George R.R. Martin

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby steve784 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Yeah, I bought all the books based on the recommendations from this board. Halfway through book two.......I'm such a slow reader though. I typically read only before bed and usually only get through a chapter a night. Oh well......should keep me occupied for the next couple years at this pace.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 pm

Just thinking about this...

Spoiler:
The Red Wedding could be one of the greatest scenes in TV history. Damn that's going to be awesome. Well, if they get that far. *fingers crossed*
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:11 am

Finally finished the first book last night, onto book 2 today. I'm hooked and hope the 2nd book continues in terms of quality as the first.

Spoiler:
the ending with Daenerys and the dragons was really rad, I wasn't expecting that. Looking forward to see how the dragons take part in the future books.


Really like Tyrion Lannister, might be my favorite character. Peter dinklage is going to be awesome playing him in the HBO series. I found it a little hard to get attached with a lot of the characters because it seems like everyone is so young, but as the story progressed, I didn't really see the age as much as their character.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:35 am

eddysnake wrote:Finally finished the first book last night, onto book 2 today. I'm hooked and hope the 2nd book continues in terms of quality as the first.

Spoiler:
the ending with Daenerys and the dragons was really rad, I wasn't expecting that. Looking forward to see how the dragons take part in the future books.


Really like Tyrion Lannister, might be my favorite character. Peter dinklage is going to be awesome playing him in the HBO series. I found it a little hard to get attached with a lot of the characters because it seems like everyone is so young, but as the story progressed, I didn't really see the age as much as their character.


The second is better than the first...the third is better than the second. The fourth...a lot of people hate the fourth, but I'd put it on par with the first one.

The age thing was a major concern with people about the series. "Well, this character is 8 and this character is 13, how are actors going to pull that off" blah blah blah...you are precisely right. After the initial statement of their ages, you really don't even think about it any more. You just know they are young which makes these situations seem even more difficult. But, if they age Robb up to 18 vs. 16...is it a huge difference for the TV show? No. It's not.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:38 am

Yeah I thought the fourth was weak. The problem with GRRM is he is going to die before finishing #5, since it seems to be his lowest priority of all the things he is doing. Although Robert Jordan dying worked out pretty well (in literary terms only) for Wheel of Time.
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:42 am

Good to hear that they keep getting better and better!

regarding age

Spoiler:
I'm sure they will have to make some changes for tv and it shouldn't be a big deal, I could be wrong, but was Daenerys 14, I doubt they make a 14 yr old pregnant for the HBO series.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:03 pm

eddysnake wrote:Good to hear that they keep getting better and better!

regarding age

Spoiler:
I'm sure they will have to make some changes for tv and it shouldn't be a big deal, I could be wrong, but was Daenerys 14, I doubt they make a 14 yr old pregnant for the HBO series.


Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do...but I think they aged her up to 16. So...it's still young, but...
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:29 pm

jaysmiter wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Good to hear that they keep getting better and better!

regarding age

Spoiler:
I'm sure they will have to make some changes for tv and it shouldn't be a big deal, I could be wrong, but was Daenerys 14, I doubt they make a 14 yr old pregnant for the HBO series.


Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do...but I think they aged her up to 16. So...it's still young, but...


Spoiler:
And....um....what are they going to do about her "marriage" to Kahl Drogo. :pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,038
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do...but I think they aged her up to 16. So...it's still young, but...


Spoiler:
And....um....what are they going to do about her "marriage" to Kahl Drogo. :pop:


Spoiler:
and the dragons breastfeeding at the end...they gotta keep that in, it will be a first for tv!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do...but I think they aged her up to 16. So...it's still young, but...


Spoiler:
And....um....what are they going to do about her "marriage" to Kahl Drogo. :pop:


Spoiler:
and the dragons breastfeeding at the end...they gotta keep that in, it will be a first for tv!


Spoiler:
Well, the girl playing her is over 18...so...no issues there.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby steve784 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Was played before the premiere of True Blood tonight:

steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:25 am

Don't know how I missed that last night. Didn't show much, but enough to get me excited, can't wait.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby BadHands71 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:41 am

They are on my list of books to read this summer. I need to finish the one I'm on right now, and then they are next. Nice to see the reviews on here. :thumb:
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,008
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:47 am

Heres an extremely geeky link that breaks down the teaser with screen grabs so you can actually see whats going on, love it

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/UPDATED_Dissecting_the_Teaser_with_images/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby jaysmiter on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:00 am

I AM EXCITEMENT.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:52 am

finished Clash Of Kings last night, I had stopped reading about 400 pages through because didn't really have time, picked it up recently and the last 500 pages flew by. Picked up A Sword of Storms over the weekend and I also got The Name of the Wind based on jaysmiters post previously. I'm not really which to pick up next, I'm so hooked on fire and ice that I'll probably just keep reading, but a change of books might be nice, maybe after the 3rd one. You guys like Storm of Swords?

everyone was right, the 2nd book was better than the 1st and that was really good
Spoiler:
I hope the HBO series gets good ratings, because if it makes it to the 2nd season, it's gonna take quite a budget for some of those battle scenes at the end. I love battle with all the ships and the wildfire, Davos was one of my fave characters in this one. Also really dug Jon Snow's story, love how he's going to be fighting with the Wildlings, looking forward to finding more about the giants, mammoths, etc...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby steve784 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 am

eddysnake wrote:finished Clash Of Kings last night, I had stopped reading about 400 pages through because didn't really have time, picked it up recently and the last 500 pages flew by. Picked up A Sword of Storms over the weekend and I also got The Name of the Wind based on jaysmiters post previously. I'm not really which to pick up next, I'm so hooked on fire and ice that I'll probably just keep reading, but a change of books might be nice, maybe after the 3rd one. You guys like Storm of Swords?

everyone was right, the 2nd book was better than the 1st and that was really good
Spoiler:
I hope the HBO series gets good ratings, because if it makes it to the 2nd season, it's gonna take quite a budget for some of those battle scenes at the end. I love battle with all the ships and the wildfire, Davos was one of my fave characters in this one. Also really dug Jon Snow's story, love how he's going to be fighting with the Wildlings, looking forward to finding more about the giants, mammoths, etc...



I started Storm of Swords probably like a month ago, and so far it's my favorite of the 3 I've read. Westeros is gettin craaaaaaaaaazay.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:06 am

steve784 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:finished Clash Of Kings last night, I had stopped reading about 400 pages through because didn't really have time, picked it up recently and the last 500 pages flew by. Picked up A Sword of Storms over the weekend and I also got The Name of the Wind based on jaysmiters post previously. I'm not really which to pick up next, I'm so hooked on fire and ice that I'll probably just keep reading, but a change of books might be nice, maybe after the 3rd one. You guys like Storm of Swords?

everyone was right, the 2nd book was better than the 1st and that was really good
Spoiler:
I hope the HBO series gets good ratings, because if it makes it to the 2nd season, it's gonna take quite a budget for some of those battle scenes at the end. I love battle with all the ships and the wildfire, Davos was one of my fave characters in this one. Also really dug Jon Snow's story, love how he's going to be fighting with the Wildlings, looking forward to finding more about the giants, mammoths, etc...



I started Storm of Swords probably like a month ago, and so far it's my favorite of the 3 I've read. Westeros is gettin craaaaaaaaaazay.


You don't even know what crazy is yet.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,038
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby steve784 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:56 am

PensFanInDC wrote:You don't even know what crazy is yet.


Image
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby jaysmiter on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:58 am

aSoS is typically regarded as the best of the bunch. I tend to agree.

It's awesome.

Eddy,

The Name of the Wind would be a good change of pace. It's a fairly quick read (I knocked it out in a week or so) and doesn't make you wanna throw the book at a wall like Ice and Fire does sometimes.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 am

eddysnake wrote:finished Clash Of Kings last night, I had stopped reading about 400 pages through because didn't really have time, picked it up recently and the last 500 pages flew by. Picked up A Sword of Storms over the weekend and I also got The Name of the Wind based on jaysmiters post previously. I'm not really which to pick up next, I'm so hooked on fire and ice that I'll probably just keep reading, but a change of books might be nice, maybe after the 3rd one. You guys like Storm of Swords?

everyone was right, the 2nd book was better than the 1st and that was really good
Spoiler:
I hope the HBO series gets good ratings, because if it makes it to the 2nd season, it's gonna take quite a budget for some of those battle scenes at the end. I love battle with all the ships and the wildfire, Davos was one of my fave characters in this one. Also really dug Jon Snow's story, love how he's going to be fighting with the Wildlings, looking forward to finding more about the giants, mammoths, etc...


Not that big of a spoiler. The only thing that would be spoiled is knowing that a certain character is still alive. Read if you want.

Spoiler:
Davos is becoming one of the top main characters of the series. Which, of course, means he will probably die soon :lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,038
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:17 am

jaysmiter wrote:The Name of the Wind would be a good change of pace. It's a fairly quick read (I knocked it out in a week or so) and doesn't make you wanna throw the book at a wall like Ice and Fire does sometimes.


hehe I already started aSoS this morning, I really want to get into something else, but I just can't bring myself to it, I must know what happens! After this, I will venture into new territory. My wife was making fun of me after reading the back cover of the the name of the wind, which I have to admit sounds kinda cheesey. After reading all the reviews on amazon, it does seem like it is a pretty cool story and the cover may just be poorly written. I checked out the authors blog and he seems like a cool guy
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby jaysmiter on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:14 pm

eddysnake wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:The Name of the Wind would be a good change of pace. It's a fairly quick read (I knocked it out in a week or so) and doesn't make you wanna throw the book at a wall like Ice and Fire does sometimes.


hehe I already started aSoS this morning, I really want to get into something else, but I just can't bring myself to it, I must know what happens! After this, I will venture into new territory. My wife was making fun of me after reading the back cover of the the name of the wind, which I have to admit sounds kinda cheesey. After reading all the reviews on amazon, it does seem like it is a pretty cool story and the cover may just be poorly written. I checked out the authors blog and he seems like a cool guy


It shares a lot of similarities with Harry Potter, for sure. However, the way Rothfuss writes is really engaging.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby eddysnake on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:29 am

finished aSoS last night. I was really bummed out that it ended and I didn't have the next book on hand to continue reading. Boy do I hope the series does well on HBO so they can make it to this book.

Spoiler:
Can the Stark family have it any rougher? I was really starting to get frusterated, every one of them seemed to miss another of their family by hours or days, I was really hoping one of them would run into another. I was a little skeptical about Catelyn coming back at the end, but now that she appears to be a mess, things could get rad with her storyline.

I didn't want to get to caught up with what happens in the next book, but according to some publishers reviews, it looks like Tyrion and Jon are not in the 4th book as much? Without spoiling anything, whats everyones thoughts on the 4th book?
Last edited by eddysnake on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:53 am

eddysnake wrote:finished aSoS last night. I was really bummed out that it ended and I didn't have the next book on hand to continue reading. Boy do I hope the series does well on HBO so they can make it to this book.

Spoiler:
Can the Stark family have it any rougher? I was really starting to get frusterated, everyone one of them seemed to miss another of their family by hours or days, I was really hoping one of them would run into another. I was a little skeptical about Catelyn coming back at the end, but now that she appears to be a mess, things could get rad with her storyline.

I didn't want to get to caught up with what happens in the next book, but according to some publishers reviews, it looks like Tyrion and Jon are not in the 4th book as much? Without spoiling anything, whats everyones thoughts on the 4th book?


The 4th book is the weakest by far. I did not enjoy it. Perhaps when I re-read the series before the next book comes out I will appreciate it more.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,707
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: npv708, Shyster and 8 guests

e-mail