lulz @ going to School or what

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: lulz @ going to School or what

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 am

It is up to you, and everyone is different, but if I were you, I'd seriously start thinking what I want to do with my life.

Things like doing a "cool job" or just hanging out living the life right now may seem great, but think about where you want to be 10-15-20 years from now.

If you are fine with living the life of possibly living paycheck to paycheck and having unstable work, then take the risk of doing something "cool". It may pay off, it may not. I know about 3 or 4 people that wanted to work on film crews and stuff like that, and most either do not get the camerman job and have other crappy jobs around the set, or have not work at all.

I'm more conservative in nature, and knew what I wanted, got a degree in accounting and went from there to get my CPA. I have a somewhat secure job and nice pay and live comfortably. Is it my dream job? Probably not. But to me, there is give or take. I prefer the security.

Again, not everyone is the same. Some people like to take risks for something fun and exciting, and it may seem great now. But if you are willing to do that for the next 5, 10, 15, 20 years, then go for it.

If not, I'd seriously consider what you want to do, and if it is the right choice.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:32 am

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:At 18 I was standing on the yellow footprints in Parris Island, SC.

Thats cool I remember when I went to my brother's ceremony hearing about the yellow foot prints
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 am

If you dont know go to a state school or community college for 2 years. figure out what classes can transfer to some of the colleges you might be looking at in 2 years.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 am

newarenanow wrote:I'd seriously start thinking what I want to do with my life.

Anymore seriously and I might explode...
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:38 am

Tico Rick wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Malkamaniac, can you tell me how valuable (if at all), knowing any of these programs is for a web designer: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Corel Painter? I'm developing a course to teach and I can include any or all of these programs. It's not meant to be geared to a specific profession, but it helps to know what would be good for a web designer to know. Flash and other programs would have to come later.

Photoshop is an wonderful knowledge to have for everything. It's a great basis for design whether if be graphic/web.

Illustrator - unless you're vectoring or you are doing specialized design for print, meh in terms of web. Same for InDesign.

The well rounded basis for all web designers anymore? CSS, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, hell even notepad. Also, if you're straight designing in photoshop and need to cut out a complete design, a small base of knowledge should be taught to use ImageReady.

Thanks, Malkamaniac, I appreciate it!

Sure thing, if you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IronDukes37 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:50 am

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:52 am

stream of consciousness:

you dont have to know what you want to do now. not to sound traditional, i think college is the best route. go and take some classes, see what you like. i changed my major three or four times. engineering general -> engineering management -> pulp and paper product engineering -> zoology. corny statement: its all about finding something you are passionate about and pursuing that. a few summers ago i worked at a paper mill and dreaded it every single day. i am in health care administration now and enjoy coming to work and like the people i work with and the place where i am now. i thought about going to med school. took the mcat, got ready for interviews, but i would lay in bed at night stressing about everything and decided that wasnt a life that i wanted (plus didnt want 6-8-10 more years of schooling and associated debt). its okay to be nervous, but dont be afraid to make a decision. your biggest risk is not taking one. looking forward and thinking about where you will end up 20, 30, 40 years from now may seem daunting but when you get there and look back it will all seem linear. most things turn out okay in the end. youll be fine :thumb:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby doublem on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 am

Find something that you love and do that, seriously. The old word of advance is do what you would do for free and if you really love something and it may be tough to get into( the arts) don't let anyone tell you different even if it is your family. It's your life and you only get one, so I think you should find something that you love. Just IMO.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:stream of consciousness:

you dont have to know what you want to do now. not to sound traditional, i think college is the best route. go and take some classes, see what you like. i changed my major three or four times. engineering general -> engineering management -> pulp and paper product engineering -> zoology. corny statement: its all about finding something you are passionate about and pursuing that. a few summers ago i worked at a paper mill and dreaded it every single day. i am in health care administration now and enjoy coming to work and like the people i work with and the place where i am now. i thought about going to med school. took the mcat, got ready for interviews, but i would lay in bed at night stressing about everything and decided that wasnt a life that i wanted (plus didnt want 6-8-10 more years of schooling and associated debt). its okay to be nervous, but dont be afraid to make a decision. your biggest risk is not taking one. looking forward and thinking about where you will end up 20, 30, 40 years from now may seem daunting but when you get there and look back it will all seem linear. most things turn out okay in the end. youll be fine :thumb:

This is good stuff.

Honestly, its foolish to urge an 18 year old too strongly to seriously figure out what they want to do. Looking back on my high school self, I really have no idea how I could have ever known what I wanted to do (and I didn't). Like LITT says, take some classes, see what you like, and, chances are, you'll find something that fits for you. Personally, I bet the majority of people who are 18 are not capable of knowing what they want to do (at least not based upon U.S. Public education). A portion of those who end up doing what they said they'd do when they were 18 probably only do it because they feel like they already made the decision and/or they are not self-reflective enough to realize that they went from wanting to do that at 18 to not wanting to do it sometime before it hits them at age 35.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby doublem on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:00 pm

P.S. don't go to the military.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:01 pm

doublem wrote:P.S. don't go to the military.

Why?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Sell your body.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Kicksave wrote:

Why?

Unless that is something that you want to do for the rest of your life, going to the military isn't worth it, if you are just looking for a job, go to college and get a degree in a science field/ accounting something like that, I know people that went the military route and they have a lot of issues and don't get the proper treatment, PTSD, etc. Not worth it, IMO.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Sell your body.

Isn't this basically the military?

Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Azkar on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Do a year or 2 at CCAC, you will thank me later
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm a web designer/developer.

You're a spider?
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rasbatch on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:
I'm a web designer/developer.

You're a spider?

no silly, the spiders build them, they design em
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:23 pm

doublem wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

Why?

Unless that is something that you want to do for the rest of your life, going to the military isn't worth it, if you are just looking for a job, go to college and get a degree in a science field/ accounting something like that, I know people that went the military route and they have a lot of issues and don't get the proper treatment, PTSD, etc. Not worth it, IMO.

Are you kidding? Believe it or not, not everyone that joins the military is involved in some kind of traumatic life event like committing a genocidal massacre or holding their friends' intestines in their arms. My military experience was the best thing that happened to me, and I am a better person for it to this day. Then again, you want to abolish the military, so why is this not surprising?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:29 pm

take it to the political thread fellas...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby rasbatch on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:33 pm

There's your answer son, go into politics.
easy job, your never held accountable, lots of perks,
bang your staffers, blame it on your addictions, go to rehab,
make comeback as a reformer, repeat as necessary.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:36 pm

count2infinity wrote:take it to the political thread fellas...

No need to...I was just trying to offer the OP a perspective on the military from someone that is benefited greatly from my experience in it. I would say that's relevant to the thread.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Since you mentioned Embry Riddle, the military and debt...

I was looking at using my GI Bill at embry riddle, but ended up picking a school closer to home, anyway the debt wouldnt really be an issue. the GI Bill is much better than it used to be. However, if youre in it for the college money, i would suggest NOT picking the marines. Go Navy / AF.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Point Breeze Penguins on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:44 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
doublem wrote:

Are you kidding? Believe it or not, not everyone that joins the military is involved in some kind of traumatic life event like committing a genocidal massacre or holding their friends' intestines in their arms. My military experience was the best thing that happened to me, and I am a better person for it to this day. Then again, you want to abolish the military, so why is this not surprising?

Ditto. I shutter to think where I would be if not for the U.S. Marines.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 pm

you think your life just began? shoot. i'd love to go back to 18 and i'm only 22 :pop:

come to think of it, June 22 after when i graduated (4 years ago), i was probably drinking a keystone light for breakfast on the boardwalk of OCMD.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby crayz on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Take a year off, enjoy yourself and figure out what you want to do.
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR