Grading Game 44

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby pfim on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Can you say "keystone cops"? I got to see this on TIVO and it was actually comical knowing what was going to occur. Hey they won, and let's hope they break down that play for experience.

I had it on the DVR and watched it a few times. I don't know why, it's pretty obvious that everyone on the ice was at fault except for Ruutu and Fleury.

As far as Ouellet goes, he's only useful when he scores, so I guess he was useful last night.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Admin wrote:
pfim wrote:
As far as the spear, yeah it was dirty, really dirty, but he didn't do it that hard and I know I'll probably get flammed for this but it looked like Sid just went down to draw a penalty and that it didn't hurt that much.

Why would he be trying to draw a penalty with 50 seconds left and a 3 goal lead? I would file that thought under "I don't really think so."

Plus, I'm not sure he'd be quite as incensed skating out of the box if it didn't hurt.

Oh, I guaruntee he felt it but from what I saw it looked like it hit him in the chest which has a pretty good pad there. Guys can take a puck off their chest and not even have a bruise. The only way i can see that really smarting was if it hit sort of in the side where there can be soft spot in the pads. As far as Crosby's reaction, I think that he was more upset that he thought Blake tried to injure him than the pain it might have caused. I still agree that it was dirty and I'm not trying to defend Blake but I don't think it was quite as bad as some here think and are making it out to be. I bet Sid can still feel the clean check from the 1st but he probably doesn't even remember where that spear hit him today.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:01 pm

SIDNEY CROSBY: A. A 2-goal game with those lead weights as linemates is miraculous. He did have the one horrible play on the SHG, but man, did he work the boards and draw penalties! And I loved how he didn’t just tap in the one rebound. He slammed it in, to make sure.

I'm going with C. I don't think he's playing very well. Those goals were so easy a caveman could have scored them. In fact, a caveman did score one just like it in the first.

The SHG play was inexcusable.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:03 pm

rb44 wrote:I think the hate in todays posts is some regular readers and posts are getting tired of the same old bashing MCM gives of players and yet never gives them credit for doing anything good.

If Oullett doesnt score on the goal he scores there is a paragraph bashing him for missing on that shot and giving him an F. Since he did score, he did assist on another goal and he did play solid defense. Of course there is no Kudos to Oullett for a nice game.
That is the center of the beef then MO? You can count his positive contributions by his goal tally only. If he's not wide open and doesn't score, he's a total liability on any line. That's his top end and he's acheived it. There are other players like him out there, think Brandon Boschenski. Actually he's probably better than MO. What's he doing right now toiling for the Admirals? I, along with many others here, hope he's not on our top 3 lines & PP soon. May the off season be good to us.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:04 pm

pfim wrote:
Can you say "keystone cops"? I got to see this on TIVO and it was actually comical knowing what was going to occur. Hey they won, and let's hope they break down that play for experience.

I had it on the DVR and watched it a few times. I don't know why, it's pretty obvious that everyone on the ice was at fault except for Ruutu and Fleury.

As far as Ouellet goes, he's only useful when he scores, so I guess he was useful last night.
LOL I was typing the same about MO but you beat me too it :)
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Profiler on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Ron` wrote:
rb44 wrote:I think the hate in todays posts is some regular readers and posts are getting tired of the same old bashing MCM gives of players and yet never gives them credit for doing anything good.

If Oullett doesnt score on the goal he scores there is a paragraph bashing him for missing on that shot and giving him an F. Since he did score, he did assist on another goal and he did play solid defense. Of course there is no Kudos to Oullett for a nice game.
That is the center of the beef then MO? You can count his positive contributions by his goal tally only. If he's not wide open and doesn't score, he's a total liability on any line. That's his top end and he's acheived it. There are other players like him out there, think Brandon Boschenski. Actually he's probably better than MO. What's he doing right now toiling for the Admirals? I, along with many others here, hope he's not on our top 3 lines & PP soon. May the off season be good to us.

I guess that is why he was on the ice at the end of the Philly game, and why HIS PASS OUT OF THE DEFENSIVE ZONE is what sprung the empty net goal. I know, I know, blind squirrel, blah blah blah.........
Profiler

Postby Jesse on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:33 pm

MCM, I'm going to avoid beating a dead horse as much as I can in this response because I actually try to intellectually respond to what you post after each game.

First, in regards to the offense, the 2nd period was more of an F rating for me than the first. We were shorthanded basically from the 13:00 mark to the 2:00 mark on and off of the first period, so sustaining pressure had become a bit difficult at that point.

On that point, I give Ryan Malone a D. Sure, someone needed to go after Witt. Not because of that hit, but because Witt is a generally overall dirty player to begin with. Ryan Malone showed he's a guy that wants to stay here, but he picked the wrong spot. First off, Whitney wasn't going to fight Witt, just facewash him and let him know he was there. Malone was the third man in, which is automatically a stupid thing to do. Second, there can't be a fight after everytime someome checks Sidney Crosby. We'll be in the box for the duration of every game. That hit was clean as a whistle and Sidney knew it. Ryan Malone needs to really pick his spots better and I stand by that. What happened in the third period deserved fisticuffs more than a clean, open ice check in the first period when you have all the momentum. To me, for Ryan Malone, that was the last act of a desperate man who wants to stay here but knows the cards are stacked against him.

I just think that posters, not you imparticular, are putting too much stock into this "Stand up for Sidney" campaign that has been sparked since last night. Everyone complains that no one (Whitney) did anything to Blake, but no one points out the absurdity of Malone to fight Witt while Whitney is already facewashing him after a clean, open ice check.

Are we going to drop the gloves everytime Sidney get's hit? That's a fairly primitive style of hockey, if you ask me.

Note to Penguins: Pick your spots better next time.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm

Jesse wrote:MCM, I'm going to avoid beating a dead horse as much as I can in this response because I actually try to intellectually respond to what you post after each game.

First, in regards to the offense, the 2nd period was more of an F rating for me than the first. We were shorthanded basically from the 13:00 mark to the 2:00 mark on and off of the first period, so sustaining pressure had become a bit difficult at that point.

On that point, I give Ryan Malone a D. Sure, someone needed to go after Witt. Not because of that hit, but because Witt is a generally overall dirty player to begin with. Ryan Malone showed he's a guy that wants to stay here, but he picked the wrong spot. First off, Whitney wasn't going to fight Witt, just facewash him and let him know he was there. Malone was the third man in, which is automatically a stupid thing to do. Second, there can't be a fight after everytime someome checks Sidney Crosby. We'll be in the box for the duration of every game. That hit was clean as a whistle and Sidney knew it. Ryan Malone needs to really pick his spots better and I stand by that. What happened in the third period deserved fisticuffs more than a clean, open ice check in the first period when you have all the momentum. To me, for Ryan Malone, that was the last act of a desperate man who wants to stay here but knows the cards are stacked against him.

I just think that posters, not you imparticular, are putting too much stock into this "Stand up for Sidney" campaign that has been sparked since last night. Everyone complains that no one (Whitney) did anything to Blake, but no one points out the absurdity of Malone to fight Witt while Whitney is already facewashing him after a clean, open ice check.

Are we going to drop the gloves everytime Sidney get's hit? That's a fairly primitive style of hockey, if you ask me.

Note to Penguins: Pick your spots better next time.[/b]

I actually agree totally with you. I guess I will amend my remarks about Malone. I have always been one who gets annoyed when players retaliate by fighting after a clean, legal hit. it makes no sense. Go hit them clean and legal if you don't like it. The Gollum play, OTOH, was fully deserving of retaliation and got none. That's the part I really don't get. The game was over, so who cares if you take a penalty to send the punk a message?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:39 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Jesse wrote:MCM, I'm going to avoid beating a dead horse as much as I can in this response because I actually try to intellectually respond to what you post after each game.

Note to Penguins: Pick your spots better next time.

I actually agree totally with you. I guess I will amend my remarks about Malone. I have always been one who gets annoyed when players retaliate by fighting after a clean, legal hit. it makes no sense. Go hit them clean and legal if you don't like it. The Gollum play, OTOH, was fully deserving of retaliation and got none. That's the part I really don't get. The game was over, so who cares if you take a penalty to send the punk a message?

Right, a good example of what we're talking about is Saturday's game against Philadelphia.

Cpt. Picard hit Colby and knocked him silly. From that moment forward, Colby was looking for revenge and sought it out against one of the Flyers' little golden-boys in Jeff Carter. That hit was an absolute monster and it was the type of retribution you dish after after a clean hit.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:39 pm

The game was over, so who cares if you take a penalty to send the punk a message?

Suspension.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:27 pm

regarding all the ouellet love....did you see how negatively he affected our 5 on 3's?

the guy had a nice game after his goal and everything, but he sucked the life out of those power plays. when he wasn't an empty sweater, he was making extremely slow decisions or having the puck jump off his stick. i don't even know why he was out there. was rex on the point? he wasn't even stationed in front of the net, Malkin was. what exactly does MT expect ouellet to do down low with the puck?

so great, MO earns another month of Therrien's good favor. would you trade these past 2 MO games for the 20 something games of worthlessness?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:12 pm

The goal in question with Whitney and Orpik was definitely a forward's fault. Come on Mike!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:44 pm

shmenguin wrote:regarding all the ouellet love....did you see how negatively he affected our 5 on 3's?

the guy had a nice game after his goal and everything, but he sucked the life out of those power plays. when he wasn't an empty sweater, he was making extremely slow decisions or having the puck jump off his stick. i don't even know why he was out there. was rex on the point? he wasn't even stationed in front of the net, Malkin was. what exactly does MT expect ouellet to do down low with the puck?

so great, MO earns another month of Therrien's good favor. would you trade these past 2 MO games for the 20 something games of worthlessness?

Good analysis. I watch this guy because I want to see some of the defensive prowess MT claims Oullet has.
He's easily stripped of the puck by opponents, gets knocked around easily and rarely wins any battles along the boards.If he gets in deep & the play goes the other way the Pens are outmanned in their own end because he takes forever to get back.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins