Why did Malkin even go to the Young Guns game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:03 pm

joopen wrote:useless thread... all in favor of deletion say I!

If every thread deemed useless was deleted, the board would have two or three threads, tops. And I don't think Admin has the time or concern to do that.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guido on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 pm

It's just an exhibition for the young skaters to show off their offensive capabilities and for the goalies to make spectacular saves. Both of which were achieved.

I do believe Malkin had the only hit in the game, though!
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 pm

I see what Shinoix is saying, watching it, was I disappointed a little bit to see Malkin not put on some awesome moves and net a couple beauties? Yeah, a bit...in the grand scheme does it matter? absolutely freakin not...
It's just some little 4 on 4 pond hockey game really, so no one really cares, but Malkin coming in alone from center on Budaj and absolutely ripping him in half with a move would have been pretty sweet, no? Again, I don't care that much, but it would have been cool no more, no less...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby fourtKNOX on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:05 pm

well I believe Netwolf brings up a good pt... that some other ppl just threw aside... he doesnt speak the english... and only new 2 of the guys...

I will also go as far as to say that in Pittsburgh or with the Pens... ppl probably cater to him... making sure he is comfortable... with the language and such... in Dallas... with all the starts... I am not so sure this would happen

Somebody brought up being tuckered out... I could see him being emotionally drained... I really dont think so physically though!

Also... he has mentioned that he was disappointed in not making the big game... I believe that is why he went on a tear the last few weeks leading up to this... when they came out with the rosters... he started lighting it up... so yes he could have been uninterested...

The young stars game is simply that... young... stars... Malkin is young... and a star... who skated around a bit... and met some of the other NHL players this week... thats it... its a good experience for him!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:06 pm

alright fine don't delete it just for the love of moses there is no need to break down his motivation or drive in this game. no one cares, he didn't get hurt everyone moves on and has a good time.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:09 pm

joopen wrote:alright fine don't delete it just for the love of moses there is no need to break down his motivation or drive in this game. no one cares, he didn't get hurt everyone moves on and has a good time.

I can drink to that. Mostly just because I'm a sad alcoholic, but also because I agree.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:11 pm

Corvidae wrote:
Jesse wrote:I figured with all your recent props for Malkin, you'd maybe stopped riding the guys jock for a living.

Get the hell over it and stop wasting my time. It's the damn youngstars game for God's sake.

So you can honestly say that when Malkin was the only guy on both teams, in a 9-8 game, to not register a point, you didn't at least go "huh, what's up with that?" I don't care if it's a Young All-Star game - it's still unexpected. I don't think any less of him as a player, but I was surprised that he didn't showcase his talents better. Is that such a terrible thing to say?

Yeah, I can honestly say that.

Corvidae, you put it succinctly, Shinoix on the other hand was being his typical anti-geno self.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby rb44 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:14 pm

:roll: at this entire thread :roll: just another thing for the never happy here to complain about :roll:
rb44
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:16 pm

[quote="rb44"]:roll: at this entire thread :roll: just another thing for the never happy here to complain about :roll:[/quote

I'm sure that if/when we get that new arena, someone will find something to bicker about.

It's pretty sad, actually.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby rb44 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:25 pm

Im sure they will bicker at that too. Someone will complain cause there 32oz beverage doesnt fit right in the new cup holders :roll:
rb44
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:30 pm

rb44 wrote:Im sure they will bicker at that too. Someone will complain cause there 32oz beverage doesnt fit right in the new cup holders :roll:

If my 32oz beverage doesn't fit in the new cup holders, I will seriously flip out. I will jump onto the ice and attack the linesman. God help them if my 32oz doesn't fit in the cup holders. And if they have no cup holders at all? Let's just say, things could get bad in biblical proportions.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joopen on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 pm

no no no the cup holder for the 32 oz beverage will be coin activated to cover the parking revenue that barden wants.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shinoix on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:51 am

Corvidae wrote:
Jesse wrote:I figured with all your recent props for Malkin, you'd maybe stopped riding the guys jock for a living.

Get the hell over it and stop wasting my time. It's the damn youngstars game for God's sake.

So you can honestly say that when Malkin was the only guy on both teams, in a 9-8 game, to not register a point, you didn't at least go "huh, what's up with that?" I don't care if it's a Young All-Star game - it's still unexpected. I don't think any less of him as a player, but I was surprised that he didn't showcase his talents better. Is that such a terrible thing to say?

Exactly my point!
Shinoix

Postby Shinoix on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:52 am

rb44 wrote:Im sure they will bicker at that too. Someone will complain cause there 32oz beverage doesnt fit right in the new cup holders :roll:

their, not there
Shinoix

Postby Shinoix on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:56 am

Rocco wrote:
Shinoix wrote:
Three Stars wrote:I wonder...what is the exact percentage of Penguin fans who are just miserable bastards like this, who can derive no pleasure from the team except through finding things to complain about?

I'd have to guess that Pens fans are among the most miserable in hockey.

ah the name calling...so mature :)

Wasn't complaining, I was questioning why he was the way he was.

"That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort."- You, kicking off your post

That sounds like a complaint or criticism. It's a shame that Malkin isn't Canadian. Maybe then you'd at least look for legitimate reasons to criticize him. Then again, you said you never used the word "effort", so maybe you've already forgotten what you posted.

Hey, I know, Malkin should be playing full tilt in this game. Then when he hurts himself, we can criticize him for being so aggressive in a scrimmage.

Yup, now it's a racial thing!

And where did I ask him to go full out? Nobody did, but most guys were putting forth a bit of an effort. If I was there and paid to see this game I would have been pretty disappointed with what I saw from Malkin. Especially if I was going there with excitment to see the league's leading rookie scorer.

It would have been nice to see him showcase his talents and have some fun. I was only questioning why he looked so uninterested and lethargic while every other player looked like they were somewhat trying and having fun.
Shinoix

Postby Shinoix on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:59 am

Hoox81 wrote:The bottom line is that Malkin looked TOTALLY uninterested in being in the young stars game. It COULD be that he REALLY wanted to be there in the BIG game (which for all intents and purposes is just a more glorified scrimmage than the young stars game).

I'm with Shiniox and Corvidae here... Malkin looked as if he could have cared less and that's NOT really the impression you want to give the rest of the hockey world EVEN IN A SCRIMMAGE when you want to be considered one of the best!

On the other hand, it's over and behind us and he didn't get hurt...

Just my 2 cents
Hoox81

Exactly...so even if he was mad that he didn't make the big game, is that any reason to put forth that type of effort? That's not the type of thing you want to do in your first year in league. I'm not saying that's the reason, but some people are suggesting that.
Shinoix

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 am

Shinoix wrote:

In that case it would be a "nationality thing" - A racial thing would be based on color, and last I checked Malkin didn't look like he was a different race from Staal. Now a NATIONALITY thing, beinng as one comes from Russia and the other from Canada, that would make more sense.

Seriously though, so what? Having pride in ones country is a good thing, rooting for players from a certain country (which we do in the Olympics and WC) isn't wrong. It's a fact that many Canadians have a preference for Canadian players (I think you might get a taste of that if you ever saw Don Cherry host one of his classic Canadian broadcasts).

So Shinoix isn't wrong for prefering Candian players and "Canadian Style" hockey.

Personally, I think the whole "All-Star" thing just doesn't work in Hockey. Heck it doesn't work in most sports. If any sport counts on it's All-Star game to recruit fans to it's sport... well they're very misguided.

All-Star games are really for the players, the fans of the city hosting the game, and a small subset of he fan base at large (probably the same fans who open the newspaper to the People section first or subscribe to US magazine).

Whatever, I agree that Malkin blew an opportunity to show a large audience what outstanding skills he possesses. Will it be his last chance? Obviously not. Does it matter in the overall scheme of things? No.

Let's wait till the playoffs :lol: before we pass judgement.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby penny lane on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 am

That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort.

True colors shining through
...cyndi lauper

You take a position on Geno daily; don't change willy-nilly
with his every shift.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby south jersey pen on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:45 am

From what I saw, nobody, not just Malkin, attempted to play D.
south jersey pen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:51 am

eberhard wrote:Maybe he is plain tuckered out.

12/29 @ TOR: 1 G, 1 A, 2 PTS
1/02 @ CAR: 0 G, 1 A, 1 PT
1/05 @ BUF: 1 G, 1 A, 2 PTS
1/07 @ TB: 0 G, 1 A, 1 PT
1/09 @ TB: 0 G, 0 A, 0 PT
1/10 @ FLA: 1 G, 0 A, 1 PT
1/13 @ PHI: 2 G, 1 A, 3 PTS
1/16 @ NYI: 0 G, 1 A, 1 PT
1/18 @ BOS: 2 G, 0 A, 2 PTS
1/20 @ TOR: 0 G, 5 A, 5 PTS

Maybe he just doesnt' give a sh-t, which describes just about everyone in regards to this game.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Why did Malkin even go to the Young Guns game?

Postby André on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:55 am

Shinoix wrote:For a guy who's dream it was to play in the NHL and a guy that gets SO excited when he scores

The latter proves the first.

Who cares about the young stars game.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:52 am

Do you suppose maybe Malkin was told the same thing Staal was?

"...but the coaches were telling me I should stand on the blue line and wait for the pass," Staal said."

Perhaps Malkin was actually told to do what he did. Nah, that couldn't be it, because it would leave you no excuse to bash Malkin. :roll:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:06 am

Daniel wrote:Do you suppose maybe Malkin was told the same thing Staal was?

"...but the coaches were telling me I should stand on the blue line and wait for the pass," Staal said."

Perhaps Malkin was actually told to do what he did. Nah, that couldn't be it, because it would leave you no excuse to bash Malkin. :roll:

Absolutely agree with you on this on, Daniel. the rest of the article http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756293-61.stm also supplements this idea that malkin viewed it as an important/special time and he cherished it....not half-assed it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jimmy66 on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Shinoix wrote:That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort.

For a guy who's dream it was to play in the NHL and a guy that gets SO excited when he scores, he just seemed to care less what happened tonight.

I know it's a pickup game the level is low, but most players were at least trying and playing somewhat of a game in their own zone. Malkin was the only player hanging out at the redline and not even attempting to play D at some points. Then when he did cross the blueline, he just floated around and did nothing. When he had the puck he was non-chalant and his breakaways were painful to watch. He made a couple nice passes out there, but other than that it was very disappointing. I was hoping to see some nice exciting plays from him in this wide open game.

Oh well, as long as he keeps up his great play for us I'll be happy. It was just really weird to see him look so uninterested in this game.

Staal made some great plays out there and it was nice to hear him mic'd up. Steen tried to make some cool plays too and Kessel looked really good.

A fun game for everyone, however it looked like Malkin didn't even want to be there, which could be kind of disappointing for the fans.

He was also the only player without a point out there...wow, how does that happen in a game like this? I think this proves that he was REALLY uninterested and his play was indicitive of it.

What an absolute waste of time writing about a fun game that means nothing.
Jimmy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:22 pm

Shinoix wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Shinoix wrote:
Three Stars wrote:I wonder...what is the exact percentage of Penguin fans who are just miserable bastards like this, who can derive no pleasure from the team except through finding things to complain about?

I'd have to guess that Pens fans are among the most miserable in hockey.

ah the name calling...so mature :)

Wasn't complaining, I was questioning why he was the way he was.

"That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort."- You, kicking off your post

That sounds like a complaint or criticism. It's a shame that Malkin isn't Canadian. Maybe then you'd at least look for legitimate reasons to criticize him. Then again, you said you never used the word "effort", so maybe you've already forgotten what you posted.

Hey, I know, Malkin should be playing full tilt in this game. Then when he hurts himself, we can criticize him for being so aggressive in a scrimmage.

And where did I ask him to go full out? Nobody did, but most guys were putting forth a bit of an effort. If I was there and paid to see this game I would have been pretty disappointed with what I saw from Malkin. Especially if I was going there with excitment to see the league's leading rookie scorer.

It would have been nice to see him showcase his talents and have some fun. I was only questioning why he looked so uninterested and lethargic while every other player looked like they were somewhat trying and having fun.

excitement not excitment.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins