CEC Ice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: CEC Ice

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:10 pm

tonysoprano wrote:
shmenguin wrote:it's not that difficult of a concept to grasp that one team would have more trouble with bad ice than another. we're the former.

Sounds like rationalizing to me.

in football, skilled, passing teams prefer dry weather...domes if possible. teams that grind it out with a running game would prefer the wet muck against one of these teams. how do you not understand this concept?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:52 pm

shmenguin wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
shmenguin wrote:it's not that difficult of a concept to grasp that one team would have more trouble with bad ice than another. we're the former.

in football, skilled, passing teams prefer dry weather...domes if possible. teams that grind it out with a running game would prefer the wet muck against one of these teams. how do you not understand this concept?

I don't disagree, but I still think it's an excuse that is put out there when the team isn't playing well, and a poor one at that.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tonysoprano on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:53 pm

shmenguin wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:

I understand that concept just fine. Explain to me how a team built with a lot of third line grinders who's goal is to supposedly outwork you, out-hit you, and wear you down, is somehow impeded by bad ice?
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:55 pm

skullman80 wrote:
I don't disagree, but I still think it's an excuse that is put out there when the team isn't playing well, and a poor one at that.

if someone is saying that we're playing poorly because of the ice, i agree, that's rotten. but it doesn't change the fact that this team is more affected by bad ice than most teams they play against. i'm not using it as a rationalization for us losing. i am saying, however, that we would be playing better on good ice.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:59 pm

tonysoprano wrote:I understand that concept just fine. Explain to me how a team built with a lot of third line grinders who's goal is to supposedly outwork you, out-hit you, and wear you down, is somehow impeded by bad ice?

i'm saying that the team that generates scoring from finesse play would be affected by bad ice. and a team that activates their d-men to carry the puck deep absolutely would want good ice. take it however you want. you're looking for people to be blaming the ice for our losses no one's doing that
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tonysoprano on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:03 pm

shmenguin wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:I understand that concept just fine. Explain to me how a team built with a lot of third line grinders who's goal is to supposedly outwork you, out-hit you, and wear you down, is somehow impeded by bad ice?

i'm saying that the team that generates scoring from finesse play would be affected by bad ice. and a team that activates their d-men to carry the puck deep absolutely would want good ice. take it however you want. you're looking for people to be blaming the ice for our losses no one's doing that

I'm not looking for that at all. You made a claim that we're more impeded by bad ice then other teams. I think that claim is misfounded, as I stated above.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 am

Well I think we also have the advantage of playing on the bad ice more than the other teams. So it evens out. :)
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins