Why did Malkin even go to the Young Guns game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why did Malkin even go to the Young Guns game?

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:48 pm

Shinoix wrote:That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort.

pwned.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:49 pm

Jake wrote:
Shinoix wrote:That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort.

For a guy who's dream it was to play in the NHL and a guy that gets SO excited when he scores, he just seemed to care less what happened tonight.

I know it's a pickup game the level is low, but most players were at least trying and playing somewhat of a game in their own zone. Malkin was the only player hanging out at the redline and not even attempting to play D at some points. Then when he did cross the blueline, he just floated around and did nothing. When he had the puck he was non-chalant and his breakaways were painful to watch. He made a couple nice passes out there, but other than that it was very disappointing. I was hoping to see some nice exciting plays from him in this wide open game.

Oh well, as long as he keeps up his great play for us I'll be happy. It was just really weird to see him look so uninterested in this game.

Staal made some great plays out there and it was nice to hear him mic'd up. Steen tried to make some cool plays too and Kessel looked really good.

A fun game for everyone, however it looked like Malkin didn't even want to be there, which could be kind of disappointing for the fans.

He was also the only player without a point out there...wow, how does that happen in a game like this? I think this proves that he was REALLY uninterested and his play was indicitive of it.

You are sad.

Why, because I'm questioning how weird it was to see a guy that normally has so much fun on the ice looking like he was out in left field and uninterested?

Are you denying that he looked like he didn't want to be there? If you are then I guess we watched different games.

I'm not upset, I'm just wondering what happened to him. I thought he'd be out there having fun and displaying his talents like the other guys were.
Shinoix

Postby netwolf on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:53 pm

Shinoix wrote:I'm questioning how weird it was to see a guy that normally has so much fun on the ice looking like he was out in left field and uninterested?

Dude, he looks like that 95% of the time he's on the ice. Take out the time he spends celebrating goals, and it's probably about 99%.

I hardly think you can accurately gauge his emotional state just by looking at him on TV.

However, let's assume he was uncomfortable most of the night. Do you think not being able to talk much with the rest of the guys around him might have just a *little* bit to do with that?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 pm

netwolf wrote:
Shinoix wrote:I'm questioning how weird it was to see a guy that normally has so much fun on the ice looking like he was out in left field and uninterested?

Dude, he looks like that 95% of the time he's on the ice. Take out the time he spends celebrating goals, and it's probably about 99%.

I hardly think you can accurately gauge his emotional state just by looking at him on TV.

However, let's assume he was uncomfortable most of the night. Do you think not being able to talk much with the rest of the guys around him might have just a *little* bit to do with that?

Nah, once you're on the ice everything is pretty much the same, especially when you have that much talent. I don't think that had anything to do with his lack of interest and him looking bad out there.
Shinoix

Postby Kicksave on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:39 pm

Shinoix wrote:
netwolf wrote:

Nah, once you're on the ice everything is pretty much the same, especially when you have that much talent. I don't think that had anything to do with his lack of interest and him looking bad out there.

How can you not assume it doesn't effect him? You've never been in a similar situation.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guins on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:39 pm

Simple he went for the American GIRLS!!! :roll:
Guins

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:58 pm

This is the dumbest thread I've seen in awhile.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guins on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:59 pm

farnham16 wrote:This is the dumbest thread I've seen in awhile.
YOU THINK???????
Guins

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:08 pm

Wow. I really suggest you stop microanalyzing everything about Malkin and just enjoy the hockey. This is so not worth discussing that I can't believe I'm even responding to this.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Three Stars on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:11 pm

I wonder...what is the exact percentage of Penguin fans who are just miserable bastards like this, who can derive no pleasure from the team except through finding things to complain about?

I'd have to guess that Pens fans are among the most miserable in hockey.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guins on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Three Stars wrote:I wonder...what is the exact percentage of Penguin fans who are just miserable bastards like this, who can derive no pleasure from the team except through finding things to complain about?

I'd have to guess that Pens fans are among the most miserable overall.
Have you read the stuff about them leaving no matter what??? :lol:
Guins

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm

doublem wrote:
Corvidae wrote:You go to have fun and put on a show. Malkin looked like he did neither. Even when I play pickups I score a few goals. So excuse me for being a little disappointed that our young all-star was the ONLY PLAYER who didn't register a point in the young all-star game.

You playing street hockey and playing in the nhl are really the same thing. Its not a real game. Wake up.

It doesn't have to be a "real game" to score. Hence, all the players that scored. I'm not questioning anything else but his performance tonight. I'm not freaking out, but it was a bit of a let down.
Last edited by Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Three Stars wrote:I wonder...what is the exact percentage of Penguin fans who are just miserable bastards like this, who can derive no pleasure from the team except through finding things to complain about?

ah the name calling...so mature :)

Wasn't complaining, I was questioning why he was the way he was.
Shinoix

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:16 pm

Shinoix wrote:

Realism is considered a sin on this board sometimes.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:18 pm

Shinoix wrote:

"That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort."- You, kicking off your post

That sounds like a complaint or criticism. It's a shame that Malkin isn't Canadian. Maybe then you'd at least look for legitimate reasons to criticize him. Then again, you said you never used the word "effort", so maybe you've already forgotten what you posted.

Hey, I know, Malkin should be playing full tilt in this game. Then when he hurts himself, we can criticize him for being so aggressive in a scrimmage.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Three Stars on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:19 pm

Corvidae wrote:
Shinoix wrote:

There's nothing realistic about the majority of what's posted here. Realism doesn't mean counting on everything to go wrong whenever possible.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eberhard on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:21 pm

Maybe he is plain tuckered out.

12/29 @ TOR: 1 G, 1 A, 2 PTS
1/02 @ CAR: 0 G, 1 A, 1 PT
1/05 @ BUF: 1 G, 1 A, 2 PTS
1/07 @ TB: 0 G, 1 A, 1 PT
1/09 @ TB: 0 G, 0 A, 0 PT
1/10 @ FLA: 1 G, 0 A, 1 PT
1/13 @ PHI: 2 G, 1 A, 3 PTS
1/16 @ NYI: 0 G, 1 A, 1 PT
1/18 @ BOS: 2 G, 0 A, 2 PTS
1/20 @ TOR: 0 G, 5 A, 5 PTS
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:21 pm

Three Stars wrote:
Corvidae wrote:
Shinoix wrote:

There's nothing realistic about the majority of what's posted here. Realism doesn't mean counting on everything to go wrong whenever possible.

Umm... he didn't play well. That isn't a prediction. It happened. Why is it so hard to believe? It's done. No biggie. But I would have loved to see the most dominant rookie show off his talents.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby spi on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:31 pm

If the pens leave, I will partly blame Malkin for his lack of effort tonight. I mean if he showed that kind of effort it will signal that hockey wont survive in Pittsburgh.

I cant believe I just took time to respond to this. what a waste of time and I knew by the thread title it would just annoy the crap out of me.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hoox81 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:34 pm

The bottom line is that Malkin looked TOTALLY uninterested in being in the young stars game. It COULD be that he REALLY wanted to be there in the BIG game (which for all intents and purposes is just a more glorified scrimmage than the young stars game).

I'm with Shiniox and Corvidae here... Malkin looked as if he could have cared less and that's NOT really the impression you want to give the rest of the hockey world EVEN IN A SCRIMMAGE when you want to be considered one of the best!

On the other hand, it's over and behind us and he didn't get hurt...

Just my 2 cents
Hoox81
Hoox81
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby crzymike on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:36 pm

Shinoix wrote:Hey guys, did you read what I said in the post? I said, I REALIZE IT'S a PICKUP GAME and the level is low.

However, most players were giving an effort somewhat. Malkin was standing straight up and down when he had the puck and not even trying anything. It was sort of embarassing for the fans that are there watching and excited to see Malkin play.

I thought Kessel played a great game, he was having fun and trying out there.

I was questioning why Malkin was so uninterested and all around bad in this game, that's all.

I'm HARDLY worried it's affecting his play for the Pens. Like I said, as long as he keeps playing well for us, it's all good.

Get your panties out of a bunch boys, wow.
Evgeni Malkin skills are far superior to any in this game, its a joke! He should have been along side SC and AO in the big game!
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:37 pm

spi wrote:If the pens leave, I will partly blame Malkin for his lack of effort tonight. I mean if he showed that kind of effort it will signal that hockey wont survive in Pittsburgh.

I cant believe I just took time to respond to this. what a waste of time and I knew by the thread title it would just annoy the crap out of me.

No one is making a big deal out of it. So why did you reply like that? And no, starting a thread about it doesn't count as "big deal." His lack of interest in the game was surprising. But even more surprising are the people that don't seem to understand why anyone would be surprised.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:45 pm

I figured with all your recent props for Malkin, you'd maybe stopped riding the guys jock for a living.

Get the hell over it and stop wasting my time. It's the damn youngstars game for God's sake.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:53 pm

Jesse wrote:I figured with all your recent props for Malkin, you'd maybe stopped riding the guys jock for a living.

Get the hell over it and stop wasting my time. It's the damn youngstars game for God's sake.

So you can honestly say that when Malkin was the only guy on both teams, in a 9-8 game, to not register a point, you didn't at least go "huh, what's up with that?" I don't care if it's a Young All-Star game - it's still unexpected. I don't think any less of him as a player, but I was surprised that he didn't showcase his talents better. Is that such a terrible thing to say?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joopen on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:58 pm

useless thread... all in favor of deletion say I!
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins