:05 am

at 18, I was getting ready to goto undergrad.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:06 am

if you go to college, go somewhere cheap. there's not enough value in an expensive education these days
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:13 am

Godric wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:at 18, I was in the middle of my design school working my butt off. At 20, I was working at a car dealership. At 21, I had a job in my field. More than likely even after you graduate any kind of college, depending on location and amount of jobs, you could still be working a crap job.

I'm a web designer/developer. I do know 3ds Max as I had to take the class, but if you're going into a select special segment, make sure they have jobs able to support you over the long hall.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:15 am

go get an accounting degree. you can always get an accounting job somewhere.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:17 am

shmenguin wrote:if you go to college, go somewhere cheap. there's not enough value in an expensive education these days

agreed...my two years at duquesne are kicking my butt right now with loan payments. go to a state school.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 am

count2infinity wrote:
shmenguin wrote:if you go to college, go somewhere cheap. there's not enough value in an expensive education these days

agreed...my two years at duquesne are kicking my butt right now with loan payments. go to a state school.

That cuts ERAU out then.

There is always those people that join the Military like "I don't know what I want to do, but that recruiter seems like a chill dude". My brother joined the Marines right out of high school after 9/11. He knew he wanted to go to ATC School but he wanted to be Marine Infantry for 8 years first lol.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby beerman on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 am

this, I started out wanting to get into and luckily changed my mind halfway through after I worked at a paper and saw how miserable 99% of the people there are.

If you don't know what you want to do do yourself a huge favor and don't go to an expensive school. If you know what you want and that expensive school has it and you know you'll be able to afford it or willing to deal with the huge payments by all means do it. But don't go to some 40k school to just take general credits and add your debt up sky high (I don't want to be reading about you on Yahoo in 5 years like that jack*** 3 weeks ago). I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I graduated HS so I went to a community college for one year, essentially for free with the grants I received, and it was the best decision I could've made. I figured out what I wanted to do, even though I switched halfway through, and saved a bunch of money in the process.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Godric wrote:

I'm a web designer/developer. I do know 3ds Max as I had to take the class, but if you're going into a select special segment, make sure they have jobs able to support you over the long hall.

Malkamaniac, can you tell me how valuable (if at all), knowing any of these programs is for a web designer: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Corel Painter? I'm developing a course to teach and I can include any or all of these programs. It's not meant to be geared to a specific profession, but it helps to know what would be good for a web designer to know. Flash and other programs would have to come later.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby beerman on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 am

count2infinity wrote:go to a state school.

this

c2i and I would recommend Clarion :scared:
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:21 am

count2infinity wrote:

yeah. how much you learn in college is more in your hands than it is in the college's. i went to an expensive school and graduated with a bunch of dimwits who learned no more than they would have at any other school.

and really, none of us knew anything. in most college programs, you aren't that well equipped for your first job right out of the gate.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:22 am

Godric wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

That cuts ERAU out then.

There is always those people that join the Military like "I don't know what I want to do, but that recruiter seems like a chill dude". My brother joined the Marines right out of high school after 9/11. He knew he wanted to go to ATC School but he wanted to be Marine Infantry for 8 years first lol.

the military is a great great option if you have no idea what you want to do. go in and get into their tuition programs. You can take care of a few things such as finding out what you want to do, not having to worry about debt after you get done with school, and the chicks dig a man in uniform.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:22 am

beerman wrote:

this, I started out wanting to get into and luckily changed my mind halfway through after I worked at a paper and saw how miserable 99% of the people there are.

If you don't know what you want to do do yourself a huge favor and don't go to an expensive school. If you know what you want and that expensive school has it and you know you'll be able to afford it or willing to deal with the huge payments by all means do it. But don't go to some 40k school to just take general credits and add your debt up sky high (I don't want to be reading about you on Yahoo in 5 years like that jack*** 3 weeks ago). I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I graduated HS so I went to a community college for one year, essentially for free with the grants I received, and it was the best decision I could've made. I figured out what I wanted to do, even though I switched halfway through, and saved a bunch of money in the process.

Thanks Beerman.

(I don't want to be reading about you on Yahoo in 5 years like that jack*** 3 weeks ago).

Wut?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:22 am

beerman wrote:
count2infinity wrote:go to a state school.

this

c2i and I would recommend Clarion :scared:

f'that...go to pitt.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:24 am

Malkamaniac, can you tell me how valuable (if at all), knowing any of these programs is for a web designer: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Corel Painter? I'm developing a course to teach and I can include any or all of these programs. It's not meant to be geared to a specific profession, but it helps to know what would be good for a web designer to know. Flash and other programs would have to come later.

Photoshop is an wonderful knowledge to have for everything. It's a great basis for design whether if be graphic/web.

Illustrator - unless you're vectoring or you are doing specialized design for print, meh in terms of web. Same for InDesign.

The well rounded basis for all web designers anymore? CSS, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, hell even notepad. Also, if you're straight designing in photoshop and need to cut out a complete design, a small base of knowledge should be taught to use ImageReady.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:24 am

shmenguin wrote:
yeah. how much you learn in college is more in your hands than it is in the college's. i went to an expensive school and graduated with a bunch of dimwits who learned no more than they would have at any other school.

and really, none of us knew anything. in most college programs, you aren't that well equipped for your first job right out of the gate.

agreed...i learned more at clarion because i took that extra mile and did so much work in the program that i was in. I was running labs for underclassmen, i was tutoring, and was learning the ins and outs of the chemistry field by talking to professors. it's all what you make of it.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Point Breeze Penguins on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 am

At 18 I was standing on the yellow footprints in Parris Island, SC.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby beerman on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:28 am

Godric wrote:
(I don't want to be reading about you on Yahoo in 5 years like that jack*** 3 weeks ago).

Wut?

some girl went to NYU for something really dumb I can't remember what, but she got out and couldn't get a job in it (which wasn't surprising). So she was crying about that and how the schools tuition is too high and wanting to sue the school. It was her own fault she went somewhere she couldn't afford and then wanted anyone else to take the blame but herself.

I don't want to see that happen to anyone here. Because I'll find the article and I will mock you :fist:
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:29 am

Malkamaniac wrote:

Photoshop is an wonderful knowledge to have for everything. It's a great basis for design whether if be graphic/web.

Illustrator - unless you're vectoring or you are doing specialized design for print, meh in terms of web. Same for InDesign.

The well rounded basis for all web designers anymore? CSS, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, hell even notepad. Also, if you're straight designing in photoshop and need to cut out a complete design, a small base of knowledge should be taught to use ImageReady.

Thanks, Malkamaniac, I appreciate it!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pensfan1989 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:29 am

count2infinity wrote: and the chicks dig a man in uniform.

Or a man out of uniform :pop:
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beerman on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:30 am

shmenguin wrote:and really, none of us knew anything. in most college programs, you aren't that well equipped for your first job right out of the gate.

yeah I was able to get in some pretty hands on side projects but I still learned more in my first 2 months on the job than I did in 4 years of school.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to NHR