CEC Ice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: CEC Ice

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:10 pm

I did notice Crosby got tripped up during the last game, and it looked like it was due to the ice.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby t_kovo89 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I did notice Crosby got tripped up during the last game, and it looked like it was due to the ice.

Whether it was due to the ice or not, I smiled a little bit. It made me feel a little better about my lack of skating ability.

Really, though, I just blame global warming.
t_kovo89
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Draftnik on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:39 pm

Jesse wrote:This is the first time I've ever seen a players exhaustion rate directly correlated to how tired he looked during an interview rather than on the ice.

Frankly, I am stunned and I have no rebuttal.

OK here is a rebuttal :wink:

Letang was at the end of a shift on one of his fights and he fought a CBJ guy that came off the bench. If Letang were exhausted by the allegedly substandard CEC ice, he wouldn't have won his fight so decisively after taking a long shift on allegedly poor ice.

The CEC ice actually made him fresher than any other arena because guys always get pounded if they are fighting at the end of a shift when their opponent comes off the bench.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 am

Draftnik wrote:
Jesse wrote:This is the first time I've ever seen a players exhaustion rate directly correlated to how tired he looked during an interview rather than on the ice.

Frankly, I am stunned and I have no rebuttal.

OK here is a rebuttal :wink:

Letang was at the end of a shift on one of his fights and he fought a CBJ guy that came off the bench. If Letang were exhausted by the allegedly substandard CEC ice, he wouldn't have won his fight so decisively after taking a long shift on allegedly poor ice.

The CEC ice actually made him fresher than any other arena because guys always get pounded if they are fighting at the end of a shift when their opponent comes off the bench.

Actually, I think the other player was already exhausted having to skate from the bench to Letang on the crappy ice. This made the fight more even as both players were already exhausted. :wink:
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:18 am

Trib:

• Many of the Penguins have expressed disappointment with the ice surface at Consol Energy Center, but there aren't any problems with their practice ice. Captain Sidney Crosby called the Iceoplex ice surface "great." Of course, the Southpointe rink doesn't double as a concert site and is kept extremely cold. "Hopefully the new ice will get better," Crosby said.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jasmine on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:46 am

Trib:

• Many of the Penguins have expressed disappointment with the ice surface at Consol Energy Center, but there aren't any problems with their practice ice. Captain Sidney Crosby called the Iceoplex ice surface "great." Of course, the Southpointe rink doesn't double as a concert site and is kept extremely cold. "Hopefully the new ice will get better," Crosby said.

Thanks for posting. Sometimes when you post the truth on here, a few people like to take potshots for whatever reason. :? Anyway . . . yes, Sid, we all hope the ice gets better.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:14 am

JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 am

the little kids that came out at intermission to do the shootout, the one little kid was standing completely still and fell on his face. damn you CEC ice
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 am

CECICE
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:22 am

:scared:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 am

VINDICATION!
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:45 am

i'm not sure why it was such a crime for the OP to question the quality of the ice, so i'm glad that blurb popped up
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:00 pm

shmenguin wrote:i'm not sure why it was such a crime for the OP to question the quality of the ice, so i'm glad that blurb popped up

It wasn't a crime. It was more loling because she asked the question and then answered herself right after asking it.

Jasmine wrote:When the Pens opened camp, the CEC ice was not good with speculation that it was due to a concert just days before. This is a "state-of-the-art" building in which perfect ice should be the major priority, no? Should we be worring about this?

The ice wasn't great because of the concert days before. I suspect that the ice will be much better when the season starts and the concerts become less frequent during the season.

2 and 2 together tell you the reasoning as to why the ice was/is bad.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 pm

From today's P-G Penguins Notebook:

Tip-ins
Crosby, on the playing surface at the CEC: "I think the ice is kind of a work in progress." ... The Penguins are 3-0 in preseason play, with two of those victories on home ice.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10271/10 ... z10qMW3G5X

Not exactly a glowing endorsement, but yeah the place is new. It's got the latest high tech as far as ice making equipment. I'm sure they're still figuring it out.
Badger Bob
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby louie on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:46 am

I didn't read through the entire thread, but they cheaped out on the pipes that they used for the ice. Instead of running the pipes the width of the ice, they ran them the length of the ice, which provides less cooling for the ice.
louie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:46 pm

louie wrote:I didn't read through the entire thread, but they cheaped out on the pipes that they used for the ice. Instead of running the pipes the width of the ice, they ran them the length of the ice, which provides less cooling for the ice.

Link?
Badger Bob
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby louie on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Know a guy on the "real" ice crew.
louie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Why would they "cheap" out on something like that?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lowedog on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Why would they "cheap" out on something like that?

Yeah, I have a hard time believing this as well. As involved as the team was with the oversight and design of the arena, I have a hard time believing they would "cheap out" on the most important aspect of the building. You don't allow 300+ million to be spent, yet cheap out in an area that can potentially injure some of the most talented players in a generation. I would assume and trust that they would seek to protect their investments, and not risk them by "cheaping" out on the ice.
lowedog
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby spiritfan on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 pm

somebody somewhere should not be sleeping very well at night... how difficult is it in the year 2010 to make a 1 inch thick layer of ice... perhaps if the ice was sponsored by some corporation then this would not happen... maybe nobody knows where the damn thermostat is in the coal mine... i expected the first comments from any of the players was to be how great the ice was for 300M... and they got slush... i would not doubt that some company from philly installed the ice... or the same company that installed the turf at heinz field... h2o + cold = ice
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:13 am

= A number of Penguins again openly complained about the Consol Energy Center’s ice surface.

from rossi's column after the toronto game.

man.... i hope this gets better soon.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:32 am

columbia wrote:Trib:

That right there is the problem. They're practicing on this great ice -- when they try to implement all the pretty passing plays they were able to perfect on good ice, they fail and lose games :scared:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:23 am

I've seen too many passes bouncing off sticks and it's killing a lot of scoring chances, maybe there is something to it. Too many passes on the power play are taking that extra half second to settle down, and that half second is enough for the lanes to close. We're going to need a road trip to find out.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:34 am

So glad there was yet another concert there last night. Expect moar fail tonight then! :scared:
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ben Klingston on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:33 pm

I thought the CEC was noticeably colder last night, sitting in the stands. Not sure if that was due to the relatively colder outside temps or if they've cranked up the cooling in an effort to improve the ice surface.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins